This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

4k Monitor loses signal. Triggered by different events

cme

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:48:37 pm

Been using Zorin for 2+ years and very happy with it.
Recently though I ran into an issue that I can not solve: on different occasions the Monitor suddenly reports no signal and turns blank.
I can trigger this behaviour reliably in following situations:
  • on boot up, immediately after logging on
  • When playing / streaming media in browser
  • when toggling audio output device
In addition to that it also happens quite often just erratically.

To recover I have to turn off the monitor and turn it on again, sometimes repeatedly.
I have tried all possible Monitor settings, better quality HDMI cables, using different HDMI ports on the monitor (there is only one on PC side capable of 4k).
Also a fresh Zorin install, to no avail.

This is a dual boot machine. On Windows 10 I have not experienced this issue.

I noticed that some time ago, there was a bug hindering to play audio through HDMI. This has obviously been addressed recently as I discovered it to work now.
But it could also be the cause of the problem as the additional traffic on the cable is perhaps inducing the signal loss?

The 4k monitor is actually a 40" TV. PC is Z170 Chipset w/Pentium, 16GB RAM.

Has anyone an idea how this could be tackled as it is rendering my setup almost unusable. Thanks!

zorinantwerp

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:23:17 pm

Hi

noted your issues with interest. HDMi cable works/works not so expensive types are a rip off.
which version of Zorin you run and what is the name of your graphic card please.
Under Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) insert

With a fresh release of Zorin to go public this month there may be light at the end of the tunnel :)

cheers

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:24:30 pm

Can you provide us with Graphic Card information? Having searched information on 4K and Ubuntu 16.04 this is what I found:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/788099/ ... u-4k-ready

cme

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:51:21 am

Thanks you for your interest.
(Sorry for the late reply, had to update my e-mail address, as I didn't get notified)
zorinantwerp wrote:which version of Zorin you run and what is the name of your graphic card please.

It is just an IGA, reports as "Intel Corporation Device 5912 (rev 04)"
Running release 12.04 xenial

Besides the reported issue, 4k is otherwise working just awesome on 40" with Zorin and visibly better than on Win10.

New Zorin release sounds good.. this time I might actually buy one :)

cme

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:56:49 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Having searched information on 4K and Ubuntu 16.04 this is what I found:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/788099/ ... u-4k-ready

Hi, thanks for the info / link.
Will be interesting to see how the new Zorin Version will handle 4k.

IGA is "Intel Corporation Device 5912 (rev 04)" on OS 12.04
(It is a completely silent PC - no fans at all :) )

zorinantwerp

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:38:16 am

Hi
if you want you may experiment to turn on your intel graphic cards (if a suitable driver is found)
Code:
https://www.techzim.co.zw/2017/06/tuning-intel-graphics-card-ubuntu-16-04/

I would await the new Zorin release and the 'core' edition is free :)

cme

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44:25 am

zorinantwerp wrote:I would await the new Zorin release and the 'core' edition is free :)

Hi, I've actually been looking for the beta to play around with a bit but could not find it anywhere.
Not much left of January.. so I am very much looking forward to the new release.