This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Worried about redirect in chrome

callygan61

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:32:27 am

Hi I need some advice help or guidance; I am not computer savvy beyond the basics but have been using Zorin as a much better alternative to windows for several trouble free years currently 12.4. However two weeks ago while logging onto my bank I was redirected to browshappy with a message saying my browser was not recognized and needed to update I’m using Google chrome that came with the Zorin package. Phoned my bank who didn't have a clue; while on the phone I attempted to log in again to be told that I had logged in ok bit of a panic so left the site set up Fire fox logged in again no problem again tried google same redirect appeared. After doing much googling did not find a solution so I decided to download a fresh copy of 12.4 backed up my files to a separate drive and did a total fresh install with a drive format. Opened the new install and without replacing my backed up files or logging into my google account tried my bank again and the same redirect to Browshappy popped up as soon as I entered my security login. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or how to get rid of it; currently just using firefox without problem
but a bit worried that this thing only appears when I have logged in; any advice would be most appreciated thanks
callygan61

zorinantwerp

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49:12 am

Hi
Most probably it's a malicious extension.
Sometimes when you install software, the installer installs extensions to your browsers along with it. If you have recently installed a software from an untrusted site, it could have installed this extension on your browser.

Check out in your chrome://extensions/ and delete unwanted extensions. Use spam blockers like AdBlock. Clear browsing data

Check out based on above :)

callygan61

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06:57 am

Thanks for your reply I thought doing a total new install would have got rid of anything in my system the only thing i have installed is the zorin package; however will follow your advice and have a look
Many thanks

zorinantwerp

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:14:58 pm

callygan61 wrote:Thanks for your reply I thought doing a total new install would have got rid of anything in my system the only thing i have installed is the zorin package; however will follow your advice and have a look
Many thanks

well doing a fresh install clears all rubbish. I follow that procedure frequently

good luck :)

callygan61

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:03:51 pm

Hi i think i may have confused you I have already done a fresh install following the problem beginning but it continues to happen; I tried to log on before I even restored my personal files etc from my back up in case something was in them I also didn't log into my google account just used the system totally fresh from the install and I was redirected. I checked the extensions in chrome the only one is Gnome I assume that's always been there as part of the package
Cheers

Finston Pickle

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:24:13 pm

Callygan61 - Take a look at my thread from when I had similar chromium based issues with slimjet - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13392

Also my thread on ClamTK use - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13405

- and my Slimjet thread - https://www.slimjet.com/en/forum/viewto ... f=5&t=1618

I did find and remove some suspicious elements in the end and went over to a different browser - Firefox - no problems since.

Good luck!!

zorinantwerp

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51:51 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:I did find and remove some suspicious elements in the end and went over to a different browser - Firefox - no problems since.

Thanks Finston - much appreciated :)

callygan61

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:11:45 pm

Thanks guys will have a go tomorrow but probably will abandon chrome if its too complicated been using Firefox for a few days finding it quite good
Cheers

zorinantwerp

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13:23 am

Hi

(just in case) check your version 'Version 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Zorin 12 (64-bit)'
more
Code:
https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2018/12/stable-channel-update-for-desktop.html

+++