This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Stalled Install

Crumpy

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54:56 am

Hi, folks. Linux n00b extraordinaire, here, so do pardon any missteps or oversights on my part. :?

I'm attempting to install OS 5 Core (x64 version, in case it matters), and can get up to the point in the process where the installer suggests I have the required hard disk space, am connected to power, and am connected to the internet. Checks across the board, there. I click "Forward" to continue and... nothing. An eternity of the 'working' mouse cursor. The whole process just stalls out.

I've tried both x86 and x64 versions. I've made sure I'm not working with a corrupted image. I downloaded using Firefox. I've tried installing via USB and DVD. Everything produces the same result. I've given the process plenty of time to work, just to be sure, but I thought unlikely that the issue would spontaneously resolve itself after a nearly two hour wait.

Am I facing general incompatibility, somehow? Perhaps there are BIOS settings to muck about with? An alternate image file, maybe?

LoneWolf

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:02:48 pm

Have you tried to install directly from the boot menu? I've had problems trying to install from with in the live version but if I choose the install option on the boot menu it seems to work better.

Hope this helps

Crumpy

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:16:07 pm

LoneWolf wrote:Have you tried to install directly from the boot menu? I've had problems trying to install from with in the live version but if I choose the install option on the boot menu it seems to work better.

I have. I've tried installation both from live and straight from the boot menu. Exact same results, frustratingly enough. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

swarfendor437 wrote:I posted a YouTube video of manual installing ZorinOS 4 alongside Windows XP and 7: http://www.youtube.com/user/swarfendor4 ... Rimk8-UGvw
So there should not be that much difference. However, there has been an issue on GRUB not picking up other OSes installed so you might like to try and install the Fix from the Blog section of the main OS Site. Have you followed other guidelines before installing? i.e., Chkdsk on all partitions and Defrag? Resize of Windows? (See my Howto and Tutorial guide on how to successfully install GNU/Linux alongside Windows - applies to all distros, not just this one.

I've been (hopefully) simplifying the entire process -- I'm attempting to entirely replace my Win7 installation with Zorin. That should eliminate a lot of partitioning, partition resizing, defragging, bootloader setup, etc. As it stands, I'm working solely with the live media and an entirely wiped hard drive. No other OSes or data to speak of. Since the process wasn't working, a few of the measures I tried included reformatting and reinstalling Win7 (to see if something was hanging things up in that regard), reformatting again and starting with a single, clean partition, and then wiping all partitions from the HDD (doesn't get much cleaner than that). Unfortunately, not only does none of this seem to affect any change, it also renders a lot of potentially helpful troubleshooting steps moot.

I HAVE run chkdsk. No errors to speak of, no surface problems detected, nothing. Should I give up and go with OS 4? Would I be able to update to OS 5 from OS 4?

Crumpy

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39:20 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Can I ask if you are installing to a PC or Laptop?

Laptop. Asus U81A-RX05, in case it matters.

swarfendor437 wrote:As for 4 to 5 I think someone said it is possible using GRUB but don't quote me on that one. I have usually done a fresh install. I would boot live and choose manual installation as per my YouTube vid - if that does not work then it's over to Zorink!

Ugh. I was hoping to avoid the manual install, but I'll give that a shot. Thanks!