This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install on Win10

Kryspen

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:36:07 pm

I want to install Zorin 15 on an HP laptop that has been running Win10. I have 4 gig of memory and 1 terabyte of disc. I've created a partition for Zorin by halving the Windoze C drive but when I come to boot into Zorin from my USB stick (created using Rufus) I get a little message on the screen saying "something has gone wrong".

It's not the USB stick - I installed Zorin on another machine from it. I seem to remember that there's a fast boot option under Win10 that I have to disable, but I can't remember how to do that. Would someone kindly remind me, and any other changes I would need to make to enable this, please?

Initially I'm planning to dual boot the machine. If Dragon Naturally Speaking works under Wine then I shall give Win10 the heave-ho.

Do I need a different boot manager, like Plop, or can I do these changes direct.

Thanks in advance,

David

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:56:23 pm

Hi, the first thing you need to do is bot into BIOS and turn off fast boot there and remember to enable legacy mode to boot from USB. This is one situation where I would create a 512 Mb /boot partition to place GRUB there. Do make sure that your HP notebook does not have 4 primary partitions as this will also give 'something went wrong' message. After installing Zorin, turn back on EFI in BIOS to boot into Windows 10 and install EASYBCD from NeoSmart Technology. This will backup your Windows 10 Bootloader on first run and then you can add entry to boot into Zorin.