This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

password

MartinMelbourne

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:42:58 pm

I would like to install ZORIN but not have to put in a password .Is it possible to do that.
I have tried to do that with Mint,Ubuntu and several other Linux OS but all require a password to be placed at instillation.
I really do not like having to put in a password every time you install or remove a program .
Suggestion.
Place a password if you want one on a Flash stick USB so that the system is locked when the stick is removed.
The computer will not load the OS unless the USB is inserted .
Nothing beats a physical barrier just the same as pulling the power plug ASAP when the system is attacked

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12:29 pm

Your last comment reminded me of a brilliant article in Linux Magazine about how to do just that. I missed the first part of the tutorial and when the 'Every issue of Linux Magazine' came out on the DVD Cover of a special edition I thought great! - but it just lists past issues that you have to buy! AAArrrrrgggghhhh!

The reason behind the password is a bit like UAC in Windows - you need it to give yourself 'root' privileges - no password, no privileges. I suppose you could try and get away with a blank password but a better alternative would be to create a second user account with autologin - just keep the prime account for adding stuff. Make your second user a Standard User - you would need to then just add your user password to access as root. ;) :D