This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't install Zorin because keyboard and mouse don't work

Castingman

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:18:56 pm

Have an old homebuilt computer running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit.
CPU - AMD FX-8350
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3
Graphics Card - MSI AMD Radeon R7 240
SSD - WD Blue 500GB SATA III.

I've tried installing Zorin, both Core and Lite, with the same result. I get the screen with various options to install and check and I can select them with the up-down arrow and Enter keys. Several lines of text flash by, some ending in "... error -32". The desktop appears but the USB keyboard and mouse don't work so I can't get any further.

Have also tried Ubuntu, Lime and Manjaro with the same results.

Don't have a PS2 keyboard or mouse but have tried a USB to PS2 adapter with my keyboard and mouse and still get the same result.

Seems like there is some kind of hardware issue or maybe a setting in BIOS that I'm unfamiliar with. Hope someone can guide me through this, my first foray into the Linux world.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48:51 am

OK, so this is home build with Windows 10 64-bit - you may need to disable 'fast boot' and 'Windows Boot Manager' in order to even try Zorin or any other Linux distro. You will also need to go into the hidden advanced power settings to prevent your hard drive from sleeping - that's how Windows 10 boots quickly by never turning the hard drive off when you shut down. We also need to know how many primary partitions are created with your Win 10 home install. Use Disk Management tool and PLEASE expand the column that starts with the description of healthy - you need to place your mouse in Windows 10 where the columns meet at the top until you get line with two arrows either side to drag the column that begins 'HEALTHY' to the right of each partition. ;) :D

Castingman

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:52:38 am

Fast Boot (Startup) is disabled. Windows Boot Manager is disabled. HD (SSD) sleep is set to Never.
SSD Partitions: System Reserved: 100MB NTFS Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition); C: 463.13GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition); 2.5GB Unallocated.
Keyboard and Mouse still do not work. Text that scrolls by quickly before getting to the Zorin desktop definitely says something about USB and error -32.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:31:13 am

Does the BIOS have Legacy USB option?

Castingman

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:52:14 am

BIOS has nothing labeled "Legacy USB" but here are settings I believe may affect USB function: Port 60/64 Emulation set to "On"; Boot Mode Selection set to "UEFI and Legacy"; Storage Boot Option Control set to "Legacy First"; Other PCI Device ROM Priority set to "Legacy OpROM".

I've tried the other options for these settings and the result is always the same: keyboard and mouse don't work.

Watching the text lines that flash by I see many lines (10 or 15?) that say "...usb device descriptor read 64/ error -32". This is, as near as I can tell, the same text I see with the other Linux distros I've tried. Any idea what this means?

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:10:37 pm

Thinking about it, (had this on an old Dell notebook), it just means it can't enumerate the hardware details based on what the kernel drivers hold (my take on it) but won't prevent USB from working. I had similar issues to you in the past when I was putting Dream Linux on a family members old rig to play with and the only solution was to use USB Keyboard and mouse but once installed it picked up wireless keyboard and mouse. It might mean just picking up a cheap keyboard and mouse or asking a good neighbour if they wouldn't mind lending their keyboard and mouse for half-an-hour or so and invite them over to watch - you might get a convert to Zorin1 ;) :D

Castingman

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:10:39 pm

Hmmm :? I don't understand what "it can't enumerate the hardware details ..." means and why it doesn't affect USB functions.

I've tried 3 sets of keyboards and mice. 2 are USB wired and 1 is USB wireless. I've also connected them to the PS2 port using an adapter. The results are always the same.

I've run the "Check disc for defects" option with the following results: several lines of text flash by including "...usb device descriptor read 64/ error -32" and "...unable to enumerate USB device" among others; then a splash screen with a "throbbing" symbol in the center and text in upper left "Checking casper/..."; and finally "keys: press any key to reboot your system". Of course, the keyboard doesn't work so I must manually turn off the computer.

From the initial option screen, where the keyboard works, I am able to get to a command line (grub?). But I know nothing about Linux commands so I can go no further.

Aravisian

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:30:11 pm

Castingman wrote:Hmmm :? I don't understand what "it can't enumerate the hardware details ..." means and why it doesn't affect USB functions.

I've tried 3 sets of keyboards and mice. 2 are USB wired and 1 is USB wireless. I've also connected them to the PS2 port using an adapter. The results are always the same.

