This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ASUS Radeon R7 360 2GB GDDR5 Overclocked Video Card

dwysywd2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:53:56 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am trying to install a ASUS Radeon R7 360 2GB GDDR5 Overclocked Video Card on my current Zorin machine. I cannot get past the download of the Linux driver from the AMD website. I have only had this version of Linux for a day and I am already reaching some frustrations with it. My goal is to run dual monitors, better screen on the card for possible future gaming. Any suggestions?

Aravisian

Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41:31 am

dwysywd2020 wrote: I cannot get past the download of the Linux driver from the AMD website.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? What exactly is the sticking point?

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:31:05 am

Again, as stated elsewhere, that card was made for the other OS and unfortunately AMD no longer directly supports linux. The release notes associated with the download for your card only supports Ubuntu to 15.10 if you scroll down to the bottom of this page:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/relea ... -lin-15-12

Zorin 15.2 is based on Ubuntu 18.04. Your best bet for dual monitors is to use xrandr. Can't advise on gaming though.

dwysywd2020

Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:17:22 pm

@swarfendor437 I appreciate the input. So I am understanding you correctly, basically I cannot use this AMD Radeon card with the current Zorin software? Or are you saying the xrandr software will help?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:16:14 pm

What I am saying is that you may have issues wanting to use it for gaming. xrandr is in respect of dual monitor setup. I've never been an ATi fan - was tempted at one point to buy the All-in-One Wonder TV Graphics card many moons ago. I've generally been an nVidia fan for most of my computer usage, but initially for me it was Matrox. I still have my ancient 4 Mb PCI card in my original rig with the videocapture card (and reconditioned analog TV card also from Matrox! LOL!) On Linux I don't use proprietary drivers. The kernel is supposed to include drivers for both AMD and nVidia.

The other aspect of gaming is that if you are a heavy user of EA games you are in for one big disappointment as I posted elsewhere:

https://youtu.be/GGZCT3lTgos

dwysywd2020

Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:30:15 pm

I guess gaming is not really what I am doing... my main intent was to have dual monitors. I built this computer with my son a few years back and he wanted this graphics card. And when he built his latest gaming computer with the intel 7 platform this one never got used b/c it needed a new power supply. So PS installed. Now I am setting up my first Linux OS. I read a lot about the many kinds. I picked Zorin b/c it seemed the most user friendly. If I can get the dual monitor to work, awesome! If not, I will just sell the graphics card. They are not worth much...

So, I am very NOOB to Linux and changing code things like this.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:53:22 am

You may not need xrandr. Go to Menu | Settings | Devices | Display and select 'detect monitors'.

dwysywd2020

Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:43:58 pm

It doesn't have that feature "detect monitor". I just checked.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:43:09 pm

I do apologise - I think it was in 12 - only to be more embarrassed after checking my copy of Zorin 12 Core to see no information on Displays and also what appears to be Zorin Lite Settings image!

Does anything from this thread on askubuntu help at all?:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1078539 ... untu-18-04

Aravisian

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:25:23 pm

This is part of why I use Zorin OS Lite which uses XFCE. Display settings are a breezy snap on XFCE.

star treker

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15:17 pm

And I am using Zorin OS 12.4 Ultimate, running XFCE desktop, and I freaking love it. Victory dance moment! HEHE :lol:

I suggest your best bet is just to buy a new Nvidia GPU card, all of them should support dual monitor support, and Nvidia supports Linux. Then sell your ATI card for like 50 bucks or whatever.