This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing zorin os5 ultimate 64bit

erk

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:28:14 pm

I have just received this in the post thanks,but when I try to install it, it does not see the WinXP already on the hard disc.
Why?
I didn't have this trouble with OS4!!
erk

NightWalker

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:33:16 pm

erk wrote:I have just received this in the post thanks,but when I try to install it, it does not see the WinXP already on the hard disc.
Why?
I didn't have this trouble with OS4!!
erk

There is a rare issue with Zorin OS 5 that after installation it fails to recognize any other operating systems that you may have on your computer and doesn’t list them in the boot up menu (GRUB). We have created a bug fix for this issue which can be downloaded here. To fix the issue extract the “grub-fix.zip” http://zorin-os.com/bug-fix/grub-fix.zip Then double click on the extracted file and run it in terminal mode. It should prompt you for a password and then it will run the fix. Changes will be applied after a system restart.

erk

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:13:26 pm

The problem is during install,not after!
During install it says cannot see any operating system,and it gives me two choices,so i just quit the install.

NightWalker

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:15:58 pm

erk wrote:The problem is during install,not after!
During install it says cannot see any operating system,and it gives me two choices,so i just quit the install.

ohh ok,well hope that someone from this forum can help you.

smittysmit

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:52:53 pm

In any event, make sure you do a full backup of ALL important data on the XP drive. This should apply to all dual boot installs.

As far as desktops, try using an old HD (if available) and use the entire drive (make sure there is nothing of value on the new drive). This is what I do but remember to disconnect the cable from the XP when installing Zorin. This prevents any possible mistakes erasing the XP drive.

erk

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:18:37 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Have you tried installing manually? You may still get a problem and there is a manual work around but I asked for an updated version to download and Zorin Support team obliged - email the team and ask if they burnt the wrong .iso!

1)I don't know how to install manually!
2)What is the email for the team?
thanks
erk

erk

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:26:12 am

smittysmit wrote:In any event, make sure you do a full backup of ALL important data on the XP drive. This should apply to all dual boot installs.

As far as desktops, try using an old HD (if available) and use the entire drive (make sure there is nothing of value on the new drive). This is what I do but remember to disconnect the cable from the XP when installing Zorin. This prevents any possible mistakes erasing the XP drive.

Thanks.
That is quite fiddly for me to do.I just want a simple dual boot installation on this desktop.I used to have Zorin OS4 on exactly the same setup.That installed and ran for a while without problems.
erk