This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Persistent for USB

mattwall

Tue May 31, 2011 1:43:23 pm

Hello, is there a way to install Zorin (4 or 5) on USB such that it is persistent? I've tried to use the core iso's with various linux-usb installers with an option for persistent drives, but they've given me no option to add space for persistence on the drive - and thus making the Zorin installation "live only". Just wondering if Zorin wasn't created to be persistant on USB, or if there's a step I'm missing. Thanks for you help in advance!

w2310b

Tue May 31, 2011 1:57:49 pm

Hi Mattwall,

I haven't made a live USB in a while (I find them unreliable unfortunately), but near the end of making them I tried this software: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

If you haven't tried it already, after you install it I believe there is an option to add space so you can store data / files / settings and hence make it persistent.

mattwall

Tue May 31, 2011 7:42:03 pm

Thanks w2310b for the reply!

I've actually used linuxliveusb.com and after selecting the Zorin OS 4 (and then 5) iso's, the menu clears the option for persistent drive allocation size, and displays the text "Live Only". This makes me think that there is something with the way Zorin is written that doesn't allow it to be made persistent - or the software that I've tried (both li-li (linux live) and "Universal USB Installer") don't recognize Zorin (in fact, they don't even list it). Is there any possible way to make Zorin "persistent-able" otherwise?

mattwall

Tue May 31, 2011 11:07:25 pm

I've started a new topic under the same name in the "Feedback" group. Thank you.