This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] First time LINUX Installation problem.

iwestbury

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:48:53 pm

Hi All.

This is my first time attempting to install Linux and unfortunately it is failing. I have trawled the forums and Google and I don't know where else to look. If this has already been resolved I apologize and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. It all started on a YouTube video where the installation was straightforward and looked so easy! I have downloaded and flashed the installation file onto two separate USB sticks. My system is as follows:

ASUS Laptop X553m
Intel Celeron 2.16GHz
4 GB RAM
Running (slowly) Win 10
Unallocated partition of 300GB created

In Windows Power Options, I turned off the Fast Boot option.

BIOS - Secure Boot disabled, CSM Enabled, Fast Boot disabled. Boot option set to USB drive. In the OS selected option I can only select either Windows 8.X or Windows 7. I've tried both. I was hoping for a UEFI option.

It boots into the Zorin menu. Power OFF option works fine. None of the others do? The screen goes black and a cursor appears in the top corner and stays like that. Resetting the system to previous config allows booting into Win 10 fine. Both USB drives do the same thing. Unfortunately the same thing happens when I try to install Ubuntu so it's either me or the system.

Reading a previous post, I tried adding 'no nomodeset' to the command lines. In the safe graphics option that actually booted to a ZORIN splash screen but hung there. That's the best I've got so far.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:46:06 pm

Hi, I've been looking at Asus Notebooks in Department Store and like my Asus Mobo there should be also an option to turn off Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS (Not present on all Asus Notebooks). You will also need to boot into Windows 10 and go into the Advanced Power Options to turn off the Hard Drive sleep mode which also bauks attempts to install any other OS. Another issue is that, (can only speak from HP experience) is that you will find 4 primary partitions present on Notebooks (Drivers partition, C Drive, Recovery Partition, System partition - You need to look carefully at which partition needs to be removed! ;) :D

iwestbury

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:19:17 pm

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I had already disabled the Fast Boot in power options, just forgot to mention it. I've edited my post.
I had a look in the BIOS. When I select my boot options, I can set the Windows Boot Manager to 'Disabled'. Is that what you mean?

Including my unallocated partition, I actually have 6 partitions.

Is that a problem? I would like to know,

Thanks

iwestbury

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:05:15 pm

UPDATE:

Tried editing the command lines and replacing 'quiet splash' with nomodeset.

Most options started to boot but got two main errors:

1) ... connecting to plymouth: connection refused

I believe plymouth is the daemon that handles the boot splash :)

2) r8619 can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control

I believe this relates to the Realtek Ethernet Adaptor

mdiemer

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:21:14 pm

This is not really on topic, but I can't help but comment on how hard it is to install Linux on a system with Windows 10. With W7, it is very simple. We must expect a lot of this kind of thing, especially as more people discover how horrid W10 is.

I would encourage anyone who has recently installed windows 10 to roll back to W7 if possible, if you want to continue using windows. Yes it will no longer be supported past 1/1/20, but by then you will be happily using Linux (preferrably Zorin!). and you can still go on Windows for games or Office if you like. Me, I will still need W7 for music creation. but I will do everything else on Linux.

I understand that you may have a good reason for staying with Windows 10 and I totally respect that. But if you can do without it, roll back to W7. You will be glad you did.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:27:28 pm

Hi iwestbury, Yes I did mean disable Windows Boot Manager. I suspect those first 4 partitions are primary and one thing at fault there is the Data partition has been set to Primary - it doesn't need to be primary - I would have made an extended partition and created your data partition in that and made it logical. Then I would have created a 512 Mb /boot partition at the start of the freespace after your Data Partition, then created 50 Gb '/' marked as Primary, then created a swap area at the end of the free space and what is left in-between mark as /home, formatted to Ext 4. ;) :D I don't know what that bizarre 20 Gb partition at the end is - it looks like you have 2 recovery partitions? There should only be one - it would have been nicer if you had used your cursor to drag the column divides wider at the top of the Descriptions in your Disk Management window to give a definitive answer. ;) :D

iwestbury

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:29:00 am

Update:
Thanks for the replies. Disappointingly I decided to try again with Mint and it installed flawlessly so I don't think it was anything wrong with the way I was trying to install. I have decided to continue with Mint for now and when I'm a bit more familiar with the Linux system I might try again in future.

Aravisian

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:02:14 pm

iwestbury wrote:Update:
Thanks for the replies. Disappointingly I decided to try again with Mint and it installed flawlessly so I don't think it was anything wrong with the way I was trying to install. I have decided to continue with Mint for now and when I'm a bit more familiar with the Linux system I might try again in future.

Unless you feel disappointed, I do not perceive disappointment. While many people install Zorin without problems, those that do experience problems provide useful and helpful feedback that the Zorin Team can use.
What would be disappointing would be if you had stayed silent on the issue.
I wish I could help you- I am not knowledgeable enough. But what Works for you just WORKS and that is worth a lot.