This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

update.grub taking more then 2 hours on install.

Tomle64

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:08:33 pm

Hi,

I'm having issues installing zorin on a 13 inch acer swift1 (sf113-31-p5ck).

Been trying to dip my hand in linux on a secondary machine before I try and use it as a main os instead of windows. Unfortunately, I have not been able to install it.

I follow the instructions for installation, and when the installer reaches update.grub it hangs on the operation. I've let it go for about almost 3 hours to no luck.

I've re-downloaded the iso about 3 times on different usbs and machines.

I also tried installing in the live version, and make my own partitions on the something else gui.

Also for some reason it was able to use the track pad in the installer but stopped working in later isos.

Plz help, Tomle64

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:39:07 am

Hi, Can you confirm which version of Zorin you are trying to install and a possible link to your machine's specification from the Acer website? ;) :D

Tomle64

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09:48 am

I'm installing the latest version, 12.4.

It looks like they took down my laptop from acer's site, but its a pentium N4200. I got it through Walmart, they still have it up

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Swift-1 ... /184804525

Its the 64 bit ver. and im pretty sure its in uefi boot mode. It could be maybe the kernel?

I'm 99% my soldiered ssd is fine, I was running windows just fine, and it boots to a terminal if i stop it from installing.

I also left the laptop installing for a whole day with no luck.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58:18 am

Ok, having looked at the specs of your Notebook you only have 64 Gb Hard Drive and Windows on average uses about 40 Gb? (Not checked on the Win 10 I have on an old drive I put in the hot bay. You would be better off buying an external hdd and install Zorin to that but you would need to preferably disable the SSD in the notebook via the BIOS and switch off UEFI if possible - as the notebook was specifically built for Windows 10 that option might not be present. Don't get me wrong, apparently Zorin can support UEFI but I only have old kit and have avoided getting SSD drives as in GNU/Linux you have to setup TRIM which Windows does automatically. Sorry I can't help further. ;) :(