This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

simple question regarding dual boot

Mike11

Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:57:17 pm

Hello mdiemer,
in a thread you posted this

It might be simpler to install a dedicated drive for Linux, assuming you have room in your computer. I picked up a Sandisk 250GB SSD recently for $35.00 USD, and put Linux on it. Then you can keep everything as it is on the other drive.

It's best to disconnect all drives but the one you are installing to. Then Zorin will be sure to install to the SSD. After, reconnect the other drive/s.When you boot the SSD with Zorin, run the following command in the terminal: sudo update-grub. Zorin will detect the other drive/s, and next time you boot you can select which OS/drive to boot. (If you have trouble booting zorin after doing this, go into your bios and make sure the new drive is the first boot option. After you run the command, your computer should present you with Grub, which is the Linux boot menu).

With SSD's so cheap these (not to mention fast,) why not give this a try? It will avoid so many headaches!

I think I will follow this advice. Just for my understanding I have a question: In case I am forced to upgrade Win7 to Win10, could I simply disconnect the Linux SSD, install Win10 on the other SSD, then reconnect the linux SSD and run the command sudo update-grub to get the dual boot working alright?

Thanks and best wishes from Paris,
Mike

Hayashbra

Tue May 12, 2020 7:28:48 pm

I think as long as you choose to boot the Linux ssd (I used Zorin Lite) first it sorts its self out. You get Zorin boot page to select windows if needed. If Windows is selected to boot priority it overwrites the Linux loader I read somewhere. Worked great for me.