This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Reinstal 12.4 get "not listed" login screen

zabadabadoo

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:07:04 pm

Im having fun (not) reinstalling 12.4 Core. Now get a login screen with no users listed and saying "not listed?".
Attempts to enter user and password fail.
Do I have to reinstall over again, or is there a solution?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:11:56 pm

Does any of Bernard Wei's posts help from here?:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1061184 ... -18-04-lts

In the meantime, can you try the following:

Once at the login screen, press Ctrl+ Alt+ F4 - you should be presented with a terminal login prompt that asks for your user name - after entry you will be asked for your password. Once logged in this way enter 'startx' - this should hopefully bring up your desktop.

Keep us posted. ;)

zabadabadoo

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:58:20 pm

Hi Swarf,
I have given up on 12.4 and have now installed 15 instead.
I am now trying to figure out how to add another User.
Also how to get other software like Synaptic, which is not listed under Software on this version.
So new version 15 (Core) is not so straightforward IMO.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:07:23 am

Pretty sure it was there on my install on Software. Have you checked that your updates are set to Main Server? Also check the manual I created which covers Users. To aid you, go to Settings | Details (at bottom) and Users are in there. You just have select plus on interface. Regarding synaptic you can always install via Terminal with:

Code:
sudo apt install synaptic

;) :D

zabadabadoo

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:11:39 am

@Swarf,
I know we are going off subject now that I am using 15Core not 12.4Core.
To reply.
I had forgotten to set software update server to Main until your reminder. That will help thanks.
I got to Synaptic PM by typing it in under Search within Software, so now have that installed ok to get rkhunter.
Adding second user is not intuitive in 15. You have to unlock the padlock which then allows changes. Then had grief setting their initial password. It kept rejecting as not not strong even after saying it was when first typed. Think there is a bug there. Gave that up and selected other option to allow second user to type their password on login. That worked ok with no fuss.
So I am gradually getting 15 to where I was on 12.4. Fingers crossed.
Your unofficial manual for 15 has improved since I last had a look and a reference I use.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:37:16 pm

Glad you are liking it - I think I need to tweak the Contents page a bit as I go on so people can 'hyperlink' to the essential bit they need at any time. Glad you are getting along with 15 and your initial teething problems sorted. ;) :D