Upgrading from Zorin 12 Ultimate to version 15

Re: Upgrading from Zorin 12 Ultimate to version 15

Postby Aravisian » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 am

JeffK969 wrote:Agreed.... Almost like the warm hot coco after shoveling snow for several hours...
Ok, maybe not the same..haha But there is a certain level of comfort and ease/enjoyment that keeps you around...

After much though, I decided that I shall just pay for the ultimate version, and just use the non-ultimate Core & XFCE.
Or maybe the Ultimate Lite, since I'm curious how quick it can run with all those extra packages...

Will be able to post on here until 2027, right? That would come out to roughly $5 a year for 8 years....
Plus, it would be helping the cause (which is the major reason to do it. And the Right one...)..

Is Zorin os 12.4 Lite worth $40?
What do people spend buying video games? And don't let's get started about downloadable content.
And even Flash Games on their phone... I have seen people drop thousands of dollars playing Vikings War of Clans (Recommendation, DON'T play it. It's all drama and no fun.)
Back when I worked at Roto Rooter, I used to stop at McDonalds a lot. You know, always on the road... One month, I calculated out what I was spending on fast food each month- it came out to a little over $500. That's more than a car payment. On something poorly made, unsatisfying and doomed to be turned into poo.
I balked at my truck payment. Yet, $500 a month or so was worth it for that fast convenience of bad food?
We are funny creatures with odd priorities. I pretty much never go to McDonalds, now.
Zorin OS Lite is worth something. I am not going to suggest a value. But when you think about what we have really paid to Microsoft... Over the years OR over just a short time... How much we regularly spend on useless junk and expendables. And on greedy marketing, nothing more. Those taking advantage of addictive nature. How many flash games boldly advertise how addicting they are?
Did I say we are funny creatures? I meant stupid.
Aravisian

Postby Swarfendor437 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Here in the UK, local 'State' providers of services are going to face a huge bill in January - if they don't move from 7 to 10 they will face a charge of $50 (£38 in April/May when the article written - probably nearer to the US$ amount now with the weakening pound) per machine, with the cost doubling each year for three years, and organisations that currently use Windows 10 are facing a corporate bill jumping from £214,000 to £450,000 per year. This in turn will lead to reduced services and job losses. :twisted:
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby JeffK969 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:29 pm

I hear ya both. Got the Ultimate version last night. Now just waiting on the Ultimate Lite 15 link.... So I'm good until 2027, or until the next version comes out and I upgrade again...
A truly justified expense in my opinion. Kinda upset that it took me a while to come around..
Dell Inspiron 3847 (Dual Boot - Linux Mint MATE 19.2 & Zorin Ultimate)
Gateway DX4200 & Dell D630: Linux Mint XFCE
Linux User since Oct 2017 - XFCE is my preferred preference.
JeffK969

Postby tambler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:01 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Here in the UK, local 'State' providers of services are going to face a huge bill in January - if they don't move from 7 to 10 they will face a charge of $50 (£38 in April/May when the article written - probably nearer to the US$ amount now with the weakening pound) per machine, with the cost doubling each year for three years, and organisations that currently use Windows 10 are facing a corporate bill jumping from £214,000 to £450,000 per year. This in turn will lead to reduced services and job losses. :twisted:

Alternatively, the service providers could ditch the proprietary dysfunctional bloatware and migrate to Linux. Lots of distros to choose from depending on company requirements but there is a distro for every purpose and the learning curve is minimal - especially with a fully equipped flexible distro such as Zorin!
This migration has worked very well in many locations and the only real stumbling block would appear to be the "state officials" who allow their powers of reasoning to be unduly influenced by attractive proprietary backhanders.
Machine for Zorin 15: Fujitsu Esprimo P700 Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G6 8GB RAM
tambler

Previous

Return to Installation