This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Aborted installation corrupted my computer firmware?

raxxa

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:47:16 pm

Hi

I have a laptop (ASUS from 2013) w/ Win10 installed. Downloaded Zorin OS 15 Core, made a bootable USB (using Rufus) Booted from that, it worked perfectly.

Then I started the Zorin installation, chose to install alongside win10, but aborted the installation wizard after the step where you get to enter some key or something for Secure Boot. After that I shutdown my computer.
But the next time I tried to boot from the same live usb I get these error messages on bootup:

Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi: Not Found
Failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed
: Not Found

I tried to re-create the Zorin Live USB w/ a bunch of other programs on windows (Rufus, Etcher, UnetBootin etc) but I always get the same error messages on bootup.

Could it be that the Zorin installation wizard did something to the key db for Secure Boot that now is preventing me from booting from the Zorin Live USB? Or what is this? It used to work but suddenly it doesn't (!)
(I can still boot into my installed Win10 btw and other Live Linux distros)

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00:56 pm

Hi, read this askubuntu thread very carefully. Please let us know what worked for you:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1085550 ... -not-found

raxxa

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:57:44 pm

Apparently this is a known bug in Ubuntu (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1798171)

I did read that askubuntu thread and I managed to get things working again by making a copy of the grubx64.efi file in /EFI/BOOT on the Live USB and renaming it to mmx64.efi

Thank you

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:40:42 am

Can this thread be marked as [SOLVED]? ;) :D

raxxa

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:41:43 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Can this thread be marked as [SOLVED]? ;) :D

Yes