This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation without USB OR CD?

gtlacey

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:40:23 am

Hi,
I have a small tablet, 32 G hard drive, running Windows 10. I'd like it run Zorin-by itself-but the machine has neither USB port nor CD drive for installation. Is there a different way of installing Zorin?
Currently, I only have about 8G available on the hard drive but perhaps I could reclaim some by deleting Windows 10 updates and get back to Windows 8?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

G.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:12:50 pm

Hi, could you please provide us with the make and model of Tablet and I will PM AZorin to see if it is possible. ;) :D

Aravisian

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:18:18 pm

gtlacey wrote:Hi,
I have a small tablet, 32 G hard drive, running Windows 10. I'd like it run Zorin-by itself-but the machine has neither USB port nor CD drive for installation. Is there a different way of installing Zorin?
Currently, I only have about 8G available on the hard drive but perhaps I could reclaim some by deleting Windows 10 updates and get back to Windows 8?

G.

How do you charge the tablet PC?

gtlacey

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:00:30 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, could you please provide us with the make and model of Tablet and I will PM AZorin to see if it is possible. ;) :D

Thanks for the reply. Ematic EWT826BK 8" 2 in 1 32G 1G RAM Has a removable keyboard

gtlacey

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02:40 am

Aravisian wrote:
gtlacey wrote:Hi,

G.

How do you charge the tablet PC?

Thanks for your response. The tablet charges through a micro USB port, however, the USB does not work for anything other than charging.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:30:45 am

gtlacey wrote:The tablet charges through a micro USB port, however, the USB does not work for anything other than charging.

You have to start the Tablet a certain way, and then instruct it to open the port- After-all, they got Win10 on there somehow, right?
Yes, it is possible to install Linux (Zorin, in this case) on the tablet. It is also a complex installation. I do not have that information handy at the moment, but later, I will try to make a guide for it.

gtlacey

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:50:01 am

Aravisian wrote:
gtlacey wrote:The tablet charges through a micro USB port, however, the USB does not work for anything other than charging.

You have to start the Tablet a certain way, and then instruct it to open the port- After-all, they got Win10 on there somehow, right?
Yes, it is possible to install Linux (Zorin, in this case) on the tablet. It is also a complex installation. I do not have that information handy at the moment, but later, I will try to make a guide for it.

Thank you for the offer of a guide. I did find some information at https://askubuntu.com/questions/484434/ ... nd-usb-how but it talks about an ultimate installation of Ububtu (which may be exactly the same?), seems to say that this will only work with Windows 7 or 8.1 and doesn't seem to address my small disk size. :D

The machine boots with UEFI and I have had limited success in exploring capabilities-probably my limitations as opposed to the machine. In the boot up menu it does offer me the opportunity to use the USB but when I try it it tells me that there is no USB installed! How interesting if one can get the USB to perform-why would they deactivate it?

Thanks again.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05:25 am

gtlacey wrote:How interesting if one can get the USB to perform-why would they deactivate it?

Thanks again.

Control.
Windows.
They do not want you changing the Operating System.

Oh, almost forgot: Please read this article First:
https://tablet.ninja/can-you-install-linux-on-a-tablet/

gtlacey

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:04:45 am

Aravisian wrote:
gtlacey wrote:How interesting if one can get the USB to perform-why would they deactivate it?

Thanks again.

Control.
Windows.
They do not want you changing the Operating System.

Oh, almost forgot: Please read this article First:
https://tablet.ninja/can-you-install-linux-on-a-tablet/

Well, that's a sobering read!
With regards to your comment regarding the USB port; Devices and Printers actually shows what is connected but there is no access to the item and no flags with errors. I have read a number of articles on editing the registry (done) and editing device manager (done) but to no avail.

gtlacey

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:48:10 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, could you please provide us with the make and model of Tablet and I will PM AZorin to see if it is possible. ;) :D

Hi Swarfendor437, did AZorin get back to you regarding the possibility of installing Zorin? Whilst I don'd seem to be able to use the USB there are a number of suggestions out there using other software-although Virtualbox wont run on my machine (32 not 64) If Zorin can be installed, did they come up with the best way?
Thanks for your help.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:17:38 am

Just checked my PM panel and quite a few recent PM's are still in my Outbox which means he hasn't been online and looked at my messages! :o :shock:

gtlacey

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:58:30 am

Okay, thanks. Hopefully, he comes back with some good news...