This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

15.2 Booting up boot menu over and over...

Stewart_T

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:33:49 pm

Hi all

First time post, after searching for someone else with the same problem. I haven't found anything.... (sorry if it's here somewhere) and I'm not the techiest of people.

I installed an earlier version of Zorin OS a year or two back onto a HP 100S netbook for a friend of my mother's. Usual story - 32GB HDD with Windows wanting it all. It's ran fine since then but she texted me the other day sating she was having issues with Firefox and Thunderbird - which are pretty much the only two apps she uses.

I picked it up, kind of fixed the Firefox issue - and then saw there was a Zorin OS update. I started with that - but lost patience when it didn't appear to be doing anything. So I am pretty sure I mucked this up.

I downloaded Zorin Core 15.2 - made a bootable 4GB USB Drive and did a fresh install. When restarting though - it just flashes up with a Boot menu - asking me to select what is enabled from the BIOS. Selecting any of these options, or escaping, simply brings you back to the same page and I see infinity...

Photos of the various BIOS screens attached. The No HDD message at the security password bit is making me think??? But on other screens its seen - it's Sandisk iNAND32GB.

Any ideas?

Aravisian

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:45:29 pm

Are you dual booting Windows OS and Zorin OS on the same machine?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:52:33 pm

It should be an 8 Gb stick minimum = 4 Gb is too small. ;) :D

Stewart_T

Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:39:26 pm

Hi - thanks for replies.

No - it's not a dual boot machine. Was solely Zorin OS for a year or so. Only want it to be 15.2 Core now.

With regards 4GB stick - according to the Zorin website it says 4GB was suitable for Core. I made a bootable 4GB stick and have checked it for errors - no problems. I've booted off that 4GB stick and it's fine.

I've installed a fresh version of 15.2 Core onto the Laptop 5 or 6 times (I believe) but when the time comes to have it boot up off the OS that I think is on the laptop's own 32GB flash HD - no joy.....

Aravisian

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:07:51 am

What happens if you down arrow Boot Mode to Legacy instead of UEFI?

Stewart_T

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:11:07 am

Aravisian wrote:What happens if you down arrow Boot Mode to Legacy instead of UEFI?

It gets to the boot screen slightly slower. Ultimately - same result.

Stewart_T

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:55:44 am

This is what I see shortly after the Lenovo splash screen. And then again no matter what option is selected.

Stewart_T

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10:25 pm

Think I might need to try something completely different.

Aravisian

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:44:36 am

Stewart_T wrote:This is what I see shortly after the Lenovo splash screen. And then again no matter what option is selected.

Can you please review the guide here:
https://itsfoss.com/fix-ubuntu-freezing/
And confirm any steps you have already tried (Or hopefully, find one that works)?
Without more information... it is very difficult to troubleshoot a vague issue. Would be nice if the computer gave a pop up filled with detailed information when something like that happens.

Stewart_T

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:26:32 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Stewart_T wrote:This is what I see shortly after the Lenovo splash screen. And then again no matter what option is selected.

And confirm any steps you have already tried (Or hopefully, find one that works)?
Without more information... it is very difficult to troubleshoot a vague issue. Would be nice if the computer gave a pop up filled with detailed information when something like that happens.

Thanks. I've had a look at that page but don't think it's that issue.

It's not freezing part-way through the boot issue - it's not starting to boot at all. Lenovo splash screen comes up, then it asks you to select where you want to boot from. When I select the Ubuntu (or any option) it asks where I want to boot from.... over and over.

I've booted up from the 4GB Core Zorin OS and when looking to install a fresh version clean onto the drive it tells me that a version is already there. I just click the option to wipe that and put a fresh OS on the 32GB HD.

And I always come back to this.

1) Could it be an issue with the boot loader? I have little to no experience of attempting to repair these or install fresh ones.
2) Should I attempt an install of some other Linux? Just to see whether that can be installed and then successfully boot off it's own installation...?

Scarce info I know - but I have no idea where else to look or what else to try.

Aravisian

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:23:30 pm

Stewart_T wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

Thanks. I've had a look at that page but don't think it's that issue.

It's not freezing part-way through the boot issue - it's not starting to boot at all. Lenovo splash screen comes up, then it asks you to select where you want to boot from. When I select the Ubuntu (or any option) it asks where I want to boot from.... over and over.

I've booted up from the 4GB Core Zorin OS and when looking to install a fresh version clean onto the drive it tells me that a version is already there. I just click the option to wipe that and put a fresh OS on the 32GB HD.

And I always come back to this.

1) Could it be an issue with the boot loader? I have little to no experience of attempting to repair these or install fresh ones.
2) Should I attempt an install of some other Linux? Just to see whether that can be installed and then successfully boot off it's own installation...?

Scarce info I know - but I have no idea where else to look or what else to try.

Have you tried nomodeset, listed in that guide?
If there is an issue with the graphics starting to load before some modules are ready for it, it will bump you back to the boot screen.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:09:01 pm

Uhh! I groaned when I saw eMMC - they should have been consigned to the trash can at point of concept (along with Celeron, Sempron processors and Chromebooks!).

Take a look here:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/install ... mc/76016/4

Scroll down to the potential solution provided by anon57518943. ;) :D

Oh and apologies on size of USB memory stick - I must have been looking elsewhere! :D

Aravisian

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22:13 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Uhh! I groaned when I saw eMMC -

Ack* Good catch Swarf. That would explain it.