Help me install Z5 Core in existing ntfs partition

Help me install Z5 Core in existing ntfs partition

Postby ElectricRider » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:11 pm

I have installed many Linux systems before and they all had an option to install to either the entire hard drive or another existing primary partition. After i would choose the option to install on an existing primary partition, it would suggest default sizes for a root(slice), a swap file(slice) and a Home (Slice) or what have you... It would then use the partition i told it to use and re-format it setting up those 3 "slices" for me using defaults. I have never had to manually set up a swap file and the rest of the slices.

This is what i hate about your installer. You want to make it easy on windows people.. dont use this installer. Use one like the easy ones I suggest above.

I have made a primary partition of 13 gigabytes and formatted it with ntsf. (I know Zorin will re-format this with ext4) In the installer I cannot choose use entire drive.. i have to choose the custom mode to select this partition, but after i select the partition it still asked me to set up a swap file. I have no idea how to do this because your installer does not suggest defaults or gives me any instructions. many installers will have help files built in to walk you through stuff like this. your's does not.

I wanted to be able to get this running and test it on my hardware before i purchase your ultimate version. Please help.
ElectricRider

Re: Help me install Z5 Core in existing ntfs partition

Postby Wolfman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi ER,

when using the installer, use the manual setting "something different" and create 3 partitions, 1. / (root partition), 1. /home (home partition) and 1 swap (there is no mount point for swap).

Swap should be double the size of your RAM if you have an old PC, if you have a new PC with 4GB of RAM or more, then swap can be the same size as your RAM. That said, if you have 4GB RAM or more; then swap is not really necessary and you can proceed despite the warning about having no swap set!. (IMO!). (others may disagree!)

You can also use the "select free space method but if it picks up the wrong partition, you could end up losing stuff!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Here is an info link for you:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/display- ... ual&lang=C

Kindness is something the blind can see and the deaf can hear :)

Preparation and planning prevent poor performance! :)

Free Ubuntu User Manual: https://ubuntu-manual.org/
Wolfman

Postby ElectricRider » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:42 pm

I already have the 13 gig partition i want to use.. let me get this right.. I need to delete it giving me the unallocated space of 13 gigs back. Out of that space I need to make 3 partitions, one for swap ( since I have 4 gigs of ram i will only use 1 gig for swap to give it a little.. i dont want to use a whole 4 gigs with only using 13 gigs to begin with) How big should my root and home partitions be? Do i have to choose a mount point for each?
ElectricRider

Postby Wolfman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:48 pm

6 for root and 6 for home, that way you have some space to install a few extra progs, 1 GB RAM for swap is okay!!.

Yes you do have to create mount points for both!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

Wolfman

Postby ElectricRider » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Thanks.. I'll give it a shot.. wish me luck..

Darn Zorin.. I liked the easier installers of the other linux distros just so I would not have to deal with setting up slices manually.. I liked Zorin so much in a VM that now, I'm going to have to do it.

I curse you Zorin, you made me learn something. :-)
ElectricRider

Postby Wolfman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Good luck, you can read that "how-to" as well and you will learn a lot more!!.

Wolfman

Postby ElectricRider » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:34 pm

O.k. i got a problem.. i believe it installed correctly, although i did get an error on install saying it may not have installed all my documents and settings correctly but it was continuing with the install.. i got to the end where it said i had to reboot the machine..

That isn't the problem...

I do not have an entry in my windows boot loader.. in fact, there might be one but i use easyBCD to dual boot already with win 7 and PC-BSD. I'm supposed to tell an installer not to use Windows MBR to install grub to ( or whatever boot loader Zorin uses) , but tell it to install the boot loader onto the root partition of Zorin - I didn't see that option under where to install the boot loader to. How can I tell it to do that? ( perhaps it's there and i just missed it) I want to reinstall anyway to see if it gets passed that error from above.
ElectricRider

Postby ElectricRider » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:27 pm

O.k. i figured that out.. i can point it to the Root partition.. But when it starts to boot I get a command prompt right away. Help Please ( It uses Grub 2 doesn't it
') Oh.. still got the error about the documents and settings not installing right.

This time i choose not to make a Home partition to make things easier.
ElectricRider

Postby Wolfman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:53 pm

If you are selecting "encrypt home folder" don't!!!!, not a good idea. Are you installing in "safe graphics mode".

Please post your PC's specs thanks!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

Wolfman

Postby ElectricRider » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:24 pm

I was not using the encrypted home option. I did not choose any safe graphics mode for install. I only choose direct install from the boot menu, didn't even load the live CD.

Here are my specs:

Product Number WA980UA#ABA
Microprocessor 2.1GHz AMD Sempron Processor for Notebook PCs M120
Microprocessor Cache 512KB L2 Cache
Memory 2GB ( I use the Max of 4)
Memory Max 4096MB
Video Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Graphics
Video Memory 128MB Display Cache Memory (up to 1022MB total graphics memory )
Hard Drive 250GB (7200RPM)
Multimedia Drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 15.6" Diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1366x768)
Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g/n WLAN
Sound Altec Lansing
ElectricRider

Next

Return to Installation