This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual Boot zorin 15 and LM19.3 on a DV6 HP Laptop

IBPeepin2

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:06:43 am

Is it possible to dual boot Linux Mint 19.3 and Zorin 15 on a laptop PC If so please point me to the How TO...
any Info appreciated.

Aravisian

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:06:57 am

IBPeepin2 wrote:Is it possible to dual boot Linux Mint 19.3 and Zorin 15 on a laptop PC If so please point me to the How TO...
any Info appreciated.

Yes it is possible. Although, In my case, I am just running the Cinnamon Desktop on Zorin.

To dual boot, insert your installation media and when ready to begin the installation, follow the steps you normally would to do a basic installation until you reach the point that the installer is ready to write to disk.
It will ask you if you want to "Erase disk and install:- NO
It will ask if you want to install alongside: That is what your goal is. You may choose this option if you like and the installer will create a partition that is about half of the partition size available automatically and you may then proceed to follow the prompts.

It will also ask if you "Want to do something else" - This method allows you to use the partitioning editor to choose which partition to use and to choose the size it is. Let's say you want one OS to have the lions share of drive space and the other to have only what it needs (20 gigs or less) for basic testing (This is what I do. I have to test some things on Gnome, so I dual boot a Zorin Core instance. The Core, or Gnome, instillation only has 15gigs partitioned to it and I probably could have used less than ten, really.)
This guide shows good screenshots with step by step instructions on the "Something Else Method"
https://www.linuxtechi.com/ubuntu-18-04 ... reenshots/
Make sure you set your Mount Point as
/

Swarfendor has also written several walkthroughs on it.