This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

NEWBIE hoping for answers

Deeanna

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:25:36 am

Hello!
I just got brave enough today to download Zorin 15.1 and burned it to a live disk. My plan is to install it and replace Windows 7 but I need to know if I can still do everything I do with Windows 7. I ran the live disk and it started and ran very quickly... sweet!

Two problems with first use...

1. I tired to download and install Thunderbird... I wanted to see if it would allow me to use all my email accounts. It gave me an error that the file was missing....??? It shows Thunderbird like you can download it... I don't understand. So.. I looked for other email programs and tired to download different ones but got the same thing..???

2. I really wanted to print something while I was there and clicked to print it but it told me that there was a problem with my printer... not possible... I had just used it 5 minutes prior in windows and it was perfect and after I came back to Windows it printed fine. The printer isn't 4 months old. It could clearly read my printer because it showed the correct printer name and model number... Canon TS 3122 ???

It did allow me to download other things .. such as Gimp..etc. without any problems.

Thanking You in advance for your wisdom!
Deeanna

Aravisian

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:28:14 am

Part of the trouble with testing in LIVE version is that while you can still do most things, it is not fully set up and there are some things you cannot really do. Whatever you do in LIVE must still be saved in memory or on disk, even if temporarily.
When you install, you should be able to use your Printer (I agree that you most likely do not have a problem with the printer itself) since installation can be followed up with updating and -getting- the proper drivers.
It's also possible that once installed, you may need to set up the printer or do some troubleshooting- but that is what this forum is for:)
For me, the printer worked right away with no trouble after installation of Zorin 15.2 Lite.

The same may go for Thunderbird- I am not sure. It comes with, so I have Thunderbird. But I never actually use it. I can shed no light on that off-hand, but we can try researching that and see what comes up.

LIVECD is pretty good for a preliminary examination and testing, but for heavier usage, installation of a lot of software or detailed work- it's more troublesome and this is true for any Distro. For proper updates, upgrades, drivers and the like- installation of the OS is really the best way to go.

As far as whether you can do everything on Zorin that you can on Windows- sadly, no. There are many independent software packages that are written only for Windows. Often times, however, there are Linux equivalents. For example, "Office" (MS) and Libreoffice (Linux).
Sometimes there is no Linux equivalent and you must use WINE (Wine Is Not An Emulator) to run MS-compatible software on Linux.
I will admit- I was very worried about certain apps that I knew I would need WINE for. I installed WINE, installed the apps- and ended up never using them. I don't miss them.
For some using very specific app needs, they must use WINE, though.

JeffK969

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:05:30 pm

Hello Deeanna,
Welcome to Zorin. Ok, what he didn't tell you is that he doesn't use the old windows programs because he spends much of his spare time helping others on this forum, creating themes for anybody to use. After he may eat, sleep & shower. J/K, he doesn't eat & sleep... Aravi is a great resource, along with Swarf, that you will come to trust. He won't steer you wrong. He is a wealth of knowledge that can help.

Deeanna

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:03:07 pm

Thank You for all the information that you gave!
I've changed my mind about 15.1 and I'm going to try the 15.2 Lite that you are using.

If you install this one along with windows 7, can you still re-install later over windows?

Thank You!
Deeanna

Deeanna

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:11:29 pm

Thanks Jeff for that vote of confidence in Aravisian! I think his name instills faith in his knowledge!

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:41:12 pm

Hi Deanna,

To install your Canon printer in either Core or Lite you will need the Linux driver - Lite comes in 32-bit and 64-bit so you will need the correct driver:

TS3122.jpg

I've not visited Lite in quite a while, not since version 12. You are best downloading the .deb package (debian) from Canon - it's the IJ Printer package. It's usually in Archive format so extract the archive after downloading, go to Packages folder and choose the correct 32- /64-bit .deb package and use Gdebi Package installer - you should install that first via terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Not sure if this works in Lite but I don't recommend using the interface that comes with Zorin Core (Menu | Settings | Devices | Printers) but instead at the command prompt:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer

Now select 'add printer' - it should pickup the canon and then go to the drivers page and then the package you installed should show up - select it and then do a test-print.

For your scanner you need to download scangearmp version 3.50 - use Gdebi again to install. To run it open terminal and enter

Code:
scangearmp2
It's no where near as elegant as the Wndows version but that's Canon for you! You can make an applet for it on the desktop.

