This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] stalled ACER 522 win7 netbook install

Billy

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32:28 pm

I have tried to install os5 and os5 lite from a usb stick and usb\cd. Direct and from live. The cursor and machine freeze up after clicking the second screen forward.
GParted also froze when I tried to make an unallocated partition from live. Both systems work fine on desktops that I tested.

I would like to get the lite running on the netbook. It really needs some speed. Lite seems to run great on an ancient desktop that I have. I would like to keep the win7 just because it came with the machine and its fairly new.

Any ideas?

Kelroth

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:47:52 am

safe graphics mode?

Billy

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:42:48 am

No, I didn't try the safe graphics mode. The display was working fine. The machine just froze.

I'm thinking that there are too many primary partitions. I will have to find out what is a primary. Win7 has 3 partitions on the drive.

Billy

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:44:00 pm

I got the install to work by setting to replace win7. Make sure you make and have a good Acer recovery stick or DVD's. Windows repair disk will not replace your win7 if you wipe it out.

OS 5 lite runs a lot faster. Sound does not work. No time to sort it out yet.

Billy

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29:37 pm

Well it worked fine for a while but started to get freezups on the wireless startup after I used ethernet once. It would work again on ethernet a few times but soon became unusable. I reloaded win7 ok but it is really slow on updates.

I put on OS 5 32 and it worked very well for a day or two then froze up.
Next I loaded OS 5.1. It would only load in direct with ethernet. It is even worse, freezing after a few menu selections. It seems to be just this machine. I have OS 5 and lite running on desktops no problem.

Obsidian1723

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:40:24 pm

Billy wrote:Well it worked fine for a while but started to get freezups on the wireless startup after I used ethernet once. It would work again on ethernet a few times but soon became unusable. I reloaded win7 ok but it is really slow on updates.

I put on OS 5 32 and it worked very well for a day or two then froze up.
Next I loaded OS 5.1. It would only load in direct with ethernet. It is even worse, freezing after a few menu selections. It seems to be just this machine. I have OS 5 and lite running on desktops no problem.

Try Zorin OS Core 3.1 which is based on Ubuntu 10.04LTS (32-bit). Let us know how that goes.

Billy

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44:40 pm

I got the OS 3.1 installed ok but it doesn't detect wired or wireless networks.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:08:59 pm

Hi Billy,

you need to let us know what WiFi device you have!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

gvhools

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:35:06 pm

Hello Billy,
you need to let us know what WiFi device you have!!.

correct !!! :D

check this:
Code:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

Billy

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:55:45 pm

Thanks, I did have the Cat5 plugged in from the router.

From the live OS 3.1the command shows;
Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127:0:0:1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: : : 1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
followed by zero parameters for the test.

I reinstalled the OS 3.1to run from Hdrive and it shows the same but it didn't connect either.

From live OS 5 it shows;

eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 1c:75:08:b1:9a:bc
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
etc; Interrupt:41

lo same as above from OS 3.1

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 4c:0f:6e:0f:39:75
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
etc;

All these were run with no connection active. Trying to connect causes a freeze.
Win7 device manager shows;
Atheros AR8152/8158 Eternet Controller(NDIS 6.02)
Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
Does this help?

Billy

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:17:10 pm

thanks for sending a reply.
I stuck in a few wireless usb adapters and they connect but will not transfer data. The green panel icon shows one bar and connection info is ghosted. The ethernet is still ignored. I loaded the drivers on another machine with synaptic p/mgr, copying them off is denied from /B43. It seems that OS 3.1 is not enabling any network on this machine. The other versions could connect but froze. It seems that some command or address is stuck on a dead end..?
If I could load the drivers from a usb drive from another machine it might fix it.

Billy

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:28:35 pm

By the way, Win7 shows the wireless is on PCI bus 7, device 0, function 0

Billy

Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:44:08 am

Thanks for the tip. I was able to install OS 4 64bit (by mistake) beside Win7. I had to use a usb wireless and an external monitor since the GnoMenu came up mostly off the screen and couldn't be used. After the update and Broadcom and Ati driver install everything seems to work. There is a ghosted "ATI hardware not supported" icon in the corner but the display works. The video is AMD Radeon 6250.

I must done about 40 installs to get this to work. Thanks again.

Billy

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:04:04 am

I reinstalled to OS 4 32bit. The update to Ub 11.4 took all afternoon but the Radeon driver seems to be really working right now. The OS seems rock solid. How can I get the x-executable app to run?

Billy

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:06:53 pm

I was wondering if I should have updated 11.04. The update came up the first time I booted. I seems to run fine with the drivers installed.

I was confused. The application/x-executable files run when you double click or right click and open. Like windows. I use it to start minitube 1.5 which seems to be a patch to make the 1.3 run properly. My desktop machine with OS 5 has this in place but I haven't found where to turn it on or install it yet on OS 4. The OS 4 puts up a message like "No application installed for executable files" I don't know what provides this function. It might be like a shell for the command operator..?

Thanks

Billy

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:29:17 am

Cool! That is what was needed. The machine is still working fine so far. I suspect that the lack of correct drivers was the cause of the freezes.

Thanks again.