I've run the "Check disc for defects" option with the following results: several lines of text flash by including "...usb device descriptor read 64/ error -32" and "...unable to enumerate USB device" among others; then a splash screen with a "throbbing" symbol in the center and text in upper left "Checking casper/..."; and finally "keys: press any key to reboot your system". Of course, the keyboard doesn't work so I must manually turn off the computer.

From the initial option screen, where the keyboard works, I am able to get to a command line (grub?). But I know nothing about Linux commands so I can go no further.

The HID's are working initially due to it running off the Motherboard operating system. Once it tries to switch over to running off the UI O.S. that you are trying to install, you are then running into the "cannot enumerate the hardware details' problem which is why it cannot see the rest of the system.
In other words, Zorin is unable to see your hard drive. Most often, this is caused by MS Windows locking down the drive.
Fast boot or WinBootMgr will do this. You already pointed out:
Castingman wrote:Fast Boot (Startup) is disabled. Windows Boot Manager is disabled. HD (SSD) sleep is set to Never.

Well, something is wrong. And I'd bet my hat it's Windows still locking down the drive. I guarantee you, if you swapped your HDD or SSD out, you would not have this issue.
Needless to say that is not an option...
I might suggest, as annoying as it may be, that you recheck your previous steps.
On Windows press WindowsKey+X and open a Powershell Command Admin or cmd prompt Admin from the App Menu.
Grant authorization and then type:
Code:
powercfg –h off

Reboot- and maybe try installation disk, again...

Castingman

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:26:22 am

Oops! In the third paragraph of my previous post (starting with "I've run the "Check disc for defects" option with the ...") I was actually trying another distro, not Zorin. However, when I run the same check with Zorin the results are the same except the graphics are different.

I rechecked and both Fast Startup and Windows Boot Manager are disabled.

I actually have 3 SSDs, one with Windows and all my other programs and two with only data files. Removing the Windows SSD and booting from the Zorin USB stick still gives the same result: keyboard and mouse don't work at the Zorin desktop.

I tried your suggestion (assuming the "CODE: SELECT ALL" was to be ignored) entering just "powercfg -h off". Rebooted from USB stick with Zorin (Core 64 bit) and still have no mouse or keyboard function. :cry:

Aravisian

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:40:45 am

Castingman wrote:Oops! In the third paragraph of my previous post (starting with "I've run the "Check disc for defects" option with the ...") I was actually trying another distro, not Zorin. However, when I run the same check with Zorin the results are the same except the graphics are different.

I rechecked and both Fast Startup and Windows Boot Manager are disabled.

I actually have 3 SSDs, one with Windows and all my other programs and two with only data files. Removing the Windows SSD and booting from the Zorin USB stick still gives the same result: keyboard and mouse don't work at the Zorin desktop.

I tried your suggestion (assuming the "CODE: SELECT ALL" was to be ignored) entering just "powercfg -h off". Rebooted from USB stick with Zorin (Core 64 bit) and still have no mouse or keyboard function. :cry:

I may be about to lose my hat. :|

If I understand you, neither swapping out SSD drives (one without Windows installed on it) nor "powercfg -h off" worked?
Have you ever had this happen on any other distro?
When you start to boot Zorin, IMMEDIATELY start holding down left shift key. Boot into Recovery mode.
Once in that window, enable networking, then go back to the main window.
Drop to Root.
Hit enter and then enter in the following:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Code:
sudo ubuntu-drivers devices

Code:
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

Code:
sudo apt-get update --fix-missing

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

Code:
sudo shutdown -r now

This was how I resolved my mouse and keyboard not working almost a year ago. I keep thinking you cannot boot into Zorin at all... But let's see if this helps.

Castingman

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:22:57 am

Removing the Windows SSD changed nothing. I just tried Ubuntu and Linux Lime with the Windows SSD removed and got the same results.

Using "powercfg -h off" didn't change a thing.

Tried booting with the left shift key held down but got the same option screen I always get: options to install, check, and power off. At the bottom of this screen are the letters E and C. Pressing either of these keys gets me to a command line that has only limited commands available, and none of them look like the list of commands in your post.

I tried the left shift key multiple times using different methods: holding down the key and then pushing the power on button; pushing the power on button and immediately holding down the key; and pressing the power on button and continuously tapping the key. All I get is the same option screen.

I took a picture of the text that flies by. It's blurry but maybe it'll give you some clues.

PS: Sorry about the hat.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:48:42 am

Castingman wrote:Removing the Windows SSD changed nothing. I just tried Ubuntu and Linux Lime with the Windows SSD removed and got the same results.

