This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing windows app

Buk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:17:57 am

On https://zorinos.com/help/install-apps/ under https://zorinos.com/help/install-apps/#windows-apps, it says:

Open the Zorin Menu and go to "Wine" > "PlayOnLinux".

But there is no "Wine" option on the Zorin menu; nor anywhere in any of the submenus that I can find?

I installed Zorin OS 15.1 Core because (I read), it comes with Wine pre-installed. Did I install the wrong thing? Or was the website where I read the favorable review of Zorin mistaken?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:22:46 am

Hi, Wine was installed on 12.x and it eventually got into difficulties.

See/read in it's entirety: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14035

Wine is currently at 5. Don't use the Software centre - use 'Synaptic Package Manager' which is in the Software channel - but NEVER boot into Zorin on Wayland - always stick to Zorin default desktop - you can't use Synaptic Package Manager in Wayland trash DE! ;) :D

Search for Wine in Synaptic, select the box to the left of each package that comes up by right-clicking and selecting 'Mark for installation' then once done, click on 'Apply' on the Menu bar at the top. ;) :D

Buk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:34:41 am

Is there a better place for me to ask my very much "Linux beginner" questions?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:08:23 pm

Feel free to ask anything you want - if a different issue, start a new thread. ;) :D

You might want to download the unofficial manual I created from here to start with:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14361

Buk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:44:58 pm

Basically, I do not understand 90% of your previous reply:

Wine is currently at 5. Don't use the Software centre - use 'Synaptic Package Manager' which is in the Software channel - but NEVER boot into Zorin on Wayland - always stick to Zorin default desktop - you can't use Synaptic Package Manager in Wayland trash DE!

1) I don't appreciate the difference between "Software centre" and "Software channel";

There is one Zorin menu item labelled simply "Software". I clicked that, and searched for "Wine". Clicked install and a progress bar appeared.

Some time later I went back in (to "Software" and selected "Installed" sure enough "Wine" appeared there. I clicked it, and then clicked "Launch", Nothing happened. I started the system monitor ap and watch carefully whilst clicking the "Launch" button, and as best I can tell, it doesn't appear to run anything.

After (yet another) re-boot, A Wine entry has appeared in the left hand side of the Zorin menu structure (beneath "Utilities") and if I click it, a submenu item "Browse C: drive" appears.

Clicking that; nothing happens!

2)I have no idea what "Wayland" is or how to avoid it.

When I start the machine, it boots to Zorin. I make no choices; thus I have no idea if "Wayland" s involved or not; or how I would tell.

3) There is no menu option for 'Synaptic Package Manager' anywhere in the Zorin menu structure that I can find.

I would love to download the manual, but when I follow the link to the PDF at box.com (from the link to the forum you provided), the download link top right doesn't work -- it seems to want me to create an account and log in?) and it is so intent on "previewing" the entire manual, it locks up my browser for ages before crashing it.

Is the pdf available as a simple download somewhere?

Aravisian

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:31:28 pm

Buk wrote:Wine is currently at 5. Don't use the Software centre - use 'Synaptic Package Manager' which is in the Software channel - but NEVER boot into Zorin on Wayland - always stick to Zorin default desktop - you can't use Synaptic Package Manager in Wayland trash DE!

Buk, we can install Wine 4 or 5 from a simple list of commands that you can copy and paste into Terminal. Before you install Wine, Please follow the steps in this thread, then move to the thread below.
Buk wrote:1) I don't appreciate the difference between "Software centre" and "Software channel";

There isn't one, really. Two names for the same thing.
Buk wrote:There is one Zorin menu item labelled simply "Software". I clicked that, and searched for "Wine". Clicked install and a progress bar appeared.

Some time later I went back in (to "Software" and selected "Installed" sure enough "Wine" appeared there. I clicked it, and then clicked "Launch", Nothing happened. I started the system monitor ap and watch carefully whilst clicking the "Launch" button, and as best I can tell, it doesn't appear to run anything.

Which is why Swarfendor suggested it not be used. Software (Or Software channel or Center) is buggy. It is part of the Ubuntu Packaging and Ubuntus Software Channel has always been a poor package manager.
Here, we recommend using Synaptic Package Manager, instead. You can install it using
Code:
sudo apt-get install Synaptic

In terminal.
Once installed, we can help guide you with how it is used and what makes it so powerful and unlike "Software", it will not claim something as installed that is installed broken.
Buk wrote:2)I have no idea what "Wayland" is or how to avoid it.

