This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation Problems (Windows 7 Systems)

orienteer

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:32:49 pm

Hello,

I have tried installing Zorin OS 15 Core on three different systems (2 Dell, 1 Lenovo), with different problems on each.

Looking for a pointer to more detailed instructions that might help me get past some of these problems.

Problem 1: Zorin installation program thinks that no OS is currently installed on the system. Is offering to overwrite the entire disk.

Problem 2: I select the option to install Zorin OS alongside Windows 7. I am asked if I want to write the changes to disk. Then see the message: "The ext4 file system creation in partition #5 of SCSI5 (0,0,0) (sdb) failed.

Problem 3:

Was shown a slightly different path vs. the one from Problem 2, after selecting the option to install Zorin OS alongside Windows 7. Was asked to select a drive (default was SCSI3 with 6.1GB). Was asked to allocate space by sliding a divider between Win-7 at 8.3 GB and Zorin OS at 7.4 GB. I made no change and clicked on Install Now. Was asked to write changes to disk. I said yes. Saw a message about files being copied, then: Installation Failed. Error copying files to the hard disk. Error 28 = No space left on device. I am told to rerun the installer and select a larger partition to install into.

I am guessing that I may need to manually reallocate space on my HDD before installing, but am looking for advice on how to do this, and how much space to place in each partition.

Stephen S

P.S. I may at some point do an overwrite installation on an HDD, but was hoping to enable Dual Boot for my initial installations. (Setting up a couple of systems in a K-8 school computer lab to allow the teacher to try out Zorin OS, but easily revert to Windows if needed.)

Aravisian

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29:08 am

orienteer wrote:Hello,

I have tried installing Zorin OS 15 Core on three different systems (2 Dell, 1 Lenovo), with different problems on each.

Looking for a pointer to more detailed instructions that might help me get past some of these problems.

Problem 1: Zorin installation program thinks that no OS is currently installed on the system. Is offering to overwrite the entire disk.

It is not that Zorin OS thinks there is no O.S., rather it just that overwriting entire disk is An Option.
If you would like to install alongside another O.S., you must choose the "Something Else" option.

orienteer wrote:Problem 2: I select the option to install Zorin OS alongside Windows 7. I am asked if I want to write the changes to disk. Then see the message: "The ext4 file system creation in partition #5 of SCSI5 (0,0,0) (sdb) failed.

You are not alone in feeling baffled.
Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 are set up to resist Linux being installed alongside of it, in my opinion. With Windows XP, installing Linux alongisde was relatively easy. With 7 up to 10, Microsoft kept upping the ante on how many hoops to make you jump through.
I recommend you start here:https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14361
You must first get Windows to release your partitions.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14891
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14632
orienteer wrote:Problem 3:
Was shown a slightly different path vs. the one from Problem 2, after selecting the option to install Zorin OS alongside Windows 7. Was asked to select a drive (default was SCSI3 with 6.1GB). Was asked to allocate space by sliding a divider between Win-7 at 8.3 GB and Zorin OS at 7.4 GB. I made no change and clicked on Install Now. Was asked to write changes to disk. I said yes. Saw a message about files being copied, then: Installation Failed. Error copying files to the hard disk. Error 28 = No space left on device. I am told to rerun the installer and select a larger partition to install into.
This is because Windows locks down the partitions. FOr this, you must see the references above.
The Good news is- Yes, it can be done.

Just a few hoops is all... Please start with Swarfendors excellent Unofficial Manual and guide and be prepared... You will need to come back and ask for more assistance because Windows gets VERY Stubborn now about installing linux alongside of it as a dual boot. There is a lot to know and because this is caused more by MS than Linux, any distro you work with will have many of these issues.

orienteer

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:03:54 pm

Hello Aravisian,

Thank you very much for the links. I have skimmed the info and it looks like there is lots of great info for me.

I have installed and run a few versions of Linux in the past, but not recently. It may well have been dual boot with XP at the time. I am not afraid to "manually" change the partitions on the HDD. Just need the details on sizes etc. It looks like "Unofficial Manual" (Precautions to be mindful of when installing!) has exactly the partition recommendations I need.

Looking forward to trying again following the instructions in the "Unofficial Manual".

Stephen

Aravisian

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:12:42 pm

orienteer wrote: P.S. I may at some point do an overwrite installation on an HDD, but was hoping to enable Dual Boot for my initial installations. (Setting up a couple of systems in a K-8 school computer lab to allow the teacher to try out Zorin OS, but easily revert to Windows if needed.)

It is harder when for someone else, usually.

I switched to Linux when my hard drive went out taking my only copy of MS Windows with it. I was unwilling to pay Microsoft money so that they could use my computer as a server for them for free. And this also happened at a time when money was tight.

Someone had given me a Zorin OS disc to try out and as soon as I dug it out of dustbunny haven in the attic, I installed it. At the time, if I COULD have done a dual Boot with Windows, I have no doubt I would have done so.
I was very worried about my "exclusive to Windows" programs. But my hand was forced, I had no choice but to go full Zorin (Which at the time, Wine was pretty broken on) else go full Windows.
These circumstances are different from most and they are what enabled me to see more clearly how bad Windows is and how little I needed it.

These days, Wine4 works quite well for most things and I only use Wine currently for ONE program, though I may up that to two.
Other than that, it's Linux all the way even with a few programs I was convinced I had to have Windows for but found a couple patches made them operate on Linux without Wine just fine.

I am confident you can get things up and running. I am also confident you can find helpful pointers here (Swarfendor is the wiseguy with Dual Boot) but I wanted this story to be in your head.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09:40 pm

Hi, Couple of things to bear in mind:

1. Are the systems loaded with an EFI enabled BIOS? In which case an bootable ESP partition of 35 Mb is needed (GPT boot loader).

2. If the systems have:

a. Recovery Partition
b. System Partition
c. Driver partition (sometimes also confusingly labelled 'System')
d. Recovery media creation partition

Usually, all of these partitions are marked as Primary and if an mbr bootloader is limited to 4 primary partitions. ;) :D