This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Installation not Booting

mog

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:03:13 pm

I've just installed Zorin 15 on my External HDD, the drive is an old IDE one from an old laptop which formerly had Linux Mint on it, I removed the old Linux and formatted the drive.
Next Step I created a USB with the Installation File on it, I ran a check on it on boot up but it came back as one file corrupted so I ditched it.
Next Step I created a DVD with the Installation Media on it and ran the same check and it was declared ok.
Next Step I installed Zorin 15 on the External HDD via the "Something Else" selection, I got the message that it had installed correctly and to reboot, I selected reboot and got the message "Remove Installation Media" which I did.
Next Step The PC rebooted ok and the Zorin Menu came up, which I know is time limited so I did nothing, the Menu disappeared that was it. Blank Screen for ever!
Next Step Switched off the PC using the On/Off switch, waited a few minutes and then switched on again, this time when the Zorin Menu came up I selected "Zorin" and pressed Enter, the Menu disappeared and a whole bunch of print appeared, don't ask me to remember it, at my age it's hard to remember my name! Either way it didn't boot.
Any Help gratefully received.

mog

Aravisian

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:28:50 pm

Mog, could you please try the suggestions found here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1085807 ... untu-18-04

mog

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:30:59 pm

Hi Aravisian,
I tried a load of things, that included, in the end I gave up. In the article you suggested was a reference to nomodeset, and that it is included in the Safe Graphics option for install, if so why not in all installs, with the recommendation to install graphic drivers post initial run up? This is after all an update to the 12.9 one I had before, that I also gave up on, because it was so hit and miss if it would boot after Grub screen appearance!
Either way, thanks for responding but I've wiped the External HDD now and decided that until a proper package install is available I should spend my time on more worthwhile pursuits.

Beers

mog

Aravisian

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22:18 am

mog wrote:Hi Aravisian,
I tried a load of things, that included, in the end I gave up. In the article you suggested was a reference to nomodeset, and that it is included in the Safe Graphics option for install, if so why not in all installs, with the recommendation to install graphic drivers post initial run up?

Performance and hardware.
If 90% of the computers out there will work fine with a setting that allows better performance, but the safer setting is needed for the other ten percent of remaining computers that would not work with the higher performance and ALL the computers would work with the safe performance setting; the distributors would set for the higher performance to make their computers look better.
Microsoft dominates the O.S. market and most hardware is designed with MS OS in mind, not Linux.
mog wrote:This is after all an update to the 12.9 one I had before, that I also gave up on, because it was so hit and miss if it would boot after Grub screen appearance!

Your experiences are different from mine but they are just as valid.
Zorin OS is the distro I have had the easiest time installing and the best performance out of post install.This seems odd because on the surface, Zorin is based on Ubuntu. Yet, the Zorin team focused on backdoors and tweaked things a bit, I think.
But again, a lot of this may depend on the hardware I am installing on. I may gravitate toward a certain set of hardware based on my needs whereas you may gravitate toward an entirely different set of hardware based on yours.
mog wrote:Either way, thanks for responding but I've wiped the External HDD now and decided that until a proper package install is available I should spend my time on more worthwhile pursuits.
Beers
mog

You might have a look here:
https://distrotest.net/

You can explore many different Distro samples without using USB, LiveCD or installation. In your own free time, test, examine, and see what suits you the best (as well as you can in that setting) until you pick a handful you think are Goldilocks Zone.
Then try installing your top picks.
If you keep having install troubles though, you and your computer hardware may have to have a stern chat.

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:04:31 pm

This is a good read:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1171085 ... ternal-hdd

You'll need to expand to view the '2 more comments' near the bottom.