The links to instructions I made for a member who uses TS8000 are on my pCloud - the links are in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13895&p=60913#p60871

Aravisian

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25:20 pm

Swarf, thanks for the Printer help:)

Deeanna wrote:I'm going to try the 15.2 Lite that you are using.

I STRONGLY prefer Lite as I find Gnome (Which is used by Zorin Core) to be unfriendly for the user, clunky and controlling.
XFCE versions 4.12 and 4.14 work well. But with the advent of version 4.16 looming, I have been using the Cinnamon Desktop Environment which works very well on Zorin Lite. In fact, it works better on Zorin Lite than it does on Mint!
Deeanna wrote:If you install this one along with windows 7, can you still re-install later over windows?

Yes, you can. You would not need to re-install if you do not want to. If you decide you would like to fully engage your hard drive with just Zorin, you can edit the partitions using Gparted. You would select the partition containing Windows, then delete it. Then expand your existing Zorin partition into that space.
Doing so would require you to Update the Grub in order to ensure a successful reboot- so if you decide to take that route, please start a thread where we can give a Full Walkthrough on it step by step.
Deeanna wrote:Thanks Jeff for that vote of confidence in Aravisian! I think his name instills faith in his knowledge!

The name comes from a short story I wrote when I was a kid... The character "Aravisian" was a mouse... that carried a sword...

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:49:29 pm

Before deleting windows! If on a notebook you might want to backup the drive in it's entirety first... and before that open up notepad and copy and paste this script and save it as .vbs - NOt .txt:

Code:
' VBS Script to get the Windows(R) 7 Product Key from a PC's registry.
'
' Save the VBScript as "getWin7Key.vbs" somewhere on your Windows7 PC.
' Now, when you double-click the local script file an alertbox pops up
' displaying the product key stored in the machine's Windows registry.

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

KeyPath = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"
MsgBox ExtractKey(WshShell.RegRead(KeyPath))

Function ExtractKey(KeyInput)
    Const KeyOffset = 52
    i = 28
    CharWhitelist = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
    Do
        Cur = 0
        x = 14
        Do
            Cur = Cur * 256
            Cur = KeyInput(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
            KeyInput(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
            Cur = Cur Mod 24
            x = x -1
        Loop While x >= 0
        i = i -1
        KeyOutput = Mid(CharWhitelist, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
        If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
            i = i -1
            KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
        End If
    Loop While i >= 0
    ExtractKey = KeyOutput
End Function

Save as: get-win7-productkey.vbs

[Source: https://gist.github.com/eyecatchup/d577 ... uctkey-vbs]

Then download a Windows 7 .iso from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7

And then you can run Windows 7 as a Virtual Machine inside of your chosen Zorin release - but only if you have a minimum of 4 Gb RAM installed. :D

Deeanna

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:04:22 am

Angels in Heaven must be smiling down on me... the Masters have found me and extending a desperately needed lifeline!
THANK YOU!
I've wanted to try doing this for a very long time and now with all this time on my hands...
I really hope I can accomplish it. I'm thinking I need a new external hard drive to install to.
I must get one before I can continue. So my search for one begins!
QUESTION? I want to save all the advice that you have given me, I saved the whole page to my computer but when I loaded it to check it... it's very hard to read... is there a better way of saving this?

Aravisian

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:21:35 am

Deeanna wrote:Angels in Heaven must be smiling down on me... the Masters have found me and extending a desperately needed lifeline!
THANK YOU!
I've wanted to try doing this for a very long time and now with all this time on my hands...
I really hope I can accomplish it. I'm thinking I need a new external hard drive to install to.
QUESTION? I want to save all the advice that you have given me, I saved the whole page to my computer but when I loaded it to check it... it's very hard to read... is there a better way of saving this?

Can you get those grinning angels to maybe do something about the Covid Bug?

When I want to save instructions, I usually just copy paste them into a .txt. file and label it as "Instructions for <such and such>" That way, you get the needed info in a familiar format, can make corrections to it if necessary, takes up very little space and no extra fluff to clutter it.

Deeanna

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:50:03 am

Sure wish I could make the Covid Bug disappear for good.
Copy and paste.. I shall do and that will make it easy to print when I need it in my hand.
Thanks for doing what you do! People like me.. need people like you!

Deeanna

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:15:00 am

I am copying and pasting.

Swarfendor437... put the code there for me to save and I need to know... do I leave the "Copy: select all" in the file or not?

