This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Weird Graphics On New Install Of Zorin15C

mdiemer

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:17:18 am

I just got a new SSD (Scandisk), and installed Zorin 15 Core. Everything is fine except that on booting up, there is a dark screen with a border around it. After a bit, the bottom 2/3 of the border disappears. Then several dots appear, scattered around the middle of the screen. Then it boots into the GUI and all is normal. I really want to use the SSD as the boot drive, because it is faster, and Zorin boots pretty slowly on my system. However, if I can't see the Grub menu, well you see the problem.

I assume installing Nvidia drivers would help, but I have tried installing that way, and the installation hangs. So can I install Nvidia drivers after the fact?

mdiemer

Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:07:51 pm

OK, I do have Grub, so can boot any OS. I still have the weird graphics, however. But Z15C boots fast and works fine. Definitely faster on SSD, but this computer is 10 years old, so that is a big improvement. Still wonder though if NVIDIA driver would solve it. If not I suppose I can live with the situation, it really only is an aesthetic thing, does not affect performance.

Aravisian

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:32:46 pm

mdiemer wrote:OK, I do have Grub, so can boot any OS. I still have the weird graphics, however. But Z15C boots fast and works fine. Definitely faster on SSD, but this computer is 10 years old, so that is a big improvement. Still wonder though if NVIDIA driver would solve it. If not I suppose I can live with the situation, it really only is an aesthetic thing, does not affect performance.

I have gotten weird graphics on boot OR on a logout and login. It never affected anything and I assumed it just was what it is- I mean, I have seen weird graphics during a boot all my life. Well... All my life that I have been destroying computers with corrupt commands, anyway.
It's the part that you said you could not access grub that threw me for a loop... But it doesn't take much to throw me for a loop.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:53:21 pm

I had that issue on Zorin 12 I think or having slept awhile, might have been on the Zorin 15 Core private beta. I try and avoid Nvidia drivers wherever possible as my rig is perfectly happy with the Nouveau - most people who 'need' the drivers are mainly gamers IMHO (I now tend to leave gaming to the PS4 but recently I discovered Galaxy Of Gaming and could not resist in downloading Homeworld rebooted (which happened in 2015 and I missed it! Which I run on my Windows 7 64-bit install.)

mdiemer

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:32:10 am

Another post mentioned something about their SSD drive being "too fast." I wonder if that's what is going on here as well. I did just install on a brand new SSD, so it may be that it tries to boot faster than the boot process can handle, so the result is skewed graphics. It still boots fast, no problem there. I miss the ZORIN splash screen, however, it's really cool how it enters stage left, letter-by-letter. Similarly, it exits stage right on the way out. That was a nice touch. It goes away with the NVIDIA drivers. Which is a good reason to avoid them, which I will do. I'll just have to use my imagination, I guess, during boot-up.

Aravisian

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:01:42 am

mdiemer wrote:I'll just have to use my imagination, I guess, during boot-up.

I read this in Bane voice.

mdiemer

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:23:48 pm

Aravisian wrote:

No idea what that means. Probably too old.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:03:13 am

mdiemer wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

No idea what that means. Probably too old.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Bane+voice&t=ffab&ia=videos

On a side note did you follow guidance on SSD as here?:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/ssd.html

and here:

http://www.ocsmag.com/2016/04/30/using- ... -on-linux/

mdiemer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56:13 am

Thanks for that very interesting info, Swarf. I probably should have done those things, as it is I will try to do some of it. On the other hand, I only paid 35$ for the drive, so I could just take my chances. However, I will definitely look into making sure Windows does not do any defragging, and optimize my browsers. (Actually, I only have Zorin on my small 248 GB drive. But I made my wife's 500 GB drive a dual boot, so I'll need to disable defragging on it. This seems to me the biggest concern; Windows does eat hard drives, and this is one of the reasons).

mdiemer

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:03:30 pm

I'm having some issues, no doubt caused by returning to the onboard video, after my graphics card died. Zorin Lite 15 was working fine until recently, when the display went haywire and it refused to boot after that. My other systems have not fared well either, except for Windows 7, which I assume was able to find the Nvidia drivers it needed. But Linux Lite and LXLE both developed the same display issues that seems to have doomed Zorin Lite.

So I am now in the process of installing those systems (or some of them) but as 32 bit systems. I just got Zorin Lite 15-32 up and running. I got LXLE 18-32 last night, on an old HDD, just to see how that went. I may put it on the other HDD available, and may also try another as well, possibly Ubuntu Mate, or maybe something else, in a dual boot.

My hope is that 32 bit systems will be less demanding, and solve the display problem. I'll let you know, but any thoughts folks might have on this strategy would be welcome.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:49:39 pm

I installed AntiX 19 on D830 - it's configurability from the get-go is phenomenal and reminded me of the 'drill-down' vga driver approach Wolvix used to have that enabled me to install to an ancient Toshiba Satellite Pro! I reported elsewhere on here that Zorin Lite took ages to load - I suspect if it had the same diversity of Boot options that Antix has it would be a lot better. The only issue I have with Antix 19 is the same as I had with Antix 17 on the D600 and that is an issue with the rox DE which repors "no pinboard present and to use the command 'rox -p' to prevent it popping up in future. What makes me smile is that manjaro has a lot of mention on various vlogs about the terminal hiding at the top of the screen as a drop-down menu - this was present in KDE on a now defunct distro I have been playing with, Epidemic - in KDE it was 'Yakuake'. You can still get version 4 64-bit from Softpedia.

https://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/ ... tml#sgal_0

https://linux-cdn.softpedia.com/screens ... inux_1.jpg

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:50:09 am

Currently installing MX-19 on a D600 with 512 Mb RAM and a discarded 30 Gb Drive off a C810. CPU is maxing out at 100% during install and HDD 68% and Memory 55%. One of the great things in the MX-installer options is the ability to save your changed configurations you make in live mode before installing! Yay!