Wayland is a currently incomplete third party project that Gnome seems to believe must be supported and included in Distros in hopes it will replace the X window system (Or X11). The problem is that Wayland brings more problems than it solves and the way it is written, it allows very little room for correction against older systems. No wonder Gnome supports it. The push for Wayland Support is strong even though Wayland, frankly, Sucks.

Buk wrote:When I start the machine, it boots to Zorin. I make no choices; thus I have no idea if "Wayland" s involved or not; or how I would tell.
You would need to select the gear icon next to where you enter your username/password to switch between Desktop Environments.

OK let's get back to Software Channel and what went wrong with Wine.

Software Channel does not properly check the needed Dependency Packages that Wine needs in order to run. So, it will install the base system that makes it seem installed, but not the pieces that it needs to run. Bug.
Please go back into Software and tell it to UNINSTALL Wine. This is to prevent Conflicts when you go to install it properly.

Now, second post down in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15343
Open a terminal and copy and paste the commands one by one into the terminal.

Buk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:09:15 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive explanations!

However:
Code:
me@A320M-S2H:~$ sudo apt-get install Synaptic
[sudo] password for me: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package Synaptic

??

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:05:54 pm

Hi, on the command line it should be synaptic with a small S:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Synaptic Wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/Synaptic

;) :D

Buk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:12:43 pm

I've successfully removed the broken Wine install (albeit I had to go via the "All" tab as it didn't show up under the "Installed" tab, despite that once I found it under "All", it was tagged as "Installed"?)

[strike]But, as the attempt to install Synaptic above failed, I'm assuming that I should wait until that is fixed before continuing with the steps listed in the other thread?[/strike]

Just saw the post about the small s; and this time the install completed. Thanks.

Buk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:30:59 pm

Okay. Other thread followed step by step and
Code:
me@A320M-S2H:~$ wine --version
wine-5.0

Next (related) questions:

Can I also get/add the Zorin menu item for Wine?

Has that process also installed (what I think is called) Play On Linux?

Buk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:41:15 pm

Box.com still won't let me download the pdf of the manual. Is it available somewhere else?

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58:48 pm

Hi, It does take a long time to load the pdf page - you have to wait for the blue line to complete before it is loaded in the browser and before you can click on 'Download'.

Zorin Manual.jpg

After the blue-line has finished going from left to right and click on Download I get this:

download of manual in progress.jpg

So I don't know if it is due to high level of connections or otherwise - there is no other source I'm afraid.

Buk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07:11 pm

Trouble is it never gets that far.

On my old box with Windows and Either vivaldi or Firefox 59, box.com's insanely cpu intensive js crashes the browser long before the document has been fully rendered.

On Zorin using the pre-installed Firefox (63? I'm using the windows box right now because) it crashes the OS!

Can I please download it without it being renders first?

Sorry. Just saw the "No other source" note.

I guess that means I go without, because I've tried 5 times now -- 2 from FF59 under windows, 1 from Vivaldi under windows, 2 from FF63 under Zorin; all broke.

Buk

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:02:03 am

@Swarfendor437

Okay. I got up at 3.30am and tried again to get the manual. This time -- from Zorin/FF71 -- the blue line finally reached the other side. So I clicked the "download" button and got this screen:
(Accept I can't post the images because despite getting a camera shutter sound when I hit alt-prtscn, there is nothing in the clipboard to paste!?)

Anyway, it's the same image as you (Swarfendor437) posted above. A pop up panel telling me my download is in progress and why don't I sign up or login to box.com whilst I wait.

EXCEPT IT IS A LIE! Check FFs downloads screen and NOTHING is being downloaded.

I can only assume the idea is to expand box.com user base by forcing them to sign up before it will allow them to download anything hosted there.

And presumably, Swarfendor437 is on a kick-back for sending the gullible there.

I also assume that this post will get me banned from here, so be it. I have no time for this level of duplicity and double dealing. Not to mention, primitive, unready for prime-time so called operating systems.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:41:48 am

Buk wrote:I also assume that this post will get me banned from here, so be it. I have no time for this level of duplicity and double dealing. Not to mention, primitive, unready for prime-time so called operating systems.

