This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

newbie question

Crazycantelope

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:02:06 am

Hi all... I have installed zorin and all was sucessfull but when it boots it only shows black screen and the monitor says out of range... why does the resolution change from what it was to some crappy c*** that will not show on any of the 5 monitors and 1 tv I have tried??? Zorin 12 educational..

Aravisian

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26:16 pm

Crazycantelope wrote:Hi all... I have installed zorin and all was sucessfull but when it boots it only shows black screen and the monitor says out of range... why does the resolution change from what it was to some crappy c*** that will not show on any of the 5 monitors and 1 tv I have tried??? Zorin 12 educational..

Crazycantelope, can you please give the specs for your graphics card and monitor? Usually, this error happens when the graphics card is giving input that the monitor is unable to support.
Zorin 12 is quite good even on older machines especially the 12 LITE version. Zorin 12 does use x11 which can give a frequency refresh rate larger than what the monitor allows.

Without knowing more yet, on your computer specs your options to fix can include using nomodeset, adjusting your display settings in GRUB and then booting normally or setting up a new graphics driver. Let's start with looking at editing GRUB and using nomodeset, first. Please read this guide here:
https://itsfoss.com/fix-ubuntu-freezing/
You will find how to access and edit grub, then how to nomodeset. That walkthrough is for Ubuntu 18.04, but will work for Zorin 12.