This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrading to Zorin 5.1

pantabulosin

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:33:41 pm

Hi everyone.

I recently replaced Windows xp with Zorin 5 in my netbook and now that Zorin 5.1 is out I want to try to install that. Are there any pitfalls to avoid so that I can ensure a smooth transition? Zorin 5 is the only OS in that nettop annd I have separate / and /home partitions, so I was thinking I could just replace the / partition. However, I don't know if that would be an option and I don't recall if that was the case the first time I installed Zorin. Any thoughts?

Wolfman

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:45:02 am

Hi,

you should install the new OS directly and when it comes to the part about where to install, select "other" which is last on the options list and manually choose your partitions, you don't have to format your /home partition but you do have to select format your / (root) partition.

Hope this helps you further.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:39:05 am

swarfendor437 wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Hi,

you should install the new OS directly and when it comes to the part about where to install, select "other" which is last on the options list and manually choose your partitions, you don't have to format your /home partition but you do have to select format your / (root) partition.

Hope this helps you further.

If he did an 'auto' install on 5.0 then his /home will be wiped out if he did not manually create a separate /home partition!

What you say is true swarfendor but he did say "I have separate / and /home partitions" in his post and that is why I suggested what I did :D

pantabulosin

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:28:53 pm

Thanks guys, I'll upgrade to Zorin 5.1 over the weekend