This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to get Zorin core 5 32 bit working on labtop

SyberJake

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22:32 am

Hello, I am currently having issues installing Zorin on my Dell Inspiron 1501. I would like it to work and such because i'm very interested in trying it out. I am not new to computers and are quite familiar with a lot of things with them and have experience with macs and pcs...but I am a newbie to Linux. I am currently running Windows Xp pro service pack 3. I would like to dual boot zorin with it. Now, the problem is when I put my Zorin imaged dvd into my drive and try to run the live CD, I got a black screen with like rainbow colors on my monitor going vertically on the screen...It seems to do this in all the different types of Live modes too. :? Plz help me! any Ideas??? I'm pretty sure its combatible with my labtop it is a 64 bit processor so 32 should work right??

Ps: I am scarred to run the installer directly because if it doesn't work on live CD what if it doesn't work at all??

dustinandson

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:56:58 am

I think sounds like an issue with a bad disc as I had this problem too. few other things Id suggest dont know what may have went wrong but these could be some key things my opinions.

first start all over

maybe check quality of disc your using

use firefox

download ver of zorin you want to use and don't do anything else not even facebook once download starts may not be the problem but definitely safer I'd just run it right b4 bed.

use Imgburn or power iso to burn image and do so at slowest avliable speed

thats some pointers Ive picked up along the way seem to help me out when burning something as major as an os you don't want the even the slightest of errors and thats always protected me.

read this again

http://zorin-os.com/free.html

also dbl check here just to make sure all your T's are crossed and I's are dotted

http://zorin-os.com/installguide.html

The color thing I think may be a graphics driver error b/c that happened to me once I activated the driver it seemed not to do that not sure if that's something you can do running live though

SyberJake

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:31:00 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I think your right....I kinda made my Mac burn the disc at the fastest speed. I now see why that wasn't the smartest idea...

craig10x

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:13:15 am

yep...it's a power regression in the latest kernel (.38) which all the latest versions of linux distros have, including Zorin 5...
it causes up to 25% more power to be used, makes cpu's run hot and fan going at high speed to try to cool the computer down...
It doesn't affect every computer...doesn't seem to have any particular pattern...it may or may not cause a problem on your particular hardware...

You might want to run the live dvd of Zorin for a few hours and do cpu intensive stuff like watching flash videos and listening to streaming radio...if your fan doesn't go into high gear then you should be ok upon installing...

It affects my computer and i have to wait for a "fix" to eventually come down before i can install Zorin 5 myself...

VanR

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:04:11 pm

Yep that's why I updated the kernel to 2.6.39 as soon as I got my OS 5 stable enough. 2.6.38 was power hungry. I'm actually running 3.0-2 I think now.

craig10x

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:55:13 pm

VanR wrote:Yep that's why I updated the kernel to 2.6.39 as soon as I got my OS 5 stable enough. 2.6.38 was power hungry. I'm actually running 3.0-2 I think now.

Interesting :)
How does it compare now for you...has it eliminated all those problems? (running hot...fan going on high speed all the time, occasional shut downs of computer from the heat, etc.)...

Also was curious how you installed it...i never upgraded a kernel on any linux distro before...
And you are running 3.0-2 now?

I know the kernel developers are working on fixing the problem in all the kernels from 3.8 and up...but still haven't released a fix yet...

VanR

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:47:57 am

Well I never really had too much trouble from 2.6.38 kernel. Occasionally I would see one core of my processor running at 100% for a while. I would have to reboot and that would correct it. That is all gone now with the latest kernels. I'm actually running 3.0.0 rc5. Available here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
Click on the kernel you want and you have to download all 3 pieces of the kernel starting with the kernel headers that say all.deb./ then kernel headers and then linux image generic. Make sure you get either 32 bit or 64 bit as your computer needs. Double click the files you downloaded (starting with the all deb file.and install either with gdebi or software center.. Reboot.

craig10x

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:57:40 pm

Thank you VanR...and appreciate the link as well...I guess i wlll just have to install Zorin 5 and see how it goes as far as the .38 kernel and if it seems it might be helpful to go for the 3.0 then i will change to it from the link you gave me....

I'm familiar with downloading debs so no problem....And after downloading the three parts, all you have to do is re-boot then?

VanR

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:27:04 pm

craig10x wrote:Thank you VanR...and appreciate the link as well...I guess i wlll just have to install Zorin 5 and see how it goes as far as the .38 kernel and if it seems it might be helpful to go for the 3.0 then i will change to it from the link you gave me....

I'm familiar with downloading debs so no problem....And after downloading the three parts, all you have to do is re-boot then?

Well you have to install them first. :D Might be a good idea to open a terminal and run "sudo update-grub" (without the quotes) also before you reboot.

craig10x

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:29:49 am

I ran a live dvd of kubuntu 11.10 daily build (which in fact now contains the 3.0 kernel which is the one that will follow .39 and will be in all the fall ubuntu based distros) and still had the same power regression problem as when i ran Zorin 5 live dvd on my laptop....

Believe it or not, i think that until the bug is fixed by the kernel developers and it comes down to the distros, there is probably only one answer if you have loss of battery life on charges or/and fan running on high speed all the time and computer overheating (as i do)...is to instead install the last kernel that didn't have the problem, which was .37 i believe....

Give that a try!...A shame to have to step back but if you want to run Zorin 5 with none of those problems, it would seem to be the best answer right now...

I'm thinking about doing that myself, in fact, because i like Zorin 5 better the Zorin 4 and it would be the only way i can install it at this time...
If you do it, please post the outcome ;)

By the way, when you change the kernel as you did and did the "update grub" command in terminal, did the computer then automatically boot into it when you start up your machine? I was wondering because i never did this before...

VanR

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:53:17 am

I have 37 kernel on my machine. It is probably the best kernel I have run to date. It was a downgrade for Zorin 5, but I keep it just in case I need a kernel I can rely on.

VanR

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:10:27 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:So are you running 5 with that kernel?

Well I'm currently running 3.0.0rc5, but .37 will run on Zorin OS 5 yes.

craig10x

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:36:04 pm

I went back to Linux Mint because of certain buggy problems i had with Zorin 5...I am currently in Mint 11 which uses the .38 kernel just as Zorin 5 does, and installed the .37 kernel on it and it works just as good as the .38 kernel without the "power regression" bug that was introduced as of .38 kernel...

Using "Start Up Manager" (which is pre-installed on Mint and available in ubuntu software center on Zorin) i can change the default kernel the system boots into at any time i want....

I figure that i will stay in .37 until a fix comes for .38....at which time i could switch back to my .38 kernel and see if it solves the problems...

Meanwhile Mint 11 and .37 kernel work great and i don't see any reason it shouldn't work just as well on Zorin 5....

craig10x

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:17:46 pm

You're very welcome ;)

Sorry i couldn't stick with Zorin but it is working out well for me with Mint and the .37 kernel...very pleased with the set-up....But i will drop in here from time to time to see how things are going :)

oleriis

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16:13 am

Hi, I have the same problem with overheating on my Lenovo T400. But apart from this, I like the Zorin5 very much, so I thought that I would like to change the kernel to .37. However, I am a newbie, so can anybody advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Ole