Oh, I wouldn't worry being banned at this time. You got up at 3:30am only to get that Computer frustration we all know and love.
Swarf's a pretty easy going guy.
You are having frustrating troubles with the machine and while that is understandable, let's work see if we can get you fixed up and back to happy/unbannable.
Buk wrote:Okay. I got up at 3.30am and tried again to get the manual. This time -- from Zorin/FF71 -- the blue line finally reached the other side. So I clicked the "download" button and got this screen:
Check FFs downloads screen and NOTHING is being downloaded.

Ok, looking at other previous posts, I found this:
Buk wrote:On my old box with Windows and Either vivaldi or Firefox 59, box.com's insanely cpu intensive js crashes the browser long before the document has been fully rendered.

I think that is the cause- between Java and an OLD version of Firefox, it is just too out of date. If you like, shoot me an email at (Removed by Aravisian- Offer retracted.) and I will email you the .pdf copy of Swarfs Manual.
Buk wrote:Thanks for the comprehensive explanations!

However:
Code:
me@A320M-S2H:~$ sudo apt-get install Synaptic
[sudo] password for me: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package Synaptic

??

I just now saw this. Missed seeing it earlier.
Terminal is Case Sensitive. You had capitalized the "S." (I do this all the time in terminal and in writing .css.)
Try it with all lower case letters and synaptic will install.
Buk wrote:And presumably, Swarfendor437 is on a kick-back for sending the gullible there.

-chuckle- That would be nice... But this is FOSS and Linux, not M$.
Free Open Source:D
One thing about migrating from Windows is Windows users are accustomed to a certain kind of treatment. On one hand, spoiled by the O.S. and on the other hand, treated like a serf with a bottomless wallet.
Things are a bit different on this side of the fence in Linux. It's like walking out of the Bronx into a fresh meadow in the Spring Time.

By the way, did you ever get Wine installed?

Buk

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:06:16 am

@Aravision. As stated, for my latest attempt, I was using Zorin, and the preinstalled version of Firefox 71. This is surely not out of date!

Re: You had capitalized the "S." Besides that I have long since moved past that problem, *I* didn't capitalise the S; I C&P'd from your post where *YOU* had capitalised the S.

vis:

Postby Aravisian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:31 pm

Buk wrote:
Wine is currently at 5. Don't use the Software centre - use 'Synaptic Package Manager' which is in the Software channel - but NEVER boot into Zorin on Wayland - always stick to Zorin default desktop - you can't use Synaptic Package Manager in Wayland trash DE!

Here, we recommend using Synaptic Package Manager, instead. You can install it using

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install Synaptic

Re: This is FOSS and Linux not M$. Zorin & Linux may be FOSS, but Box.com isn't:
Box
company
box.com
Box, based in Redwood City, California, is a cloud content management and file sharing service for businesses. The company uses a freemium business model to provide cloud storage and file hosting for personal accounts and businesses. Official clients and apps are available for Windows, macOS, and several mobile platforms. Box was founded in 2005.Wikipedia
Type of site:Public company

For the record, the manual page is still open in another tab of this browser (FF71) and it is still displaying the "Your download is in progress--why not sign up or log in", and still FF's download page shows nothing being downloaded. That over 2 hours since it clicked the download button!

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:33:05 am

Buk wrote:@Aravision. As stated, for my latest attempt, I was using Zorin, and the preinstalled version of Firefox 71. This is surely not out of date!

Re: You had capitalized the "S." Besides that I have long since moved past that problem, *I* didn't capitalise the S; I C&P'd from your post where *YOU* had capitalised the S.

Well... I quote myself here:
Aravisian wrote: (I do this all the time in terminal and in writing .css.)

I make mistakes, sometimes.

Buk wrote:Re: This is FOSS and Linux not M$. Zorin & Linux may be FOSS, but Box.com isn't

Well, that is fine- Box isn't M$, either.

Buk wrote:For the record, the manual page is still open in another tab of this browser (FF71) and it is still displaying the "Your download is in progress--why not sign up or log in", and still FF's download page shows nothing being downloaded. That over 2 hours since it clicked the download button!

I offered to email you a copy. Realistically, the post I made should have elicited a response from you suggesting you are calming down.