Well... At least we know it isn't just Zorin.
I am beginning to suspect Hardware conflict.

Castingman wrote:Tried booting with the left shift key held down but got the same option screen I always get: options to install, check, and power off. At the bottom of this screen are the letters E and C. Pressing either of these keys gets me to a command line that has only limited commands available, and none of them look like the list of commands in your post.

I began to think that it was possible you had gotten Zorin installed and the only issue was that you could not use mouse and keyboard.
Clearly, this is not the case and Zorin has not been installed at all.
Castingman wrote:PS: Sorry about the hat.

Yes... it's an old beat up haze gray baseball cap.

Well, looking over your screenshot- yes, very blurry- I think I see
device descriptor read/64, error 32
which is a generic hardware error- fail to read USB.
Also can see
couldn't get uefi db list
and
couldn't get size
Are you booting from a USB write made with persistence? If so, that may be the problem.
Also...
You might try changing a setting in the BIOS from "Customized" to "Standard" for Secure Boot Mode.
Please also see this suggestion (For Elementary O.S.) that I found referenced:
https://elementaryos.stackexchange.com/ ... -cd-screen
I do not know if you can get that to work given what you said previously about not seeing the same options after holding shift key...

Castingman

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42:32 am

Not sure if USB stick has persistence. I have a vague idea what this means but no idea how to check for it. Here's how I made the USB stick:

Downloaded iso file.
Used balenaEtcher to create a bootable Linux USB stick.

The stick is a 16GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide. Once balenaEtcher has finished, Windows no longer shows the drive, I presume because it hasn't been mounted. MiniTool Partition Wizard does see it and shows a 3.62MB Primary FAT12 partition with 36KB used and a 14.32GB Logical Unallocated partition with 14.32GB used. (Note: The "FAT12" is not a typo.)

I don't find any "Secure Boot Mode" setting in BIOS.

Holding the shift key doesn't get me anything different, just the same old options screen.

Would I be better off using a bootable DVD? The old computer does have a DVD burner. (I'm sure it'll also burn CDs but I only have blank DVDs here.)

I sure appreciate your persistence in helping me!

Castingman

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:46:25 am

Oops! That 14.32GB used should read 14.32GB unused.

Castingman

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49:18 am

Oops, again!! 36KB used should be 3.59 MB used and 36KB unused.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:52:59 am

Castingman wrote:Not sure if USB stick has persistence.

You would know if you did because you would have had to go through the steps of setting that up.
Castingman wrote:Would I be better off using a bootable DVD? The old computer does have a DVD burner. (I'm sure it'll also burn CDs but I only have blank DVDs here.)

I strongly prefer a burned disk over USB for installation. Will it help in your case- I do not know- but sure worth a try.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:22:20 pm

An old thread (states the mobo is finicky!) - worth reading through in its entirety and view any links before proceeding:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/485789/ ... otherboard

Castingman

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:41:04 pm

Made a bootable DVD using Windows burner software. Booted from DVD and got to Options menu. Selected Try... and got:
List 1 .jpg

Pressed a key and got Options menu. Selected Try... and got the same error message except the sector number was different.
Repeated a few times until instead of the error message I got:
List 2 .jpg

The only way out of this screen is to reboot.

This sequence happened repeatedly, no matter which Option I chose. The sector number in the error message was different each time but on the last screen the text was always the same but the leading numbers were different.

Fortunately, the text screens stayed until I pressed a key or rebooted. So I was able to focus my camera and get a readable pic.

I also tried holding down the shift key and got the same results. I burned a second DVD on a different computer and got the same results. One time the error message was "invalid magic number". Maybe I need a magician! :?

Aravisian

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:41:59 am

Can you try first to boot in legacy mode instead of UEFI. Check if RAID is enabled. If it is, change disk mode to AHCI. Then try using the disk, again.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:19:14 am

Also, ever used one of these?

https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=a ... 2859146%29

A member in the past had similar issues - just the DVD lens needed a clean!

Did you check the downloaded iso's md5 SHA sum before burning? Did you select the slowest burn rate your Optical Drive supports? The best burner in Windows is imgburn - get it from https://ninite.com to avoid clicking on wrong download button on official site.

Lastly, you did not use a Download Acceleration Manager to download the .iso? That often ends up in a 'coaster' being created (drinks mat).

Castingman

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:11:11 am

Yes, I have. Both burners are in great condition.

