This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

OLD PC: install won't continue after creating user. (15.2)

FerociousZ

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:01:57 pm

Hello All,

I'm trying to install Zorin OS 15.2 Lite 32-bit on an old PC. Live USB boots up. Run install and go thru the prompts but at the final step I enter the new user info and continue then I see the desktop and a spinning wheel (mouse pointer), no progress on the install. USB drive is flashing for a while. I have left it over night and still on same screen bur USB is no longer flashing. I also tried LXLE 18 and same thing. Rebooted to see if it did install on HDD but no. Any ideas?

Thanks is advance

SPECS:
Mobo: ECS KT600-A v1.1
Chipset: VIA Apollo KT600
CPU: Athlon XP 2200+
RAM: 1.2GB
HDD: 10GB IDE

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:49:46 pm

Hi, you state you are trying to install to a 10 Gb hdd - Zorin needs a minimum of 16Gb. :(

FerociousZ

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:07:47 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, you state you are trying to install to a 10 Gb hdd - Zorin needs a minimum of 16Gb. :(

Not according to this for the LITE version... https://zorinos.com/help/system-requirements/

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:23:51 pm

My mistake - been using Core too long! I still think it would be pushing it a bit - Is this using the Auto installation method where you let Zorin do everything for you? ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57:13 pm

FerociousZ wrote:Hello All,

I'm trying to install Zorin OS 15.2 Lite 32-bit on an old PC. Live USB boots up. Run install and go thru the prompts but at the final step I enter the new user info and continue then I see the desktop and a spinning wheel (mouse pointer), no progress on the install. USB drive is flashing for a while. I have left it over night and still on same screen bur USB is no longer flashing. I also tried LXLE 18 and same thing. Rebooted to see if it did install on HDD but no. Any ideas?

Thanks is advance

SPECS:
Mobo: ECS KT600-A v1.1
Chipset: VIA Apollo KT600
CPU: Athlon XP 2200+
RAM: 1.2GB
HDD: 10GB IDE

It may be that the Graphics are loading prior to the settings in the O.S.
You may try booting in nomodeset, and see if that helps.
To do this:
Boot and at your computer M.B. splash screem start holding down the left shift key. This should boot you up into a boot recovery screen.
In recovery mode, drop to terminal
In terminal, enter
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

This will open the document in a terminal text editor window
You will see something like this:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=1
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

For GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, change it to say GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
Save it by hitting ctrl+O and then exit with ctrl+X

Please update this thread if it helps or if it does not.

FerociousZ

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29:19 pm

Hello Aravisian, I was unable to get into recovery screen. Spending too much time on this. I'm going to dispose of it. Thanks anyway.

FerociousZ

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:14:21 pm

I decided to install Tiny Core v11.1 and it's working.

mdiemer

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:58:40 pm

Some other light systems to consider, if Tiny Core is not to your satisfaction:

Puppy Linux
Vector
Watt (in process of transitioning to Via OS - I've been patiently waiting for this one as it's a very light system with a nice GUI).

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:54:21 pm

Hi mdiemer,

I took a look at a recent WattOS on an old Dell (now disposed of) and it would not run as the machine was not p.a.e. compliant for it to run.

The best lightweights for me are:

AntiX and MX-Linux - MX-Linux wins for me as you can configure the live desktop how you want it and then save that layout for the install! And another puzzle was that on a reboot on the Dell I got rid of saying it was using p.a.e. - must have been using force-pae by itself - and would explain why the CPU was practically running at 100% all the time! :D