This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Can't install Zorin 15!

sharky

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53:48 pm

I have a Samsung R780 laptop with that Zorin on it.
Currently it works very well with Zorin Ultimate 12.4
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120 Gb

I change disc (SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120 Gb) to test Zorin 15 Core, impossible!
I tried different method but nothing passes

Make the key with Rufus or Etcher
Installed try normale, Safe graphics, Nvidia
With or without update
With or without third-party software

After install the machine need reboot. But I only have a cursor that flashes at the top left after booting.
As if Grub doesn't settle down!

I have try Mint or Ubuntu with same problem with same setting !

Thanks for your support

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:30:14 pm

I wonder if this issue is similar to this?

https://superuser.com/questions/549259/ ... tu/1063247

Aravisian

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:01:29 pm

Since the first answer supplied in Swarfendors link says:
Your motherboard is now dead and needs to be replaced.

There is a bug with Samsung UEFI (similar to BIOS) that means that Linux can completely brick the mobo.

I want to point out that this is not necessarily the case.

I have had that same issue with the blinking cursor in upper left twice on one notebook and once on this machine.
So, don't panic just yet.

First, see if you can just boot into BIOS at all. If you cannot Skip to #2 below.
1.) Press the appropriate key for that machine (F2 or F8 or F10 or whatever it is you young whippersnappers are doing these days) the same way you would do to boot into Safe Mode or to change the Boot Order.
If you can do that-thumbs up. That's a good sign. From there move to the right and then see if UEFI or Legacy is selected. (For me, switching to Legacy resolved the issue). Whichever it is set to, just try the opposite.
Then see if you can install again.
If that fails, I would take your USB stick and reformat it to FAT32 completely, then use unetbootin or multi-boot to make a bootable copy of your OS of choice and then try again.

Jack answered in Swarfendors link (Before proceeding, go to the Boot Screen and switch to UEFI if it is not already set there):
I know this thread is old now, but what I did to fix the issue was to create a UEFI boot usb drive with windows 10 (I assume 8 would work as well), and booted into the setup (the system still seems to boot into UEFI usb drives). In the repair section, you have the option to boot into the UEFI bios. That did (at least in my case) bring up the bios again, and you can set it back to default settings in the exit menu area, and it will set it back from CSM Only to the default.

In my case I was set the bios to CSM Only to try booting from UBCD to test the drive. It caused the system to boot to the Samsung screen, no F2 or F4 options even, and restart. That fixed it for me, and hopefully can help anyone else having this issue. Oh, I also upgraded the BIOS from the samsung site after that worked, and the F2 at start-up worked again.

Please update.

sharky

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:05:13 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your answers
I've tried several things.
Currently what works is to call the bioS/UEFI start-up menu and select Ubuntu that appeared
But I don't want this final solution

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:09:31 pm

I know where you are coming from. I get the same when EFI is turned on in my BIOS. If you can turn it off and/or turn off Windows boot manager it should boot.

sharky

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:27:41 pm

Hi,

This solution work at me !
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Aravisian

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29:45 pm

sharky wrote:Hi,

This solution work at me !
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Great news.
And now, the rest of us know, too. I bookmarked that link.
Could you please hit "edit" on your first post and type "SOLVED" in the title?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:37:33 pm

Ah. Boot repair was something that Wolfman posted as far back as, Zorin 6 on post install guides. I have to say in earlier iterations of Zorin it never worked for me. ;)

Glad to hear it fixed it for you. :D

Retr0

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:50:28 am

Hello everyone. I'm still new in Zorin OS and never use any linux os actually.
I have my old PC (Aspire AM1201) and I want to revive my old PC by using Zorin OS...
so which version should I install on my PC and do I need to install any driver like sound driver or anything??

Aravisian

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:59:36 am

Retr0 wrote:Hello everyone. I'm still new in Zorin OS and never use any linux os actually.
I have my old PC (Aspire AM1201) and I want to revive my old PC by using Zorin OS...
so which version should I install on my PC and do I need to install any driver like sound driver or anything??

I would put Zorin 12.4 Lite on it:
https://zorinos.com/download/12/lite/
This comes with the lightweight Desktop Environment of XFCE, which is not only good on lower specs, but also is Rockin' Configurable and Customizable.
It will come with everything you need in the way of drivers. Are you looking to dual boot (I hope not) alongside windows or do a Fresh install of Linux, only (Much better... hint... hint...)?
If you are looking to just run Zorin OS on the machine alone, installation is quite easy. Just follow the prompts.

When Swarfendor gets a chance later, maybe he can fission this off into its own thread.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:07:32 am

Retr0 wrote:Hello everyone. I'm still new in Zorin OS and never use any linux os actually.

In future, please start your own thread and don't hijack others as it will confuse visitors to the site - future occurrences may lead to a temporary ban - continual hijacking of threads will lead to a permanent one. ;)