This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Installing on Asus X205TA

Jaro

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:56:35 am

HI.
Straight to action.
Got Asus X205TA (FD0065TS) produced in 12.2015, currently running on Windows 10, Version 1703, OS Buid 15063.850.
Processor Intel Atom (Z3735F) 1.33GHz, RAM 2GB.
Operating on 32bit system, x64 based processor.

I download'ed all drivers from Asus, and make step by step with Zorin Install Guide. I check all data with QuickHash and burned ISO with Etcher on USB.
First problem come out, Windows sees pendrive but requires format before exploring, I dont pay attention to this and run out to BIOS, disable UEFI secure Booting, and i saw that BIOS dont see USB stick as well.

So search starts, on Zorin forum there is one dead post, as Zorin is based on Ubuntu i look there as well and it come out that "Because files can't be added if you use tools like DD" BIOS dont see it.
Now i used Rufus to burn image and all looked good, Windows permits to explore files, BIOS see USB but after booting it, come out for 1sec. blue cover file (USB:\isolinux\back.jpg) and all return to BIOS. I try on diffrent BIOS settings, nothing changed.

I try trick with "bootia32.efi", create on USB folders \EFI\BOOT and put file there, and GNU GRUB v.2.00 load normal.

I try on difrent USB pendrives, both versions 32 and 64 of Zorin, and im stuck. HELP^^

mhelfrich

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:53:05 am

Hey Jaro,
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. When I first started trying to play around with Linux on my computer I had trouble as well as Windows 10 likes to have control of the computer so when you try to boot into the device.

I will link below to instruction that explain what helped me get it to work on my computer. They may even be the same instructions. Ironically, I was using Linux Mint at the time. This was before I found Zorin. I would say follow those, just substituting your Zorin ISO for the Mint one. Also, being that you're using an Atom processor, try using Zorin Lite at 32-bit since it was 32-bit that was originally installed. It requires less resources than a full 64-bit OS, which is why ASUS would have done that from the original manufacture of the computer.

Let me know how it goes.

Link to Instructions: https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bo ... sb-2202084

Mark

Jaro

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:16:56 pm

Hi mhelfrich,

Creating image with Win32 Disk Imager have same results like with other DD writers, currently only Rufus works good.
After bringing back my Asus Eeebook to factory settings as it was when new, and cleaning from all apps, deleting all data it gives only +/-10Gb free space,
so i decided to run command control panel and say good bye by format C: and after second of thinking kicking out BitLocker and all what remain simply by
diskpart>list disk>select disk0>list partition>
as recovery partition(4) holds all and dont want to let it go i decided to make next steps by
clean>create partition primary>select partition 1>active>format fs=FAT32>assign>exit
Now as u know i got only BIOS^^. I uploaded new version of it.
Aaahh and GNU GRUB 2.0 but im noob with it.
Im thinking what diffrent BIOS can work and if it helps if processor is 64based...
Still fighting. learning Grub, reading etc.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:32:46 pm

Can you run Zorin in 'live' mode at all? Would be useful if you could boot to that to run GParted so we can see how many partitions are present, including hidden ones. If there is any reference to 'fast boot' in the BIOS, disable that too. ;) :D

Jaro

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02:40 pm

Nope cant run Zorin at all. Netbook is now practically empty. I run Grub from USB, and digging in it

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:14:18 pm

Are you replying from a different computer? Can you download and run Gparted Live?

https://gparted.org/livecd.php

Jaro

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:48:39 pm

yes from another computer. Ok i will try Gparted, but give me some time to reply. food break^^

Jaro

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:41:45 pm

Gparted running, what next?

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:02:41 pm

OK, try using the key combo of Shift+ PrtSc if your notebook has it and save the output to a flash drive and post back here. ;) :D

Jaro

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11:59 pm

partition:
/dev/mmcblk1pl
fat32

I try to boot image of mint, and win XP, no successful.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46:06 pm

Hi, this is quite a complicated guide and is aimed at installing Ubuntu 16.04 on which Zorin is based, but I noticed it states to boot into BIOS and turn EHCI off - perhaps that is the stumbling block?:

https://github.com/lopaka/instructions/ ... -x205ta.md

Jaro

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51:00 pm

28312051_10213128197453445_1026427534_o.jpg

Ok so thats what comes out after try to loopback from command in Zorin ISO.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44:28 pm

Apologies for the delay - been taking some time out! Scroll down to the bottom reply on this link:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/17647/t ... -sbin-init

keep us posted. ;) :D

Jaro

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:14:48 pm

I have chat with people from different distros, and it looks that only 2 systems work on this netbook. Win 8/10 and Linux Kali. So I run now Kali

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:42:56 am

OK, will [CLOSE] thread. Thanks for the update. ;)