Deeanna

Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:08:36 am

Preparing for the big event..I went to canon website and saw where to download the printer driver and then I went to try and download the windows iso file... I entered my product key as requested and it would not allow me to download it...

I took a snapshot but can't figure out how to put it here.. so.. this is what it says:
ERROR
The product key you entered appears to be for software
pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please Contact
the device manufacturer for device recovery options.

AAARRRGGGHHH... LOL...

Good NIght!

Aravisian

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16:13 am

Deeanna wrote:Preparing for the big event..I went to canon website and saw where to download the printer driver and then I went to try and download the windows iso file... I entered my product key as requested and it would not allow me to download it...

I took a snapshot but can't figure out how to put it here.. so.. this is what it says:
ERROR
The product key you entered appears to be for software
pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please Contact
the device manufacturer for device recovery options.

AAARRRGGGHHH... LOL...

Good NIght!

Windows...

There is a reason we escaped it.

On the "Copy: Select all" that is just a note by the forum software and should be ignored.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:04:52 am

Select all when you press copies everything below it to your Clipboard. Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) then go to Terminal menu of Edit then select paste - you can't right-clck in the terminal and Ctrl+ V does not work in the Terminal. ;)

Did your notebook not come with any recovery disks you might have a system restore partition - you could leave that intact for now if you so wish.

Interesting thread here:

https://www.sevenforums.com/backup-rest ... files.html

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:07:13 am

Aravisian wrote:
Deeanna wrote:Angels in Heaven must be smiling down on me... the Masters have found me and extending a desperately needed lifeline!
THANK YOU!

Can you get those grinning angels to maybe do something about the Covid Bug?

When I want to save instructions, I usually just copy paste them into a .txt. file and label it as "Instructions for <such and such>" That way, you get the needed info in a familiar format, can make corrections to it if necessary, takes up very little space and no extra fluff to clutter it.

As Aravisian said - go to file and save in your browser then use the drop-down to select text file. ;) :D

Aravisian

Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25:48 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Select all when you press copies everything below it to your Clipboard. Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) then go to Terminal menu of Edit then select paste - you can't right-clck in the terminal and Ctrl+ V does not work in the Terminal. ;)

Actually, you can right click in terminal on Zorin Lite and I thought I recall doing so in gnome-terminal on Zorin Core, as well.
But right click - then paste- works in xfce4-terminal as well as several other x terminal emulators. Please let me know if Gnome is the oddball.
ctrl+v does NOT paste in terminal as that command is reserved for something else.
But, ctrl+shift+v does work to paste and ctrl+shift+c will copy in terminal.
Swarfendor437 wrote: go to file and save in your browser then use the drop-down to select text file. ;) :D

Good point. It never occurred to me to do it that way. I always just copy from a webpage, then open a new .txt file and paste it in, then save.
I'll have to try it by your suggestion and see if I gets the feels.

Deeanna

Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:34:42 pm

Thanks for the explanations... I know I shall be needing them and I'm copying everything to my text file.

QUESTIONS??
I have ordered external hard drives to use for Zorin but with normal delivery delayed due to Covid 19 deliveries taking precedence, it may be a month before I receive them.

Therefore... I have an external hard drive from 2009 that is divided into many different hard drives and I have cleaned a 200GB drive section off. If I install Zorin now with Windows 7 using this hard drive...can I switch to the new drive when it arrives? When you install Zorin, does everything go on the new drive or is some of it on the original windows 7 hard drive???

Deeanna

Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:35:35 pm

ANOTHER QUESTION??

Is it possible to install Zorin as a portable operating system on an external hard drive that I can take with me wherever i go and just plug it in and boot it??

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:33:12 pm

Deeanna wrote:Thanks for the explanations... I know I shall be needing them and I'm copying everything to my text file.

QUESTIONS??
I have ordered external hard drives to use for Zorin but with normal delivery delayed due to Covid 19 deliveries taking precedence, it may be a month before I receive them.

Therefore... I have an external hard drive from 2009 that is divided into many different hard drives and I have cleaned a 200GB drive section off. If I install Zorin now with Windows 7 using this hard drive...can I switch to the new drive when it arrives? When you install Zorin, does everything go on the new drive or is some of it on the original windows 7 hard drive???

