This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can I Install Zorin Lite on top of Zorin Core?

JohnLion

Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:56:25 pm

Hello! I have Zorin Core, but am curious to try out Zorin Lite. Is it possible to add the Zorin lite desktop on top of Core? Thanks!

Aravisian

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:04:26 pm

JohnLion wrote:Hello! I have Zorin Core, but am curious to try out Zorin Lite. Is it possible to add the Zorin lite desktop on top of Core? Thanks!

You can install alongside or use the LiveCD trial version. Personally, I strongly prefer Lite.

JohnLion

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:24:22 pm

What do I need to install on my current Zorin Core? Am I just installing the XFCE desktop?

Aravisian

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:39:15 pm

JohnLion wrote:What do I need to install on my current Zorin Core? Am I just installing the XFCE desktop?

Yes and no... Zorin Lite uses XFCE desktop, but it is also configured and tweaked by the Zorin Team. For example, they added DockbarX to the panel for the release version of Zorin Lite.
Installing Zorin Lite would show you the Zorin Version- but you are completely right in thinking you can achieve the same yourself by installing all the packages yourself- or installing only the packages that you want.
You can install XFCE desktop using terminal with the
Code:
sudo apt-get install xfce4

OR you can go another way and install the Xubuntu XFCE desktop
Code:
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Once you have done so, you can begin adding the packages you want and exclude the ones you do not.

It really depends on what build you want. I would use the LiveCD trial to explore first, before installing anything.

JohnLion

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:02:57 pm

Thanks for the overview! Excellent info. I am very appreciative of the effort. Loving Zorin!