This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing with usb fails

lithium

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:45:45 pm

Hi everyone,
because my windows crashes all the time I need to install zorin fast to secure my files, I have experience with ubuntu but my new laptop came with windows 7 and it was easy for the schools network so thats why i didn't change it before.
I have no empty dvd's left only had a 2gb usb, i've folowed directions, downloaded the program on the site and the iso file for the full version(free). It puts everything on the usb and when i boot the usb i get the splash screen to work.
After that however there are a lot of things that run by my screen reaaaally fast for like 1minute and then it says stuff like this and that not found, error here and there.. almost everything is not found ;)
I downloaded again and again and it's always the same thing.
I've also tried to run it with "magic iso" but it won't even boot with that program.
My hands are tied here I need to install it quick before my lapop crashes permanently and I have no acces to empty dvd's (and i dont think it would change much since its the iso file thats broke i guess..)
Is there something wrong with the file? can i download it anywhere else safely?? I dont want to install ubuntu because I like the look of zorin and would love to install zorin right away and delete windows..
grtz

2Stoned

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:34:56 pm

May i ask you how you created the live usb, did you just copy the iso file to the usb stick? Is the USB in FAT format?
If you could be more specific i could help you out with this since i have been installing alot of various Linux distros with usb on laptop's and PC's of friends etc..

gr

Wolfman

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:10:37 am

I would use gparted (partedmagic) CD and create your partitions first, then you can call up the installer and select something else and then point it to your newly created partitions.
If you can boot from a cd/dvd, (an external usb drive would work too!!) then burn a disk but at the slowest possible speed so it doesn't give any write errors!!. A 2GB usb drive is not really enough for you!!.

Regards Wolfman

lithium

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:55:33 am

2Stoned wrote:May i ask you how you created the live usb, did you just copy the iso file to the usb stick? Is the USB in FAT format?
If you could be more specific i could help you out with this since i have been installing alot of various Linux distros with usb on laptop's and PC's of friends etc..

gr

Hi, I used that program(forgot name) that's in the usb installation guide for zorin.. So it made a bootable usb. Usb is in FAT yes, didn't think of that. I've also installed alot of linux distro's in the past but always with a dvd.
Anyhow, my laptop is completely broke right now, the adaptor doesnt fit in the adaptor port anymore so I can't install zorin now untill that's fixed(or I buy a new laptop), I had to borrow a friends laptop for a while..
But still any tips are welcome i'm gonna buy dvd's soon but it's always helpfull for the future to know what i did wrong.

lithium

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56:39 am

Wolfman wrote:I would use gparted (partedmagic) CD and create your partitions first, then you can call up the installer and select something else and then point it to your newly created partitions.
If you can boot from a cd/dvd, (an external usb drive would work too!!) then burn a disk but at the slowest possible speed so it doesn't give any write errors!!. A 2GB usb drive is not really enough for you!!.

Regards Wolfman

Thanks for the info I'll try it this way next time :)

2Stoned

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:03:46 am

@ Lithium

I cannot say for sure what you did wrong, but i guess you did not made a good boot-able live usb wich may explain the errors you had before. Like Wolfman said you should use more then 2g (FAT32) especially when you want to run the live usb in persistant mode! I use 8g (FAT32) for live usb. But there could be problem's detecting the hardware as well? USB could be damaged?

Anyway, this way you will be sure the live usb is successful;

1.Lili Is very easy for the eye and to use!
2.Another way, easy as well not really a nice GUI.
3.And yet another way.

Gparted is a great tool to manually edit/create/delete partitions. When you run the live usb you can open the Gparted tool and edit the HDD if needed when you are about to install. Hope this helps :geek:

gr