This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Unistalled wine and now zorin isnt working correctly

Intergral

Wed May 22, 2019 6:38:29 pm

I was having trouble with wine (basically wasnt responding) thought i would reinstall wine but after uninstalling i think i made the mistake of rebooting the pc because now zorin doesnt work correctly. Issues i came across so far

On the login screen i had to change the theme? from system default to zorin desktop to login. It seems the main font aswell as some software has disappeared? and while i was searching for a solution the network software stopped working (no access to wired or wifi) also the software center is gone.

i used the sudo apt get purge wine to remove but i also used this

sudo apt autoremove wine-devel wine-devel-amd64 wine-devel-i386 winehq-devel winetricks

and this probably is what screwed it up didnt take a properly look but i saw a font was listed as one of the things that was removed so im guessing that some of the things listed during removal were important files that are shared between more than one piece of software.
is there anyway i can go about repairing this? im trying to get the network-manger applet to work again so i can reinstall wine and go from there .only other idea i got is to try and replicate the uninstall just to make a list of what was removed and reinstall.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 22, 2019 7:30:01 pm

Hi, Which version of Zorin please, 12 or 15? ;)

Intergral

Thu May 23, 2019 6:30:47 am

12.4 64 bit

Swarfendor437

Thu May 23, 2019 11:56:32 am

Hi, You need to be extremely cautious, in particular with the 'autoremove' command because so much stuff is embedded in the system it can basically make it unusable. If you created a separate partition for '/home' it should be possible for you to just reinstall the system, but remember not to format '/home' just label it as '/home' when creating the new partition table - for this to work you need to do the 'something else' method'. If you allowed Zorin to do an auto installation without any intervention I would boot from Live media and backup your /home folder - remember to use Ctrl+ H to see hidden files which includes application settings. ;) :D

Intergral

Thu May 23, 2019 5:03:44 pm

problem with that is i dont have a spare drive , might be possible but it could be tricky. if i copy over the whole home folder over to a fresh install , would i have to reinstall all my software?

Swarfendor437

Thu May 23, 2019 8:25:32 pm

You would have to have a separate partition with your /home folder already setup like this to work. If you added software after installation you would need to reinstall new software that did not come on the DVD. How much size wise is your /home folder?