If you intend to install to an external drive, to save yourself a major headache, disconnect the internal drive. If this is a Notebook you will have to remove a screw or two to remove the HDD cover. Depending on make an model of notebook. Notebook hard drives usually have a tag to ease it out from the SATA connection. Once you have done this, remove the drive while you attach the external drive and follow the instructions here:

https://www.suse.com/c/how-create-exter ... dual-boot/

You won't be able to take your external drive anywhere and just boot off it - you would need a USB stick to boot off that first. If you were to take it to another machine in your travels you might find that the machine you visit has a locked BIOS or you would need to disable some boot procedure in the BIOS to enable it to boot off the external drive. You would be better off making a USB live boot stick of 8 Gb and use something like this once you have your Zorin installed:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13887&hilit=+multisystem.tar.bz

Tutorial video here:

https://vimeo.com/manage/104187694/general

Deeanna

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:21:17 am

Thank You SOO MUCH for all the great guidance and links you are providing!
I'm learning tons of stuff that I didn't know and learning many things that I need to know to prevent me from making terrible mistakes.

I have now downloaded and burned to dvd both 15.2 64 bit and 15.2 32 bit.

I have older computers hanging around plus laptops that I have replaced with newer versions. I think for now that I will attempt tying to install 15.2 Lite on one of my older computers and maybe an older laptop also.

My current working desktop is a HP i5 and it won't even let me into the bios to change the boot sequence. I just learned that tonight by trying to get in there to see if it would allow for a bootable usb drive.

When life hands you lemons...find a way to make lemonade :')

I will probably be crying for help.. real soon...lol

Good NIght!

Aravisian

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:05:30 am

Deeanna

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07:24 pm

Are you marrried? I think I'm in love! ... :')

Your link got me to a page where I used the virtual assistant to find instructions on how to get to the Bios on my HP Elite CMT PC... once you know the correct sequence of clicks to get there... it works like magic!

THANK YOU!

My journey continues...

Aravisian

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:46:18 pm

Deeanna wrote:Are you marrried? I think I'm in love! ... :')

Your link got me to a page where I used the virtual assistant to find instructions on how to get to the Bios on my HP Elite CMT PC... once you know the correct sequence of clicks to get there... it works like magic!

THANK YOU!

My journey continues...

Oh, don't worry. My grumpy and mean nature will fix that real quick. ;)

I joined this forum a little over a year ago as a new Linux user as I started out with Zorin. Swarfendor, Zorinantwerp and others helped me a lot. Much I also searched and got sorted on my own.
Taking what I have learned and posting to help others here helps pay it back. But also, trying to help others resolve problems helps me to learn more.
Now, I am working on creating a desktop environment and even an O.S. that is non-systemd to suit my own needs. I started on my journey a few steps sooner than you. But I'm sure you will catch up and become a guru in no time.

Deeanna

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:16:13 pm

Ok... I'm in trouble and don't know what to do.

Trying to install 32 bit on 32 bit emachine and it didn't install... it said something failed too quick for me to read it and then it went to a screen that says..

BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3.2) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) blinking cursor here

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Deeanna

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:11:29 pm

I'm going to re download it and start over and see if I have any better luck.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:26:34 pm

If this is an old machine it could be a graphics issue - I came across similar issue when decommissioning work machines for recycling when Zorin was at version 9. When you boot into live mode does it work at all? You may need to Edit the bootloader by pressing E during boot time and where the line that starts with Linux right at the end of that line enter 'nomodeset' - spaced from the last item and without the quotes, then boot. ;) :D

This thread might help regarding the error message - could be a hard drive error/potential failure?:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=287518

Deeanna

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:34:10 pm

On this XP puter I am trying to just install 15.2 lite by itself to the existing hard drive.

I have redownloaded balenta etcher and the os and I tried to install and it says windows 7 or above needed...

I'm afraid I downloaded the wrong version this time.... AARRGGHH... doesn't pay to get frustrated... I'm assuming that the 32bit does cover XP... is that correct???

Deeanna

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35:16 pm

I just went in to check the one I downloaded and it says 32 bit... I'm confused.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:36:09 pm

I would give Rufus a try first.

https://rufus.ie/

I updated my last post about a user of Mint having the same error message re busybox - please check that out first. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:36:51 pm

Are you talking about the .iso or Etcher? Just sent you a PM :D

Deeanna

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:27:57 pm

I replied to your message and hope you go there.

Deeanna

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:38:21 pm

I don't know how to use this forum... hopefully, I shall learn. The message I thought I had send to you is in my outbox and I don't think you will every get it... lol At least here it says postreply and it does..lol I'm embarrassed... How do I make it go from my outbox to you?

