This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New member and question

pete578

Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:48:06 am

Hi, new here, searched for "alternative to OS" and came up with zorin
Interesting about the WINE feature, curious to try.
Thanks

Question

Can I buy a install disk rather than download etc ?

Aravisian

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:04:36 am

pete578 wrote:Hi, new here, searched for "alternative to OS" and came up with zorin
Interesting about the WINE feature, curious to try.
Thanks

Question

Can I buy a install disk rather than download etc ?

I recently learned that "OS Disk" of Denver Colorado sells disks with Shipping. I don't know how well that will translate to shipping to Australia...
But installing from USB or burning your own disk gets really easy after you have done it a couple of times.

If you install Zorin 12.4, Please Be Sure to Immediately update Wine to Wine4. That's pretty necessary before you can use it.
Zorin15 does not come with Wine pre-installed. But you can install it easily with a few terminal commands.
Wine is, over-all, quite good. But nothing is ever perect. Please read over the Wine HQ webpage and forums for compatibility and performance questions.
I, personally, have never had anything not work on Wine. But I have heard of others having trouble.
A great deal of the time, however, a person finds they do not NEED the Windows program in order to accomplish their goals. Many Linux programs work just as well. Some work better. Sometimes, people DO need a Windows only program and I am just fortunate enough that I never have. But more often, using a Linux based alternative to the Windows program works just as well.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:02:18 pm

Rather than WINE, if you have enought RAM and a big enough hard drive, I prefer to run Windows 7 in Virtrual Box - you can then run your Windows Apps just fine. I make a backup of my VB vhd of Windows from time-to-time so if anything goes west I can just drag the backed up VB to the fresh install of Zorin and Virtual Box. ;) :D
The only downside is that graphics can be limited to 128 Mb of RAM so don't expect to run graphically intensive games on a VB of Windows! :lol:

pete578

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18:02 pm

Thanks for the replies.
mainly 2 online games I play, one is web page based, -www.replaypoker- ( no, it is not a real money poker, ,more of a community)
and a download game, backgammonmasters, which is a board game but you have to download the exe and install.

Hope these 2 games work.

My web browser is OPERA, just my choice.

Aravisian

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:59:35 am

pete578 wrote:Thanks for the replies.
mainly 2 online games I play, one is web page based, -www.replaypoker- ( no, it is not a real money poker, ,more of a community)
and a download game, backgammonmasters, which is a board game but you have to download the exe and install.

Hope these 2 games work.

My web browser is OPERA, just my choice.

Those are not W.O.W or Skyrim... I bet backgammonmasters.exe would run just fine on Wine4, no problem.

I found this while running a search:
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32160
The thread implies that there shouldn't be much difficulty in installing and running and if there is, ensuring everything is installed and updated would be all that is needed to get it running.

pete578

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:32:54 pm

Thanks, looking forward to installing zorin