This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem with zorin os core installation

Nines

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:51:55 am

Hi, I'm super new to Linux and I'm having trouble with installing zorin.

My computer is a Dell inspiron 13.

I downloaded zorin and followed the steps listed on their website (meaning I used balena Etcher and a USB). Everything was running smoothly until I had to choose whether or not erase the whole disk. I chose to install zorin alongside windows 10 and then a message saying that and error ocurred because partition #5 couldn't be created came up.

Now my laptop is stuck displaying that error message and I don't know what to do. I'd try installing it again and choosing the option that wipes the disk clean but I can't even restart my laptop.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:01:12 am

Nines wrote:Hi, I'm super new to Linux and I'm having trouble with installing zorin.

My computer is a Dell inspiron 13.

I downloaded zorin and followed the steps listed on their website (meaning I used balena Etcher and a USB). Everything was running smoothly until I had to choose whether or not erase the whole disk. I chose to install zorin alongside windows 10 and then a message saying that and error ocurred because partition #5 couldn't be created came up.

Now my laptop is stuck displaying that error message and I don't know what to do. I'd try installing it again and choosing the option that wipes the disk clean but I can't even restart my laptop.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

First, you need to boot into Windows and use a Disk Partition manager to allocate space.
You can only have up to Four Partitions on the disk -which given your error message, you can see what happened there.

Allocate a partition. Next, ensure that "Fast Boot" is turned off or disabled in Windows, otherwise the Unix-based Operating system will not be able to access the hard drive. Fast Boot on Windows locks it.
Next, boot from your USB into Zorin and begin your install. Choose the "Something Else" method. It will open a gparted Disk Partition manager in the Zorin O.S.
Select the Partition you previously allocated for Zorin and then click the "-" button to Delete It.
Next, you will click the "+" button to add a parition, format the partition (FAT32) and then select it to install to.
On the Pop Up window, ensure you set the Mount Point as "/" (no quotation marks).

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08:38 pm

Run Zorin in live mode (Try option at top of boot menu). Once in live mode, run GParted (just enter that in the Windows 7 style menu search bar. Once it has loaded, select you notebooks hard drive and check to see how many partitions are on there - if 4 and all marked as Primary that will be the issue. You will need to make a choice of which one to delete - but be careful! I would search online for 'How to dual boot Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 13 with Windows 10' - someone may already have done it and written a tutorial on it. (Zorin is based on Ubuntu). ;) :D