This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] WiFi RTL8723DE under Kernel 5.0.0-36 not working

sickice

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:03:50 pm

Hello gentleman,
I got today a new Notbook with a Realtek RTL8723DE.

I have installed already the drivers with

git clone https://github.com/smlinux/rtl8723de.git -b 5.0-up
dkms add ./rtl8723de
dkms install rtl8723de/5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111-1414
depmod -a
reboot

and also tryed

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
cd rtlwifi_new/ && git checkout origin/extended -b extended
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential git
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -r rtl8723de
sudo modprobe rtl8723de
reboot

also no luck.
Is this the problem of the 5.0.0-36 Kernel because the most users who say it is working use alsodey 5.1.x

I hope I'm not the only one with this problem.

:-)

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:44:07 pm

Will the solution outlined here:
https://ibcomputing.com/install-rtl8723 ... ntu-18-04/

help you at all?

sickice

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:35:46 pm

Thanks a lot the problem was the SECURE BOOT

deactivate it in the CLI not helps, you need do like shown here.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot/DKMS

then need to do

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
cd rtlwifi_new
git checkout extended
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -r rtl8723de
sudo modprobe rtl8723de

I hope it helps the next who is looking for this problem.

Aravisian

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:10:00 am

sickice wrote:I hope it helps the next who is looking for this problem.

Thanks for helping and keeping us posted. Could you mark thread as "Solved' please?

sickice

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35:55 pm

Aravisian wrote:
sickice wrote:I hope it helps the next who is looking for this problem.

Thanks for helping and keeping us posted. Could you mark thread as "Solved' please?

I think I did already. Or is there a spezial button for it ?

JeffK969

Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:42:05 pm

Hi,
I have the same issue, trying to fix. I downloaded the zip (it's in my download file). What exactly does it mean to cd?
cd rtlwifi_new - I get: bash: cd: rtlwifi_new: No such file or directory

There's something missing, I just don't know what. Tried cd downloads. No go. Also, I have Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411.

jeff@jeff-zult:~$ cd Downloads rtlwifi_new-master
bash: cd: too many arguments

Aravisian

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:37:57 am

JeffK969 wrote:What exactly does it mean to cd?

CD is to Change Directory. A Directory is a folder, essentially.

When you download from that link, it downloads in a .zip file. Unzip it or extract it using archive manager into your Downloads Folder.
You will notice that the extracted directory name is not the same name as the one given in the instructions. It includes "Master" for master file.
Well, thars yer problem!
Open a terminal and enter
Code:
/home/whatever.jeff969.named.himself.on.his.computer/Downloads/rtlwifi_new-master

That will teleport your terminal into that directory and you can proceed from there.

JeffK969

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:51:35 pm

As always, Thanks Aravi. Was missing a / or two... I found an alternative fix, tried that. Will see how it goes Sunday night most likely. Just is sad, wifi is weak and drops. Zorin Lite didn't have that issue, not did a few of the mints I've used.

Aravisian

Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:48:01 pm

JeffK969 wrote:As always, Thanks Aravi. Was missing a / or two... I found an alternative fix, tried that. Will see how it goes Sunday night most likely. Just is sad, wifi is weak and drops. Zorin Lite didn't have that issue, not did a few of the mints I've used.

It's not just Zorin.

The more I look, the More I see Ubuntu 18.04 chock full o' bugs. I wonder if Canonical is regretting ditching Unity and crawling back to Gnome.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:55:35 pm

Aravisian wrote:
JeffK969 wrote:As always, Thanks Aravi. Was missing a / or two... I found an alternative fix, tried that. Will see how it goes Sunday night most likely. Just is sad, wifi is weak and drops. Zorin Lite didn't have that issue, not did a few of the mints I've used.

It's not just Zorin.

The more I look, the More I see Ubuntu 18.04 chock full o' bugs. I wonder if Canonical is regretting ditching Unity and crawling back to Gnome.

I think in part it was the 'spyware' of Amazon that hurt the Unity desktop and some users just didn't like the vertical panel on the left which was part and parcel of Unity.

It's a bit like "I can't use Linux (Gnome 2 style) because it's panel is at the top and not where I am used to in that other OS!"

Usually things can be moved around - if they can't, ditch the OS for one that does or a DE that does. 8-)

Aravisian

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:55:42 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

It's not just Zorin.

I think in part it was the 'spyware' of Amazon that hurt the Unity desktop and some users just didn't like the vertical panel on the left which was part and parcel of Unity.

It's a bit like "I can't use Linux (Gnome 2 style) because it's panel is at the top and not where I am used to in that other OS!"

Usually things can be moved around - if they can't, ditch the OS for one that does or a DE that does. 8-)

I never used Unity- it was before my time -on Linux, that is.
I do know that the Amazon Apps were questionable and what was that app - something called "Looking Glass?"
I would not have liked the vertical panel, either. Top or bottom panel is more out of the way than a vertical one is.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:23:09 pm

There was a time at work when I ran XP with the panel on the right. :lol: