This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Swap partition or Swapfile for Zorin OS 15 Core

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:55:26 am

Hi there,

I was wondering if you should also create a swap partition when creating partitions for installing Zorin OS 15 Core?
I ask this because since Ubuntu 18.04 there is no need for a swap partition anymore and a swap file is automatically created during installation.

For new installs, a swap file will be used by default instead of a swap partition.

see: Ubuntu 18.04

Does Zorin OS 15 Core also make a swap file such as Ubuntu 18.04 or not during the installation itself?

Aravisian

Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:19:00 am

According to the installation instructions, the user must create a swap partition.
Also, according to this site, a swap partition must be created:
https://www.linuxtechi.com/zorin-os-15- ... reenshots/

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:35:58 am

According to the official Zorin OS 15 Core instructions, no explanation is given for installing a swap patition with the option "something else".

According to the official Ubuntu 18.04 installation manual, there is a report of a swap file instead of a swap partition which is added automatically upon installation.
I suspect that this is also the case with Zorin OS 15 Core.

Regarding the installation manual of the site you indicate, it is not official, I would like to hear from Zorin OS first hand how things are now

Aravisian

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:26:53 pm

Hensyr Wolf wrote:According to the official Zorin OS 15 Core instructions, no explanation is given for installing a swap patition with the option "something else".

According to the official Ubuntu 18.04 installation manual, there is a report of a swap file instead of a swap partition which is added automatically upon installation.

Regarding the installation manual of the site you indicate, it is not official, I would like to hear from Zorin OS first hand how things are now

In my opinion, it is better a question gets some immediate response, even if it's not a full answer, than no response or at least a long wait for one.

Of course, all of your points are entirely correct. My logic was more a "safe better than sorry" response than a full answer.
Perhaps Swarfendor might know and may chime in shortly and it'll be gravy. Maybe not.
Finding an answer by Duckling or Googling the question may not yield much, though it will yield a lot about Ubuntu Bionic Beaver. So it's a really good question to ask and since you asked it here, maybe the spiders will pick it up and carry it forward to help others that look for the same.
I agree, for what it is worth. It seems highly likely that Zorin 15 would have the same operation. I'm too ignorant to give any certainty to that.

I would recommend you shoot a PM to Azorin on here and repeat this question there to draw attention to it.
I have never bought Ultimate Zorin, yet, every time I sent Artyom Zorin a PM on here asking a question, he never failed to reply with an answer to it.
It is for that reason that the Zorin Team has earned my respect, even if it is only Two fellas incredibly keeping up with responding to a LOT of Help requests along with maintaining the updates and development of the O.S.
So be warned, it may take some time for a reply to arrive. As they say, good things come to those who wait. If you could, please update this thread when it arrives OR if you find the answer prior to that.

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:40:15 pm

Thanks Aravisian, if I don't have an answer from Swarfendor I will ask the question to the dev team.
Thank you for your honest answer.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:50:36 pm

I was not aware of the swap file - I think this happens with Auto Install - on previous iterations I once did an Auto Install and then the swap area was always allocated at the end of the drive. Following a recent article I read (by recent about a month or so ago) swap should be double your installed RAM.
I always use the 'something else' method as it means my /home partition will always be available should '/' go sideways. ;) :D

MBMz10

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:51:20 pm

Hensyr Wolf wrote:According to the official Ubuntu 18.04 installation manual, there is a report of a swap file instead of a swap partition which is added automatically upon installation.

This is a Zorin 15 virtual machine with a 'default' install using the whole (virtual) drive and it created the partitions and 'swapfile' that shows as 1.9 GiB Swap on the system monitor.

Zorin Swap.png

I have a Linux Mint 19.1 system (also built on 18.04) and no swap space but a swap file in the root of the drive / and the file is called swapfile the same as Zorin 15.
I have seen tutorials about increasing the size of the file but seems no option on Zorin or Mint to Hibernate. As I suspend my Mint system often I see that it uses the swapfile, although not in the screen shot above.

