This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Buffer I/O error

Kenneth16

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:15:55 pm

I was trying this out on USB. I mostly got it to work however after the "try it" text screen I get a near endless string of "Buffer I/O Error...". After a few hundred lines I get the GUI "try it" screen and then a few dozen more of the same. After that it seems to work OK. If I do a clean install on a wiped hard drive will that go away????

Aravisian

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:39:05 am

Kenneth16 wrote:I was trying this out on USB. I mostly got it to work however after the "try it" text screen I get a near endless string of "Buffer I/O Error...". After a few hundred lines I get the GUI "try it" screen and then a few dozen more of the same. After that it seems to work OK. If I do a clean install on a wiped hard drive will that go away????

Are you running Windows on that machine?
Is it an SSD or HDD?
Are you currently running another distro, like Ubuntu on it?
If you are running Windows, etc. In Live CD using "try it" I recommend you try in terminal
Code:
fsck -A

This is to check if there are any disk errors that could imply drive failure may be in your near future. If so, your timing of using a trial of Zorin may have just given you an early warning.
Before I create a panic, most likely you are fine and so is the disk. But better to be sure, than not.
If you are running Ubuntu or similar, try
Code:
fsck -a -y /dev/sda1

This includes repair. (Change sda1 if needed to apply to the disk in question)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:18:58 pm

Does the machine have a floppy drive?:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-end ... 0-sector0/

Kenneth16

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:23:33 pm

No floppy.

I ran check disk and fixed a number of errors but that made no difference.

Forgive my denseness but I likely left out something critical to the question. it runs a line print_req_error: I/O error, dev sr0....

and then runs the line;

Buffer I/O error on dev sr0....

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:00:59 pm

Kenneth16 wrote:No floppy.

I ran check disk and fixed a number of errors but that made no difference.

Forgive my denseness but I likely left out something critical to the question. it runs a line print_req_error: I/O error, dev sr0....

and then runs the line;

Buffer I/O error on dev sr0....

sr0 refers to DVD/CD rom drive but in this respect it could be you have a corrupt downloaded image of Zorin or a fautly thumb drive/memory stick. Sticks will show up as sd'x' where x is the chain letter from the first drive in the chain on the system. sda is usually the primary drive, sdb the next drive and so on. As I have four drives in my machine, my thumb drive shows up as sde in USB 2 port and sdg in USB 3 port. ;) :D

Did you check the .iso's SHA/md5 key after downloading it?

Kenneth16

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:05:47 pm

If I undrstand right this is a conflict with a Windows driver/configuration or, a less possibly a corrupt copy of Zorin. Since I intend to use the Ultimate instead of the Core and reformat the HD this should go away.

zabadabadoo

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:24:22 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Did you check the .iso's SHA/md5 key after downloading it?

@Kenneth16.
It is considered wise to verify the checksum of the file you downloaded from Zorin or mirror site before you attempt to install it.
See more here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15174

[Edit] I use Quickhash checksum checking program for that purpose which is multi-platform and can be downloaded here:
https://quickhash-gui.org/

Aravisian

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:21:58 am

Also as a point of interest: Corruptions of the O.S. most frequently occur during the Installation. It's most rare to happen during the download and moderately rare to happen during writing as a bootable device.
It happens with more regularity when "Install updates with installation" is enabled.
Better to leave that disabled when you install, then after checking everything out when installation is complete, connect to the net and get the updates then.