This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrade to Ultimate.

ozstar

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:08:56 am

Hi,

Where and how do I upgrade to Ultimate.

As can as I can see there is not much I can gain from what I have, altho' I may be very wrong.

I would just like to pay and support them.

I just see a download to install.

Do I have to uninstall and start again or can I just enter a reg# and it will apply.

Thanks

oz

Aravisian

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:33:25 am

ozstar wrote:Hi,

Where and how do I upgrade to Ultimate.

As can as I can see there is not much I can gain from what I have, altho' I may be very wrong.

I would just like to pay and support them.

I just see a download to install.

Do I have to uninstall and start again or can I just enter a reg# and it will apply.

Thanks

oz

Ultimate Zorin currently must be installed. So, you would need a backup and a reinstall. This is because it includes bundles of other software.
I am not really sure the exact specs on what Ultimate comes with.
However... I can say that the Base Desktop and Gnome is exactly the same as Core.
What makes Ultimate worthwhile is the adept assemblage of all the additional components. For example, installing the Business Suite. You can well imagine trying to put it all together and installing all the pieces, running into dependencies, making them all mesh and work well together...
Some buy Ultimate to support Zorin and never bother to install it.

ozstar

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:32:18 am

Thanks for the description.

What is the best (easiest) way to back up so that I do t lose anything zi have struggled to set up ?

Once the Ult I'd installed are all the things I have done automatically set up ?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:13:53 am

No, printers for one, email for another, then there is the ssh networking etc etc. My advice is that you backup the whole system by booting of redobackup (either CD/usb) to external drive. Then I would also backup your /home directory, remembering to press Ctrl+ H to see hidden files if not shown and Ctrl+ A all contents and dump in a folder on external drive for the purpose - at least that way your configuration files for apps you may have installed separately remain intact but will need reinstalling and the hidden files created replaced with your backed up /home folder.

Remember my tutorial on reinstalling - it might work for the upgrade:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14472

Aravisian

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22:10 am

ozstar wrote:What is the best (easiest) way to back up so that I do t lose anything i have struggled to set up ?

Now, you are scarin' me.

ozstar

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:08:33 am

Jeez. I've scared myself! Just bought and downloaded but may load on another disk first.

So it's not really an update, it's new with options..