Deeanna

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:26:36 am

Can't drive myself any crazier today.. lol

Tomorrow hopefully will be a better day.

Thanks!
Good Night!

Aravisian

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:20:02 am

Deeanna wrote:Ok... I'm in trouble and don't know what to do.

Trying to install 32 bit on 32 bit emachine and it didn't install... it said something failed too quick for me to read it and then it went to a screen that says..

BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3.2) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) blinking cursor here

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

First, when you get to the screen above, type the word
"exit"
then hit the enter key. You should see some error messages, can you take a clear picture and post it or write them down and then post them here?

If it is the Most Common issue, you may decide to just jump straight to running fsck
Code:
fsck -y  /dev/mapper/zorin--vg-root

But if this doesn't work- we will need to see what errors you get from the suggestion above.

Deeanna

Tue May 05, 2020 5:50:53 pm

Format_Disk.jpg
Original Format Window for USB Stick
USB_properties.jpg
NEW USB Stick Properties
I've purchased the Zorin OS Ultimate online. I downloaded the files and used Etcher to create the USB boot sticks.

This process has created many new questions for me. Hope you have all the answers :?

If you want to install it on old XP computer, do you have to create the usb stick on that system or will it work using an exfat usb stick that was made on windows 7?

When Zorin installs... does it download drivers for the existing graphics and hardware?

If not, how do you SOLVE that issue?

Can you... disconnect the existing hard drive and install to a usb external hard drive?

I'm confused about which file system should be used on the usb bootable sticks. I purchased 32gb usb sticks and the very first one that I used etcher to burn ultimate 64 to... was a failed drive. When I checked it in Windows Explorer.. it showed an efi file .. but only showed a disk size of less that 4gb. Truly confused by that....

Then I formatted the next the usb stick to exfat with a file allocation of 16384 kilobytes... and it installed and validated and said it was a successful drive.

What would be the correct file system and allocation for Win 64 and Win 32 ???

THANK YOU!

Aravisian

Tue May 05, 2020 7:09:32 pm

Deeanna wrote:If you want to install it on old XP computer, do you have to create the usb stick on that system or will it work using an exfat usb stick that was made on windows 7?

Yes, it will work no matter where you formatted the USB stick. Recommend Zorin ultimate LITE if an old computer that was using XP.

Deeanna wrote:When Zorin installs... does it download drivers for the existing graphics and hardware?

It does if you select the checkbox during the installation steps to install additional drivers. Personally, I suggest you leave that unchecked, then install base and barebones. Once the installation is complete, then do an update and upgrade, as your hardware and set up were firmly read and established by the installation.
This MAY help prevent corrupted downloads that can happen if it is done during installation.
This is just my opinion.

Deeanna wrote:If not, how do you SOLVE that issue?

After installation, there are several methods to get new drivers. It really depends on what you need, but first, you may just open a terminal and update your sources list
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Then upgrade the system
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That should get you set up- but sometimes, different apps on different hardware have different driver needs. so it does not, then you will want to focus on individual drivers if needed.

Deeanna wrote:Can you... disconnect the existing hard drive and install to a usb external hard drive?

You certainly can do that.

Deeanna wrote:I'm confused about which file system should be used on the usb bootable sticks. I purchased 32gb usb sticks and the very first one that I used etcher to burn ultimate 64 to... was a failed drive. When I checked it in Windows Explorer.. it showed an efi file .. but only showed a disk size of less that 4gb. Truly confused by that....

I cannot say for certain on Your Circumstances...
But I do know that some jerk-wad USB stick makers take a small disk stick, say 8gigs, and then write a code that is formatted into it that makes it tell a computer it is plugged into that it has a 32gig capacity. Yes, they are Lying and Cheating. I have bought one, once, myself.
The best solution to that is to buy your gigstick from a reliable seller.
Another possibility is that the GigStick was formatted For Windows in a format you could not access or read...
There are many USB file check programs available. I would run a check on the disk using one before trashing it.
On Linux, you could plug the disk in and examine it or format it with many tools, including gparted, if you have a Linux OS installed on another machine.

Deeanna wrote:Then I formatted the next the usb stick to exfat with a file allocation of 16384 kilobytes... and it installed and validated and said it was a successful drive.

What would be the correct file system and allocation for Win 64 and Win 32 ???

THANK YOU!

