This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to open a folder as root in GUI?

pcfan5

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26:04 pm

Hello I am using zoring 12.2 lite and I wonder is it posible to do right click and open a folder as "root" in GUI , I cannot do it and it drives me crazy. (same question for zorin core 12.2).
Regards

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35:08 pm

zorinantwerp

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:11:05 am

sometimes the solution is around the corner with Zorin OS Ultimate 12.3 (so upgrade your gear)
to stay in GUI select under menu/files/ open as root
example
+++

pcfan5

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:22:58 pm

Thank you guys!!! you are heavenly!! ;)

Linx

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:21:53 pm

I'm a CLI person myself.

Press the following [ctrl] + [alt] + [T] This should open a terminal window, and you can launch the file explorer as root with the following:
Code:
gksudo nautilus &

You will then be asked for your password, and will then have the program (nautilus in this case) launch as root!
Heads Up: Zorin OS 12, Default file browser is nautilus, not sure off the top of my head if Core is the same, and I doubt that lite is using nautilus.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:12:21 am

Linx wrote:I'm a CLI person myself.

Press the following [ctrl] + [alt] + [T] This should open a terminal window, and you can launch the file explorer as root with the following:
Code:
gksudo nautilus &

You will then be asked for your password, and will then have the program (nautilus in this case) launch as root!
Heads Up: Zorin OS 12, Default file browser is nautilus, not sure off the top of my head if Core is the same, and I doubt that lite is using nautilus.

Correct, Core (12.x) is Nautilus - Lite uses xfce as xubuntu does so should be using Thunar File Manager which can be installed to Core as an alternative to Nautilus which does not have menu, unlike Thunar which does. Alternative is Kommander - as I have posted in the unofficial manual as yet another alternative to Nautilus. Under no circumstances should you remove Nautilus as it is integral to Gnome - remove Nautilus and you can say farewell to your OS.

pcfan5

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58:51 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Linx wrote:I'm a CLI person myself.

Code:
gksudo nautilus &

Correct, Core (12.x) is Nautilus - Lite uses xfce as xubuntu does so should be using Thunar File Manager which can be installed to Core as an alternative to Nautilus which does not have menu, unlike Thunar which does. Alternative is Kommander - as I have posted in the unofficial manual as yet another alternative to Nautilus. Under no circumstances should you remove Nautilus as it is integral to Gnome - remove Nautilus and you can say farewell to your OS.

Thank you very much , I haven't finished reading the manual yet ;) , in Lite I have this "exo-open --launch FileManager %u" I don't know if this means Thunar :roll:

By the way I wasn't able to do what so kindly @zorinantwerp said , I must be missing some step. I am under Zorin 12.3 - Lite, Now.

pcfan5

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:37:45 pm

I now understand that Thunar is my file manager in Lite, I also understand (because I read easily again) that what @zorinatwerp says only applies for Ultimate.
So the solution for my version is
Code:
gksudo Thunar &
8-)

Linx

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:43:02 pm

By our powers combined, may your issues be resolved!

(Please mark your issue as SOLVED)

pcfan5

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:23:14 pm

[quote="Linx"]By our powers combined, may your issues be resolved! :lol:

pcfan5

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:12:09 pm

pcfan5 wrote:I now understand that Thunar is my file manager in Lite, I also understand (because I read easily again) that what @zorinatwerp says only applies for Ultimate.
So the solution for my version is
Code:
gksudo Thunar &
8-)

Hi guys , the option given here is just one time use only. It doesn't keep in the system.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:24:42 pm

gksu is meant to be temporary to maintain 'root' security.

pcfan5

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57:10 pm

oh I see, I would like to have this option by default in thunar or caja.

pcfan5

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:13:22 am

I think I found a permanent solution for Caja. I noticed in it in "Preferences" - "Extensions", there wasn any install , so I went to Synaptic Manager and search for "caja", then installed a couple of extensions, (guiding myself with another Caja already installed in another distro) and installed Caja-Gksu aswell. ;)