While many of us will gladly overlook the occasional temper flare up due to frustration, and will gladly repetitively try to assist in Our Own Free Time Without Pay, there are limits to how much abuse you can dish out. You have already attacked the integrity of the Moderator and now, when I try to help you are havin' a go at me, too.
Take a walk, get yourself together in whatever manner works for you.
Because as it is, I feel no desire to help you with your installations at this point. You can go it on your own 'til you get civil and polite. No one here owes you Anything. And no one here is obligated to pander to Conspiracy Theories.

Buk

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29:45 am

I respond in kind.

You accused me of (only) using out of date software, when I had clearly stated that I had tried both my old windows system and my brand spanking new Ryzen system with it brand spanking new Zorin OS, and brand spanking new FF71.

You accused me of incompetence, for not recognising that you had made a typo.

And now you accuse me being a conspiracy theorist; but, just to satisfy my own curiosity, I signed up to box.com, and guess what. It finally allowed me to download the damn manual.

(I doubt you'll read this far; but I didn't anticipate still being able to post here; let alone receiving your response.)

I understand your position regarding "Our Own Free Time Without Pay" -- in another place I have have posted 23,775 posts over the last 18 years on a community forum for an FOSS programming language, mostly supporting newbies to the language. And in particular, helping Windows users of that OSS language and protecting/defending them from the prevail negative attitudes of expert *nix users. (And my name is listed in its readme as a contributor; albeit in fairly minor ways.)

I am not so much angry, as disillusioned. One (of several -- I thought, quite carefully researched) reason for choosing Zorin from some 330 distributions apparently out there, is because it had -- or appeared to have -- a support forum that (I thought) was directly associated with the the people producing it (Zorin OS Technologies Limited); ie. this place. But that appears to be a mis-assumption on my behalf.

For example. Earlier you said: "here we recommend synaptic package manager". Why would Zorin (continue) to push the "Software centre/channel/whatever" in the OS, when it is so broken, and universally needs to be replaced with synaptic?

Talking of synaptic. It has what (at first viewing) appears be a very nice GUI. Once you find it. So why don't Zorin include that instead of the broken "Software" thing?

I was a fool. I allowed myself to get sucked in by the description of Zorin as "having the look and feel of Windows". Misreading it to think that meant I wouldn't have to go digging around in the bowel of the archaic, illogical filesystem structure in order to run programs.

In answer to your question (I did posted above saying the process had completed & thanking you for your help), yes I followed your spoon-fed list of CLI pastes and sure enough, Wine was installed. (How could I have discovered/worked-out/received-by-devine-intervention the knowledge, not just of the syntax of that lists of commands; but the need for them, and the ordering, and...?)

But I only knew Wine had actually installed this time, because I went digging around in the bowels of the FS, and discovered a pseudo C; drive complete with "Program files" and "Program files(x86)". (Oh! And a D: drive which appears to be the optical drive, and a Z: drive which appears to be an alias for the linux filesystem visible to windows apps. But no Zorin menu items :(.

I was a fool. I wrongly assumed that "windows look&feel" meant more than a menu structure accessible from clicking bottom left -- I have always (25 yrs) had my windows taskbar top of screen and autohide; but that cosmetics -- and a substitute for Word & Excel, neither of which I have ever used despite having been a Windows user and developer since NT 3.5 (and before: Windows/286).

I don't like MS (as a company, though there evil has long been overtaken by others; but I helped develop OS/2 and when that went **** up, the natural place to take my skill set was Windows NT, because that what my customers wanted)

but when I install an .MSI it either installs correctly, including Start menu items, desktop/taskbar icons, or it fails and rewinds everything it did and leaves my system unchanged
-- and if you know what you are looking for and where to look, precise and detailed explanations of why the failure occurred. That's what I was hoping for when I fell for the "Look&feel" line.

Compare&contrast that to what happened when I attempted to install Wine from the "Software" thing!

The reality is a thin veneer of chrome over the same ol' attitude of "If your not prepared to immerse yourself in the FOSS culture for 5 years penance for your past sins; and become ohfay with creating your code directly in octal using od and editing your images using sed" you are not worthy of using the almighty Linux. I thought (hoped) that things -- especially attitudes -- had changed. But apparently not.

In the same post above where I acknowledged that your list of CLI commands from the other thread had completed without apparent (catastrophic; there were some that flashed by and off the top of the terminal) error; I also asked a couple of follow-up questions; but they have been studiously ignored by all. (And long before I allowed my pending frustration to leek through.)