When you format your gigstick to then burn your installation medium on to it, format it to FAT32. Then use your burner to write the bootable installation medium to it, (Recommend Rufus if you are using Windows) and then insert that into your computer that wants a shiny new OS and boot from the gigstick.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 05, 2020 7:41:04 pm

A word of caution. As it is a machine that had XP on it it might be difficult to run - whatever you do don't do an update for the graphics. Zorin 15.x was made with regard for latest nvidia graphics to cater for those who were struggling to install earlier versions of Zorin. I had to upgrade my nvidia graphics from an Asus chipped GT620 to a Zotac 1030 - the minimum requirements of nvidia graphics for Zorin 15 would be a GT730. If you have an AGP card it may struggle even more - that is why I went for FerenOS 64-bit for my Ladyship's rig - because it has a Compositor setting to prevent tearing on the old 256 Mb AGP card from EVGA! :D

Deeanna

Wed May 06, 2020 11:26:21 am

Many THANKS to the MASTERS !!!

We shall continue our journey now!

Deeanna

Thu May 07, 2020 12:53:47 am

Question about the file allocation size:

I put a new usb stick in and checked it and it said 32GB FAT32 with 16 kilobytes allocation..
The exfat sticks that I did with 16384 kilobytes aka 16 megabytes file allocation that did say successful drive...
is that huge file allocation going to be a problem? Should I reformat them and start from over? If so, is the
16 kilobytes file size correct or should I put something else?

I had formatted them in the the exfat file system because someone told me that is the only file system that
both Windows and Linux can read... Is that true?

Question about installing to external hard drives:

The reply from earlier that stated it doesn't matter what makes the usb stick.. the computer will still read it..
makes me wonder... Can I use my Win7 desktop to install Zorin Lite to an external hard drive without doing
any of the updates or upgrades and then plug it into the XP and then do the update and upgrade?

I've ordered external hard drives to use and they are suppose to arrive the 13th. It will probably be a miracle if they
arrive on time cause nothing has for two months... but in the meantime.. I'm trying to learn all I can and I hope to be
ready to dive back in as soon as they do. I do have the 2003 XP that I don't think I will wait for an external drive to
try it again.

THANKS from the NEWBIE that wants to dot every I and cross every T...so hopefully my next try will be a success.

I

Aravisian

Thu May 07, 2020 2:44:37 am

Deeanna wrote:Should I reformat them and start from over?

If it was me, I would, just to be sure. But below, there may be pertinant information
Deeanna wrote:I had formatted them in the the exfat file system because someone told me that is the only file system that
both Windows and Linux can read... Is that true?

Fat32 or NTFS can both be easily read by either O.S.
exFat can be read by linux but only with the installation of a few additional packages. So you would want a Linux OS installed prior to using an exFAT formatted usb stick.
Using exFat allows a greater file allocation size.
Deeanna wrote:The reply from earlier that stated it doesn't matter what makes the usb stick.. the computer will still read it..
makes me wonder... Can I use my Win7 desktop to install Zorin Lite to an external hard drive without doing
any of the updates or upgrades and then plug it into the XP and then do the update and upgrade?

Yes, you can do that and you can run Zorin or any other distro from the external drive. However... the bottleneck is in how the drive connects to the computer. If you run the OS on an external drive that plugs in by USB port, you will see Slow Performance.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 07, 2020 8:58:28 am

I haven't tried this with an external drive but here is my potential solution - Bear in mind that I don't think it can resize hard drive sizes so if the drive in your XP machine is smaller than the one you have running ZorinOS already you may be in for some issues.

1. Download and burn Clonezilla from here: https://clonezilla.org/

2. Attach your external drive to the PC/Notebook that has Zorin on

3. Boot off the Clonezilla CD (or memory stick if you prefer.

4. Select your Zorin disk as the source disk and the external USB HDD as the target disk. Remember to also copy the bootloader from the source disk. You will be warned that this will delete everything on the target drive

5. Go to XP machine, attach the external drive, boot of Clonezilla and make external drive the source and XP HDD the target. Again you will be warned - if there is an issue with disk size this might not be feasible but is one of the easest methods to get the desired result. I had to clonezilla my FerenOS 2020.04 to another FerenOS install after I had backed the first one up using Rescuezilla (no relation to Clonezilla)

Deeanna

Thu May 07, 2020 12:14:17 pm

WOW...my very first thought... If only I could copy and paste their brains!