Didn't do the check sum thing because I didn't see any instructions on the Zorin site and, though I understand the concept, knowing how to do it is way above my pay grade. (Some of the other distros I've tried did have instructions for doing the check sum thing. I followed them and found no problem. I realize this has no bearing on whether the Zorin iso has downloaded correctly. Just sayin'.)

As for burn rate, it was done on a Windows10 machine which doesn't ask, it just does.

To minimize the probability of a bad download I used 2 separate Windows 10 PCs. Each has its own burner and the iso file was downloaded twice, once to each PC. Since each disc produces exactly the same results, I think it most likely that the fault lies in:

1. My hardware or;
2. Some BIOS setting.

Less likely are:

3. How Windows 10 burns a disc; or
4. Zombies controlling my PC.

I'd bet on 1 or 2. In the past I've used Window to burn iso files and had no problems so I think 3 is unlikely. As for 4, well you just never know. ;)

Just for kicks I burned an Ubuntu disc and got the smae error message as with Zorin. Also burned a Manjaro disc and got:

error: incompatible license.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

So it's looking more and more like 1 or 2.

As a wise man once said: "Keep your sense of humor!"

zabadabadoo

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:09:35 am

Regarding checksum.
You should be able to find checksum for the version you want to use on Zorin website or mirror downloadsite.
It is always wise to verify the checksum of the file you downloaded from Zorin or mirror site before you attempt to install it.
See more here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15174

I use Quickhash checksum checking program for that purpose which is multi-platform and can be downloaded here:
https://quickhash-gui.org/

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:30:33 pm

Hi, I need to update the unofficial manual following the recent releases of 15 (I included all the md5/SHA details at the start of the unofficial manual. You did not state if you used imgburn - DON'T use the Windows 10 built in burner. From a long time of experience, imgburn is the best .iso burner out there. Once again, get it from:

https://ninite.com

I too created a tutorial video on how to check an .iso's md5 sum and also links in the unofficial manual here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14361

You have the option of viewing on-line or downloading either pdf or LibreOffice document if you have limits on your ISP quota. ;) :D

Castingman

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:08:26 pm

First, let me thank everyone responding to my post. I really appreciate the help. Just curious, are the times I see on your posts your local time or mine?

Did the check sum thing and my downloads passed.

Burned another disc using ImgBurn using the default settings. (The manual says: "In most cases you will not need to change any of the default settings. The program is already optimized for the normal end-user." I believe I am "normal" though I have not sought independent confirmation. ;) )

The new disc produces the same error message shown in the first screenshot of my Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:41 pm post. Got it every time I made a selection from the Options menu but with different sector numbers. But I never did get the second screenshot with multiple lines of text. So this is progress, right?

Aravisian

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:29:48 pm

Your computer does not want Linux.

Did you try using Legacy instead of UEFI?

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:09:50 am

Next question, what brand of Disc did you burn to? ;) :D

Castingman

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:43:11 am

DVD Disc is HP DVD+R 16x

Here are the BIOS settings involving UEFI/Legacy and USB:

1. CMS Support: Default Always; Option Never
2. Boot Mode Selection: Default UEFI and Legacy; Options Legacy Only & UEFI Only
3. LAN PXE Boot Option ROM: Default Disabled; Option Enabled
4. Storage Boot Option Control: Default Legacy Only; Options Disabled, UEFI Only, Legacy First & UEFI First
5. Other PCI Device ROM Priority: Default UEFI OpROM; Option Legacy OpROM
6. Legacy USB Support: Default Enabled; Option Disabled
7. Port 60/64 Emulation: Default Disabled; Option Enabled

Booting from the DVD gets the Options Menu. Selecting Try Without Installing and pressing Enter gets:

(With 1 thru 7 set to defaults) The 2 error lines plus the Press any key line (See previous Feb 5 post). Pressing a key gets back to the Options Menu. This repeats several times until only the first error line appears plus the Press any key line and pressing a key gets the multiple text lines shown in my previous post. From here the only option is to restart the PC.

With all defaults except:

2 set to Legacy Only. Same results.
2 & 4 set to Legacy Only. Same results.
2 & 4 set to Legacy Only, 7 Enabled. Same results.
2 & 4 set to Legacy Only, 5 set to Legacy OpROM, 7 Enabled. Same results.

Any suggestions on what other combinations I should try?

Aravisian

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:05:24 am

I looked into the specs on the Motherboard you are using and apparently, it is Not Linux Friendly, at all.

The only "fix" I have found so far is to set
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash iommu=soft"

But that requires you to be able to create the grub configuration.

Castingman

Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:44:07 am

Guess that brings this thread to an end. Thanks again to all who helped.

Aravisian

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:44:22 am

Castingman wrote:Guess that brings this thread to an end. Thanks again to all who helped.

Some have managed to get it to work and others stated that they had no issues.
You apparently are one of the unlucky ones. The final word? Who knows... Will keep looking into it.

Castingman

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:18:36 pm

Still thinking about this and realized that when I switched from USB stick to DVD there was a big difference in the results.

So, I reset BIOS to defaults and booted from the USB stick and got:

Zorin option menu > select Try without installing
Text lines flash by (see previous blury pic)
Black screen with ZORIN in white in screen center and spinning cursor in lower right
Wallpaper and install window (see below) with cursor frozen in lower right
m_100_0051.jpg

Without any changes in BIOS, I booted from the DVD and got:

Zorin option menu > select Try without installing
Text as shown in my Feb 5 post.
The 3 lines of text repeating each time I press a key until the multi line text appears and it's frozen there

Not sure if this offers any clues to a solution but we didn't specifically discuss this issue so I thought I'd mention it.

(Both the USB stick and the DVD were created from the same iso file.)

Aravisian

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:19:02 pm

No quitters here. I love it.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/666051/ ... rrorunable

https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=8720.0
Suggests using Plop

On this Amazon review, https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-990F ... B00545BZOG
David Jayne says:
Code:
I used this board in a new system, and while it seems to be a fine motherboard overall, getting 64-bit Linux to work with it requires two minor tweaks.

First, in the BIOS settings, under the Peripherals tab, you must set "IOMMU Controller" option to "Enabled". Without this setting, USB will not work at all under Linux. My understanding is that the integrated NIC will not work either, but I had it set properly before I got that far (I used a GParted live CD for partitioning prior to installation). USB mice and keyboards still work fine in the BIOS settings, so no worries making this simple change.

Secondly, once Linux is installed USB 3.0 ports will not work (they don't fall back to 2.0 or anything, they are just dead) until you add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft" to /etc/default/grub and then run update-grub (Debian) or grub2-mkconfig (Red Hat) to apply the change.

I have attached screenshots to illustrate these changes. If you are new to Linux and not sure how to complete these steps, I will cover the process below.

Once these changes have been made, everything seems to work just fine. All USB ports are active and the NIC card is recognized without problem.

I ran into these issues installing Linux Mint 17.1, but I imagine they will exist for any Debian-based distribution. I'm not sure if Red Hat derived distros need the same tweaks or not. Also, while researching this, it seemed that only 64-bit versions of Linux have this issue, though you should certainly be running a 64-bit OS to take full advantage of the CPU's this motherboard is designed to use.

One other idiosyncrasy I have noticed is that if I have my ext4 formatted 1TB USB drive plugged in on boot, the BIOS POST seems to take forever. I will stare at the BIOS splash screen for what seems like an eternity. This seems to happen whether or not the BIOS is set to boot from USB, and only with that large ext4 drive. A 32GB fat32 thumb drive causes no issues. I believe there is a BIOS setting to ignore specific drives in the boot process that can prevent this, but I haven't yet tried it.

I should mention that these issues exist as of May, 2015, and will probably be cleared up after one or two kernel releases and/or BIOS upgrades. Mine is a revision 4.0 board with BIOS version F2 (the most recent stable version available). My kernel version is 3.13.0-37-generic.

OK, so here are the step-by-step instructions if you need them:

*** Step 1: Updating the BIOS settings ***

- Reboot your computer, and press the "Delete" key (not to be confused with backspace) when the Gigabyte logo shows on your monitor to enter the BIOS settings. This can flash by pretty quickly, so sometimes it's easier to just repeatedly press delete while the computer restarts until the BIOS settings page shows (see attached screenshot).
- Use the right arrow key to move over to the "Peripherals" tab.
- Use the down arrow key to highlight "IOMMU Controller" near the bottom. Press enter, and a box will pop up allowing you to select "Enabled" or "Disabled". Use the up or down arrow keys to highlight "Enabled" and press enter. Your screen should now look exactly like the screenshot I have provided, the "IOMMU Controller" option showing that it is enabled.
- Press the F10 key to save and exit.

Your computer will now reboot. If you have not yet been able to install Linux (and you probably haven't, if you have a USB mouse and keyboard) do so now. Don't plug your mouse or keyboard into any blue USB ports, as these are USB 3.0 ports and will not yet work. Once Linux has installed (or if it was already installed) boot your computer into Linux and proceed to Step 2.

*** Step 2: Editing /etc/default/grub ***

- Once you see your Linux desktop, open a command prompt from the start menu. This is usually prominently featured on the start menu, looking like a little black monitor screen. It may be under "Accessories" and will probably be labeled "Terminal".
- At the command prompt, enter the following exactly:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

- You will be prompted to enter your password. Please do so. A simple-to-use text editor (nano) will open, and you should see a fair amount of text inside. If the file is empty, press ctrl-x to exit and Google search for instructions for your particular distro.
- There is probably already a line that says GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="", and you will just need to add "iommu=soft" between the quotes. Use the arrow keys to position the cursor between the quotes and add the appropriate text until the line looks exactly like the following:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft"

If there is no similar line already there, you may add it anywhere in the file. If there is a pound sign (#) at the beginning of the line, it will need to be deleted.

- Once the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line has been edited, press ctrl-o to save it, and then ctrl-x to exit nano.
- You need to enter one more command to finalize the new configuration, but it varies by distribution.

If you are on a Debian-based distribution (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint...), enter this command in the terminal window:
sudo update-grub

If you are on a Red Hat based distribution (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, Mandriva...), enter this command in the terminal window:
sudo grub2-mkconfig --output=/boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Some information will print in the terminal window. If it says there were errors, go back to the beginning of Step 2 and try to figure out what you did wrong.

*** Step 3: Reboot your computer ***

- There should be a prominent option on your start menu to shutdown or reboot your computer. You should usually use this, however, if you want to be fancy. you can enter "sudo shutdown -r now" in the terminal window to reboot.

Once you are rebooted, Linux should now be able to access the USB 3.0 ports and will boot much faster as well.

Castingman

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:28:42 am

Success! :D

Enabled IOMMU Controller in BIOS and put USB stick in a 2.0 port on the back of the PC. (I had been using the 3.0 ports on the front of the PC.)

Got the Options Menu > Selected Try without installing > Text lines (see photo) > "ZORIN" in center of screen > Wallpaper with Install dialog box > Selected Try > Text lines again (I think they are the same but text is much smaller and flashes by quickly.) > and VOILA! Full Desktop with task bar and icons.

m_100_0056.jpg
Are these anything to be concerned about?

I'm able to get on my wi-fi network so now I'll have to start reading your Guides.

(I tried booting from the DVD but no luck there.)

If I do the editing in David Jayne'S Amazon review while booted from the USB stick, will the changes be permanent?

Thanks again! :D

Aravisian

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:07:14 am

Castingman wrote:Success! :D

Enabled IOMMU Controller in BIOS and put USB stick in a 2.0 port on the back of the PC. (I had been using the 3.0 ports on the front of the PC.)

Got the Options Menu > Selected Try without installing > Text lines (see photo) > "ZORIN" in center of screen > Wallpaper with Install dialog box > Selected Try > Text lines again (I think they are the same but text is much smaller and flashes by quickly.) > and VOILA! Full Desktop with task bar and icons.

m_100_0056.jpg
Are these anything to be concerned about?

I'm able to get on my wi-fi network so now I'll have to start reading your Guides.

(I tried booting from the DVD but no luck there.)

If I do the editing in David Jayne'S Amazon review while booted from the USB stick, will the changes be permanent?

Thanks again! :D

It depends on the editing that you do.
Most will not remain and be replaced by a full installation. The instructions given in David Jayne's review covers Post-Install/Reboot steps.

On the error list- most are not a big deal but I am a bit worried about that "Couldn't get size" and UEFI error preceded by "11" you can see in the screenshot.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:45:20 am

Regarding the UEFI error message:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13732697

post by steve223. ;) :D

Castingman

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:30:39 pm

Removed the Windows SSD and installed Zorin on one of the other SSDs in order to avoid any further complications setting up a dual boot. Now when Zorin boots from the SSD I don't see any lines of text. But the Zorin splash screen looks like this:
100_0062.JPG

Other than this everything has been working great so I don't know if I should be worried or not. :|

I checked in BIOS and couldn't find a Secure Boot Mode setting.

Aravisian

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:56:00 pm

Castingman wrote: I don't know if I should be worried or not. :|

Vigilant, I think...
At least for a while.

I suggest vigorous testing. :D See what you can run and what software performance you get in a variety of ways.