I'm now trawling the net for a distrubution that has a support forum where the need to run a few windows-only applications isn't seen as reason to berate, belittle, patronise or ignore the requester. So far, no luck, and plenty of examples of exactly that:

Code:
mirroroptic Member Registered: Oct 2013 Posts: 36 Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Unhappy What distro has Wine ready to go ?

Is there a linux distro that has a functional version of Wine on it ? What do I mean ? ... As soon as you install the OS, Wine is ready to go without having to use a command line to activate it. I installed Linux mint on another computer (This one has Windozz). I activated the command line box and tried to copy and paste the text in that was supposed to fire it up. All I got was: Type in your username. I did that and hit enter, only to be asked again and again. I gave up. There are only so many hours in a day. People just want things to work. :-(

Old 09-17-2014, 10:30 PM      #2 sgosnell Senior Member Registered: Jan 2008 Location: Baja Oklahoma Distribution: Debian Posts: 1,054 Rep: Reputation: 281Reputation: 281Reputation: 281

No. If you want Windows, buy Windows. I don't know of any distro that comes with wine installed by default.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:08 AM      #3 John VV LQ Muse  Registered: Aug 2005 Location: A2 area Mi. Posts: 17,462 Reputation: 2604

almost all of them have wine in the repos or on ALL of them you can install the current version from source
BUT
if you MUST !!! 100% MUST use windows ONLY or the windows versions of programs then USE WINDOWS

Old 09-18-2014, 12:25 PM      #4 DavidMcCann LQ Veteran Registered: Jul 2006 Location: London Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu Posts: 5,423 Reputation: 1888

Wine is a tool to run programs, so you don't start it on its own. If you have a .exe file, right clicking in the file manager give the option to open with Wine. But it's better to make an entry in the menu, using the menu editor. So I have a menu entry under "other" for Toolbox, and the command is
wine "/home/david/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Toolbox/Toolbox.exe"
I could even have attached that command to a keyboard shortcut, like <Super>t — you can't get much quicker than that!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:09 PM      #5 mirroroptic Member  Registered: Oct 2013 Posts: 36 Original Poster Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Smile David .... That's what I was looking for. very helpful. Thanks so much :-)

Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 PM      #6 jefro Moderator Registered: Mar 2008 Posts: 19,477 Reputation: 3012

Build your own distro and add in wine (and associated wine files) at SuseStudio.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 PM      #7 dugan LQ Guru Registered: Nov 2003 Location: Canada Distribution: distro hopper Posts: 9,384 Reputation: 4166

a reply to your earlier thread said ZorinOS has Wine preinstalled. And: what was "the text that was supposed to fire it up"?
Last edited by dugan; 09-18-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:33 PM      #8 Randicus Draco Albus Senior Member Registered: May 2011 Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth. Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system Posts: 1,708 Blog Entries: 8 Reputation: 634

Personally, the content of the OP confuses me. The person refers to Windows disparagingly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirroroptic View Post
(This one has Windozz).
But considers Windows applications so vital that his/her Linux system must have Wine. Then finishes by complaining, because Linux systems cannot use Windows applications without the need for the user to do a little configuring. Make up your mind.
Quote:
People just want things to work.(
News flash. Linux and Windows are different systems. Wine often allows users to put a square peg in a round hole and use foreign applications on their systems. That should be reason to celebrate for those who want to use foreign software. I doubt anyone complains about Windows not being able to use applications designed for other systems, such as Linux and BSD. Linux provides that option, but one should not expect using software designed for other systems to not require a little effort on the user's part.

I genuinely thank you for your attempts to help me, but even with wine installed, I am no closer to having what I need. The program (one of several, but the most important of those) that I need to be able to run, failed to install correctly under Wine. I am assured that it can be run under wine, and I suspect that if I could install PlayOnLinux, and/or the Wine Tricks add-on package, I might be able to resolve the reported installation failure.

But without the help of an active (tolerant, enlightened) support forum, I'm never going to succeed in achieving anything. And if simply stating the (negative as well as positive) results of the advice given is seen as a barrier to continued help, then I'd best **** off now.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:49:41 am

Buk wrote:You accused me of incompetence, for not recognising that you had made a typo.

