This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How much space for Zorin Ultimate?

newzedder

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16:16 pm

My new computer arrived a few days ago and it seems to be up and running with no problems. I have Zorin Ultimate on a usb stick now, ready to install when my nerves are up to it and I've got all my instruction sheets lined up. However, because it's got more packages available to it than Core, I am wondering how much space I should allocate for it, for the root partition. It'll be going on a 2 terabyte hard drive (internal); nothing else on that drive apart from 135 Mb put there as "partition 1" (/dev/sda1) by Microsoft (Microsoft reserve). I note suggestions of around 35 to 50Gb for root, for Zorin 15 Core....how much more then for Ultimate, do you think?

star treker

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:35:04 pm

Zorin OS Ultimate, Education, and Core

CPU 1 GHz Dual Core - 64-bit
RAM 2 GB
Storage 10 GB (Core & Education) or 20 GB (Ultimate)
Display 800 × 600 resolution

Aravisian

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:13:11 am

newzedder wrote:My new computer arrived a few days ago and it seems to be up and running with no problems. I have Zorin Ultimate on a usb stick now, ready to install when my nerves are up to it and I've got all my instruction sheets lined up. However, because it's got more packages available to it than Core, I am wondering how much space I should allocate for it, for the root partition. It'll be going on a 2 terabyte hard drive (internal); nothing else on that drive apart from 135 Mb put there as "partition 1" (/dev/sda1) by Microsoft (Microsoft reserve). I note suggestions of around 35 to 50Gb for root, for Zorin 15 Core....how much more then for Ultimate, do you think?

As StarTreker pointed out the Minimum Specs, your advances above are probably more maximum. Really, 50 gigs should be MORE than enough.
If you clean regularly, such as cleaning your apt cache, you'll find you can get by on very little.

newzedder

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:04:10 am

Thank you for that. Just want to get it right first time.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37:39 am

Normally I suggested 30 Gb but with flatpak.cache problems on another OS which also had 30 Gb I was running out of space so advise 50 Gb to be on the safe side. ;) :D