This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Thanks Zorin,

Hoffmn

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:48:25 pm

Thanks Zorin, loaded up OS 15 to a Panasonic CF-54 and it loaded easier then Mac OS 10.6.8 used to and Zorin OS 15 is better then the Mac OS!

Lighted keyboard works and even the function keys work!

Took me awhile to figure out that I had to scroll down through the printer drivers before I found one that works, but once I did that, printing is great.

Scribus is a fantastic InDesign and GIMP is good and Darktable is good where I used to use Aperture.

Zorin OS is more simple and clean then the Mac OS, but the Mac OS did have expanding folders though, where you could just hover over a folder and a drop down menu would show the contents... so that was beyond delicious.

I can't believe the powers that be let you guys make something this good... it's kind of like a start up jet organization, all the sudden, making a better jet then the F-22, and just asking for a donation if you like it!

Also, I did the terminal command to opt out of the census... just because.

cakelover

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:38:59 pm

Hey, I read the forbes article, and I thought what the hell, put it on the old macbook pro and put it to use.

I put zorin os on a macbook pro mid 2015 ( fully loaded). My shock was this.

1. Everything worked out of the box. Fedora 30 does not work out of the box. OpenSuse TW, Manjaro, and so on had problems with keyboard, battery, network card. It just worked, and more importantly. It worked correctly, SMOOTH, I only changed the appearance !

2. Speed. It was fast. Then I found out why. They backported Gnome Shell 3.30 with their own tweaks. It works better than the default ubuntu 18.04.3 installs. Kernel is 5.x, they may have helped.

3. Nearly all the apps installed are cleaned up and built with integration in mind. Some are newer, backports.

So, I looked at my beast of a desktop, the one I do all my heavy work on.

I been running OpenSuse TW for a good 3-4 years. I put it on a new drive to test it out. so far its smooth. Nothing particular stands out.

Aravisian

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:59:01 pm

It's great to see such positive commentary. Often on a forum, it's like being a vet- you only get to see the animals that happened to not feel so good.
I had a similar experience where installing a Zorin OS worked far better than all the alternatives I tried.
There are many great distros out there. I believe Zorin OS is among the very top ones.

Hoffmn

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:24:58 pm

Ya... And another happy thing is that there is a nice typeface installation panel...

so it's one click and all those expensive fonts you accumulated over the years... are right there in your new system.

the only thing is, I tried loading Zorin on a 2013 lenovo and I can't get the printing working on it like I did with the CF-54...

Usually when I'm working on computer stuff I'm drunk off my a**... maybe this wkend I'll get a bottle of whiskey and try again with the lenovo... surprisingly, even the work light that used to come on the lenovo's works under Zorin!

All in all, though, Zorin is really good; Steve Jobs was a mix of good and bad for Apple, but with Zorin, really, you're getting a lot of the good without the bad...

Hoffmn

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:39:13 pm

if anyone wants the code to disable: Zorin from checking home...

i won't tell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2lqmLepr18

don't f$%& w/ ZORIN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQwomIhA9Hs

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:00:25 pm

Hoffmn wrote:Ya... And another happy thing is that there is a nice typeface installation panel...

so it's one click and all those expensive fonts you accumulated over the years... are right there in your new system.

the only thing is, I tried loading Zorin on a 2013 lenovo and I can't get the printing working on it like I did with the CF-54...

Usually when I'm working on computer stuff I'm drunk off my a**... maybe this wkend I'll get a bottle of whiskey and try again with the lenovo... surprisingly, even the work light that used to come on the lenovo's works under Zorin!

All in all, though, Zorin is really good; Steve Jobs was a mix of good and bad for Apple, but with Zorin, really, you're getting a lot of the good without the bad...

See if this fixes your printing issue if HP:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-S ... 03#M151019

Hoffmn

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:08:16 pm

Much appreciation for Swarfendor437 for the sourceforge link, and the link to the terminal commands:

I'm giving the _https://h30434.www3.hp.com/_ instructions a quick run through to see if I can get easy results, but I'm into the instructions for about 40 mins. already and I can tell that I'm in over my head...

My intentions for my t-420 are:

to install "Kryonat" CPU Thermal Grease,

clean out the fan,

put in a "New 1080p 1920X1080 IPS FHD Upgrade Kit for thinkpad T430 T420 LCD controller," that I ordered from: SHENZHEN, but haven't received yet,

and put in a a "ns14 14.0" WLED Backlight 1920x1080 FHD 30 Pin eDP B140HAN01.3 00HT622 T450s," that I got from a stripper joint in BRIDGEPORT, MI 48722 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

It is possible to get printing going with just mouse clicks and if I don't fry my lenovo t420 with all my upgrades, my intention is to put the time in trying to exactly figure out how to do it...

In honesty, I can count on one hand the number of times I have used the command line. I did get printing 100% on my cf-54 and I thought I remembered how I did it, but I guess I was just to drunk at the time and my recollection was incomplete.

Hoffmn

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:10:02 pm

The Mac OS is dead, and windows always was a corpse... Long live Zorin!

have installed::: "1080p 1920X1080 IPS FHD Upgrade Kit for thinkpad T430 T420 LCD controller" and, "ns14 14.0" WLED Backlight 1920x1080 FHD 30 Pin eDP B140HAN01.3 00HT622 T450s,,," they are both working...

surprisingly, Zorin, which was loaded under a different resolution WLED booted and showed at the correct resolution upon booting, with the FHD Upgrade Kit...

from there I erased my T420s hard disk and reinstalled Zorin without an internet connection just to see if I could: And it worked without a hitch; got a working installation of Zorin just off a usb stick, and with no internet connection!

PRINTING: I got printing working on my panasonic cf-54 and on my lenovo t420: I don't exactly know how but I was looking through the print settings and found that there were four drivers for my printer, but the recommended driver printed nothing, but the third driver down would print an error message: "ERROR: undefined OFFENDING COMMAND..."

From there, in the printer control panels there was an option to search a data base for drivers (or something,) and I clicked on that and the computer did its thing... and voila! Printing works!

So I wish I could give a better description about printing, but I don't really have a good understanding myself...

Hoffmn

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:17:19 pm

Aravisian

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:54:23 pm

Hoffmn wrote:picture

That looks like the T-100's rig.

Hoffmn

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:03:53 pm

I had a horrible drunken wkend with all my upgrades: that bottle whiskey is mostly gone!!!

These old school Thinkpads are awesome machines and they can be had for between $100 - $200 on ebay...

once you have one in front of you... it really is something you can spend the rest of your life with... and the upgrade factor: makes it all that more delicious... (i am a panasonic cf-54 man myself though.)