Yes, I made a typo. It's not a big deal, easily rectified. At No Point did I accuse you of incompetence. At all. I just pointed out that the terminal is case sensitive- Seen clearly in the posts above. If you want to claim I accused you of incompetence- Quote me on it. Show that I did so.
HINT: You are unable to do so.
Buk wrote:And now you accuse me being a conspiracy theorist; but, just to satisfy my own curiosity, I signed up to box.com, and guess what. It finally allowed me to download the damn manual.
I have downloaded Swarfs manual MANY times and on behalf of others and I never once needed to create an account. Ever.
Buk wrote: I also asked a couple of follow-up questions; but they have been studiously ignored by all.

I can read the thread- I have eyes- it is documented. This simply never occurred.
Buk wrote:I'm now trawling the net for a distrubution that has a support forum where the need to run a few windows-only applications isn't seen as reason to berate, belittle, patronise or ignore the requester.

With the way you respond to people, good luck. You project your behaviour onto others.
Buk wrote:But without the help of an active (tolerant, enlightened) support forum, I'm never going to succeed in achieving anything.

The problem isn't the lack of tolerance on the forum- it is in your chair. You are extremely defensive, combative and accusatory.
Forums like these are best served by helping people that actively want to accept help. Biting the hand that feeds you is not conducive to that.
Buk wrote:And if simply stating the (negative as well as positive) results of the advice given is seen as a barrier to continued help

Simply? You claimed that Swarf was involved in a conspiracy with Box.com to rob you blind and accused me of calling you an incompetent.

From this point forward, I choose to offer you no assistance whatsoever. You are not worth the aggravation. Why would I want to discuss computer troubleshooting with someone that picks a fight with each member that tries to help?
If others would like to step up and do so, fine.
Buk wrote:I genuinely thank you for your attempts to help me, but even with wine installed, I am no closer to having what I need.

It is very likely that I could help you resolve that. But I am not able to get past your attitude and accusations.
So- I don't care. Enjoy your computer and your net-trawling.

Buk

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:49:35 am

Quote me on it. Show that I did so.

I cannot; because you edited it out of your post. I quoted you accusing me for your typo in my reply, which you cannot edit away!

You say you've downloaded the manual "many time and on behalf of others". Why do you have to download it on behalf of others? Why can they not download it themselves.

You say I: "accused swarf ... of robbing you blind". I didn't say any such thing. I said, that the website where Swarf has chosen to host the manual is preventing anyone from downloading the manual until they sign up. I can also tell you that when you sign up, the first screen you are dumped in wants you to pay for that sign up. (You have to seek out the free option.)

But no matter, your dishonesty in that action marks you as worse than "Swarf".

And the nail in the coffin for my interactions here. Bye.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:40:01 am

Buk wrote:
Quote me on it. Show that I did so.

I cannot; because you edited it out of your post.

No, I did not edit any such thing out of my post. In fact, I even had quoted myself:
Aravisian wrote:Well... I quote myself here:
Aravisian wrote: (I do this all the time in terminal and in writing .css.)

I make mistakes, sometimes.

Not only did I not accuse you of incompetence, I had made light of myself by pointing out that I made that mistake in both .css and in the terminal (i.e., it is no big deal.)
That is hardly an accusation of incompetence and in a normal discussion, that would have been a bit funny.
No- I did not Edit it Out.
The manner in which you have conducted yourself combined with the irrational accusations and projections you make suggest your presence on this forum would be disruptive and detrimental to the board.
Request Closure of thread.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09:52 pm

Buk wrote:@Swarfendor437

Okay. I got up at 3.30am and tried again to get the manual. This time -- from Zorin/FF71 -- the blue line finally reached the other side. So I clicked the "download" button and got this screen:
(Accept I can't post the images because despite getting a camera shutter sound when I hit alt-prtscn, there is nothing in the clipboard to paste!?)

Anyway, it's the same image as you (Swarfendor437) posted above. A pop up panel telling me my download is in progress and why don't I sign up or login to box.com whilst I wait.

EXCEPT IT IS A LIE! Check FFs downloads screen and NOTHING is being downloaded.

I can only assume the idea is to expand box.com user base by forcing them to sign up before it will allow them to download anything hosted there.

And presumably, Swarfendor437 is on a kick-back for sending the gullible there.

I also assume that this post will get me banned from here, so be it. I have no time for this level of duplicity and double dealing. Not to mention, primitive, unready for prime-time so called operating systems.

No kick-backs to me friend - they must have either:

1) Changed their policy on sharing (Like Mega - you have to pay to share - rip-off) :twisted:

2) My manual is causing them Bandwidth issues! :o :shock: