This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help to set up webserver on Zorin 15

ozstar

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:58:40 pm

Hi,

I have just setup Zorin 15 and quite new to Linux.

I would like to set up a webserver to serve a couple of small sites to the net.

I have plenty of disk space and a static IP. I create and host sites on a shared server so know phpMyAdmin, MySQL etc., just need help setting it all up on Zorin. Want to move some of my smaller sites to our own server here. OpenCart, Wordpress, Joomla etc.

I am looking at XLAMP or a similar pack which will virtually auto install all 3 major elements Apache, MySQL or alt and phpMyAdmin.

Has anyone here done that with Zorin?

All suggestion and help gratefully received.

oz

ozstar

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:37:57 am

I have been reading on teh net and seems like I have found Xampp but bneededn the installer pak. Got thos down and through the terminal trried to run it. This is my error.. Where to now ?

david@david-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-MT-PC:~/Downloads$ sudo chmod +x xampp-linux-x64-7.3.10-1-installer.run
chmod: cannot access 'xampp-linux-x64-7.3.10-1-installer.run': No such file or directory
david@david-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-MT-PC:~/Downloads$

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:24:23 pm

Follow this guide to the letter - use 755 not your user name. ;) :D

https://vitux.com/how-to-install-xampp- ... ts-system/

ozstar

Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:29:39 pm

Many thanks. Excellent instructions.

Did it exactly to the end and it worked except when chwecking found that phpMyadmin didn't.

This is the error via localhost browser.

So not sure what happened.

Welcome to phpMyAdmin

Error

MySQL said: Documentation
Cannot connect: invalid settings.
mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory
Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.
mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory
phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

ozstar

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:08:36 pm

OKAY GOT IT!

Needed to Start mySQL, so now have phpMyadmin okay.

Now to the next steps... :-)

schwenky

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:06:48 pm

Xampp is installed succesfully and running fine. But i can start it only on command line without application icon.
How can i add this to Zorin Dash favorites with icon as executable?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35:18 pm

You create a launcher - will have to reboot into Zorin as currently in FerenOS. :D

OK, enter 'Main Menu' in the search bar of the menu, then go to the Application Group you want to create a new launcher for, then select 'New Item' then if you know the directory tree of the command is enter it in there. For the user to launch the app I think you need something like U% in the command somewhere. You can click on the icon and change it to something more suitable:

Create Launcher.jpg

schwenky

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:04:26 pm

Thanks. That worked. It creates a new blank item while xampp is running without icon. But now i can start xampp with icon from the dash.

Whats different in FerenOS why you use it? Is it worth to try or no benefits compared to zorin? It looks really similar on the screenshots on their website.

Edit: I'll watched a comparison video. For me zorin looks much better.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:28:51 pm

Well I had some issues screen recording recently - when I played my screen recording back in Zorin, using the same software I use in Feren OS, all that could be seen was my cursor! ;) :D