THANKS TO YOU BOTH !!!

Deeanna

Aravisian

Fri May 08, 2020 12:15:28 am

There are things in my brain that I think I prefer others not see. :P

Deeanna

Fri May 08, 2020 12:57:26 am

Ditto :oops: :D

Aravisian

Fri May 08, 2020 4:13:18 am

Deeanna wrote:Ditto :oops: :D

It is true for everyone, which is why I said it fearlessly.

I joined the Linux user crowd a little over a year ago- which I think I mentioned to you already. But the point is, I did not JUST NOW start trying to help others resolve issues with their OS or Computer, either. Your brain will step up and occupy as you go along, pretty quickly.;)

Deeanna

Fri May 08, 2020 4:38:30 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I hope you are correct!
Been very busy with misc.problems to solve...
Life does get in the way of what we really want to be doing.
I hope to get back to my old XP sometime today!

Smiles!
Deeanna

Aravisian

Fri May 08, 2020 10:26:05 pm

Oh, I know it.
Garage door torsion spring broke. So I have been unable to move cars in and out to work on them. Getting the new Springs and such in the morning, so that will help. Door is a custom one, weighs over 300 lbs. Fortunately, in an emergency, I can deadlift that but I'd rather not do that often... Already have opened and closed the garage four times at this point that way.
Nice timing, though. Especially with all the Covid-19 changes.
Taking the opportunity to disassemble all the tooling stations in the shop and rearrange in a better way to make as much use of the space as possible.
In the middle of this- someone requested a new icon set... sigh...

Deeanna

Fri May 08, 2020 11:49:02 pm

I understand the .. sigh... life does get in the way.. lol

What country are you in? I'm in Florida in the USA.

Sounds like you must be a master mechanic! I could sure use one of them here. Good Mechanics are very hard to come by where I'm at.
I had my share of garage door problems, when the eye of Hurricane Charlie made a bee line for my home and sent a tornado right at me that took my roof off and almost completely collapsed my garage. That wasn't any fun at all and garage door still doesn't work right. I had a garage door company come to fix it but the metal is still not lined up right and it won't work with the garage door opener anymore.. only by hand.. so I leave my car out front now... lol

I was really looking forward to getting to my old XP today.. but it didn't happen... again... sometimes I just have to shake my head and grin and bear it... lol Maybe tomorrow.... we are under a stay at home order here... I was a home health nurse here for 20 years and a lot of older folks call on me for a lot of different things right now. I'm doing all I can to help them right now even though I'm not suppose to. Most are too old to get out and go get their groceries and meds and they aren't getting the help that they normally get right now... so I'm doing whatever I can. I just got back home from my last request and I'm beat. Run, Run, Run... try to take care of everyone.

This Pandemic sure is life changing!

Smiles!
Deeanna

Aravisian

Fri May 08, 2020 11:57:42 pm

Deeanna wrote:I understand the .. sigh... life does get in the way.. lol

What country are you in? I'm in Florida in the USA.

Sounds like you must be a master mechanic! I could sure use one of them here. Good Mechanics are very hard to come by where I'm at.
I had my share of garage door problems, when the eye of Hurricane Charlie made a bee line for my home and sent a tornado right at me that took my roof off and almost completely collapsed my garage. That wasn't any fun at all and garage door still doesn't work right. I had a garage door company come to fix it but the metal is still not lined up right and it won't work with the garage door opener anymore.. only by hand.. so I leave my car out front now... lol

I was really looking forward to getting to my old XP today.. but it didn't happen... again... sometimes I just have to shake my head and grin and bear it... lol Maybe tomorrow.... we are under a stay at home order here... I was a home health nurse here for 20 years and a lot of older folks call on me for a lot of different things right now. I'm doing all I can to help them right now even though I'm not suppose to. Most are too old to get out and go get their groceries and meds and they aren't getting the help that they normally get right now... so I'm doing whatever I can. I just got back home from my last request and I'm beat. Run, Run, Run... try to take care of everyone.

This Pandemic sure is life changing!

Smiles!
Diana

It is. Some changes may actually help some things. Reducing other illnesses being spread, for example.
While the flu and common cold are not as deadly as Covid-19, it still helps.
Good on you getting help to those that need it. I understand how you feel, though. bene accused of having a superhero complex, before.
Master Mech? No- but I still say I am a good one because I pay attention to detail and give unadulterated Honest diagnosis.