So Yes, Zorin OS 15 Core does create a swap file during the installation.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:00:37 pm

Hi MBMz10, that will be for auto - perhaps this will settle the difference:

https://www.itsupportwale.com/blog/manu ... s-desktop/

Which clearly indicates the need to create a swap partition. ;) :D

MBMz10

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:23:38 pm

I did a test install on Zorin 12.4 Core, Not 15. I did 'something else' and did not create a swap area and got this error

Zorin 12.4 No Swap Error.png

Just to see if I would be prompted to do so. The question was eating at me. Going to try a few test installs on Zorin 15 now and see what happens...

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:34:43 pm

Going to try a few test installs on Zorin 15 now and see what happens...

Please let us know about the outcome

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:50:46 pm

In my VM version of 15 Core which I used for the unofficial manual, swapfile is 711 Mb out of 4 Gb I allocated to the VM from my 16 Gb and is located inside of '/' - as it is a VM I did not bother doing the something else method but I would ALWAYS recommend it over the auto installation method regardless of which GNU/Linux distribution I was installing. Technically there are other partitions that should really be created and PCLinuxOS 2007 gave the best auto install example of that allocating partitions for etc, var and so on. ;) :D

swapfile in vm.jpg

MBMz10

Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:46:05 pm

Zorin 12.4 Core with no swap space and only 1 GB RAM (VM), it installed and ran OK until I started to open a few apps, then used all it s RAM and eventually became unusable.

Zorin 12.4 Core No Swap 1GB.png

Zorin OS 15 Core (VM) with 2 GB RAM, I did 'something else' and created an 8 GB swap space, and it recognized and used it. No 'swapfile' was visable in /
Zorin 15 Core 8GBSwapSpace.png

I loaded it up until all the RAM was used, as evidenced by the Icons on the Panel, and about 1.9 GB of swap as well, it became very very slow, still running (crawling) though.

So your original question "does Zorin 15 Core create a swapfile" yes it does, HOWEVER it will also use a swap partition if you create one during the install.
Happy to try a few other things if you want more info.

MBMz10

Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:58:05 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:In my VM version of 15 Core which I used for the unofficial manual, swapfile is 711 Mb out of 4 Gb I allocated to the VM from my 16 Gb and is located inside of '/' - as it is a VM I did not bother doing the something else method but I would ALWAYS recommend it over the auto installation method regardless of which GNU/Linux distribution I was installing. Technically there are other partitions that should really be created and PCLinuxOS 2007 gave the best auto install example of that allocating partitions for etc, var and so on. ;) :D

swapfile in vm.jpg

Interesting, I have 2 machines (hardware installs) with 18.04 derivatives that I just did 'default' installs on, one with 2 GB RAM the other 4 GB RAM and the available 'swap' (in system monitor) and swap-file (in file manager) are both 2 GB!
I suspend both these machines often and they always use the swap-file to some degree, as expected.

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:27:15 pm

So the conclusion may be that a swap partition is desirable when installing Zorin OS 15 Core even though a swap file is created.

Thank you MBMz10 for installing and trying out the swap options

MBMz10

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:02:49 am

Hensyr Wolf wrote:So the conclusion may be that a swap partition is desirable when installing Zorin OS 15 Core even though a swap file is created.

Thank you MBMz10 for installing and trying out the swap options

Firstly, you are welcome. You asked a great question and got a nice debate going. It was a good learning experience.
Seeing how the machine degraded as it was running out of RAM and using ever more swap was enlightening.

Note that NO swapfile was created (Zorin 15) on the install I made a swap-area / partition, only when doing a 'default' (not manually setting a swap partition) install did it create a swapfile but no swap-area / partition. I only did the Zorin 12.4 test to see if it would prompt about swap if I manually partitioned and 'forgot' about swap, which it did. Zorin 15 will just create the swapfile unless you create a swap-area / partition.

I would conclude that if a swap partition is desired, because you know about such things, you can do it. If not, Zorin does it own thing and it just works anyway.
Love that Linux is all about choice and options :D

Below explains why this thread sparked my curiosity, read at your own risk!

My old machine has 4 GB RAM, most distro's (Mint Zorin etc) would create a 4 GB Swap Partition when I installed them. Some people say your swap should be double your RAM, on the 64 GB SSD I was using, that was a considerable amount of lost storage, especially when seeing the RAM usage rarely went much over 1 GB for what I was generally doing, hardly ever hitting 2 GB RAM and somewhere around then it would start using the swap, sometimes only KB or MB into swap.
I discovered you can change the 'swappiness' value, the threshold at which swap begins to be utilised, to make it use RAM rather than swap, I paid for the RAM so want to use it.
This was even more apparent when my new machine had 16 GB RAM, hardly used 2 GB of that, but was writing to swap, why buy all that RAM?

As I started to change over to SSD's from HDD it was similar, with SSD's, you should 'over provision' or leave a portion unformmated, the more the better, to enable it to 'share the ware' and not constantly be writing to the same cells (area) as they have a limited amount or write cycles, don't quote me on any of this its a layman’s generalisation.
It was enough to make my head hurt. So I just use them as I see fit and apparently the newer SSD's do much of this themselves. I have some SSD's that must be about 5 years old and used everyday that are still going strong, one even has a 10 year warranty.

My point is everyone has an opinion on such matters, Distro makers configure their product to suit their 'target' users, component manufactures the same. I want to use the RAM I bought, even if it is just to make me feel good, so I change the swappiness and I throw SSD's into machines and just use them, if they start to fail after 2 or 3 years maybe I change my stance, 5 years, well I've had HDD's fail in 5 years.

My 2 machines that have default installs (one has 2 GB RAM one has 4 GB RAM) and I suspend often, just work, they write to swap often and sometimes have hundred's of MB in swap.
My 16 GB RAM machine has the swappiness changed and a 4 GB swap partition (default install) on a 128 GB SSD, I'm on it right now, its using 1.7 GB RAM and no swap, I am about to start a VM ( I give them 8 GB RAM because I can) and watch the RAM usage go up to around 10-12 GB with no swap usage and do I feel good about that....
RAM Usage.png

Zorin have a product that will 'just work' out of the box, they don't mention the swap in their install instructions as it is taken care of automatically. Perfect for a new Linux user to get up and running. Unless you have a particular need to change the default install, such as me with my swappiness vanity hangup thing, you will be just fine.

Aravisian

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:14:10 am

MBMz10, outta the ballpark.

MBMz10

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:32:04 am

Aravisian wrote:MBMz10, outta the ballpark.

kicked out again :D

To be honest, it was you an Swaf that spurred me along as I wondered why you would bother about swap partitions and quiet frankly I thought that the system would ignore them if created and just use the swapfile. I was rather surprised when I saw Zorin 15 showing the 8 GB (7.7) swap being used in the system monitor and no swapfile present in the file manager.

The OP asked a great question that got us all thinking about it. Linux is so awesome as far as choice goes. Together we are AWESOME.

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58:18 am

Ok I think I understand, but I'm not sure.
Please bear in mind that I do not speak English.
My native language is Dutch and I have a Dutch-speaking Zorin OS Forum.
So I make manuals in Dutch for installing Zorin OS 15 Core with the option "something else".
I now use a Google translator to express myself here.
Can I assume that when installing with the "something else" option no swap file will be created?
But that you still have to make a swap partition?

MBMz10

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:57:43 pm

Hensyr Wolf wrote:Can I assume that when installing with the "something else" option no swap file will be created?
But that you still have to make a swap partition?

If you create a 'swap space/partition' Zorin will use it and NOT make a swapfile regardless of the method (something else or auto/default)

If you choose something else and make ANY partitions but DO NOT make a 'swap space/partition' Zorin WILL MAKE a swapfile automatically.

If you make a swap area it will use it. If you don't it will make a swapfile even if you make OTHER partitions.

You DO NOT have to make a swap partition if you don't want one.

I hope that translates OK into your language. Ask again if you need to.

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:24:09 pm

Splendid, thanks for your clear explanation