This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Gimp crashes

TwoCanes

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:18:07 pm

Hi all.

I've been using the same MOBO and GPU for 4 years. I have a ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
with a GEForce Windforce GTX 970 graphics card, which I see nobody sells anymore (wonder why).

Running Zorin OS 15 Ultimate which uses latest Nvidia drivers AFAIK.

Gimp has crashed on two different images THREE times in 30 minutes, requiring power cycle reboot. :evil:

Gimp *never* crashed on this system when running Ubuntu OS 12-19.

What is happening here?

I'm also getting other crashes since installing Zorin Ultimate that make me think the Nvidia drivers are
causing problems with my graphics board. It will be frozen in the morning, or it will crash while working
on a cloud project that uses a graphical interface.

Can't really afford new hardware, so ANY help would be appreciated, even if it is a suggestion about
buying a particular GPU. ;)

Thanks,
-Kevin

Aravisian

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:02:54 am

TwoCanes, you can always revert back to Nvidia drivers for free;have you tried changing graphics drivers to a stable alternative version?

Nouveau or Xorg?

MBMz10

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:44:06 am

I see the Software Manager has two versions 2.10.8 which is installed on my Zorin 15 and 2.10.12 Stable, maybe try the other version? What version was on your ubuntu 12-19
I had similar issue with kdenlive and used a flatpack to fix. Try here: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

The 'other crashes' tend to make me think it is something else, like your graphic drivers as Aravisian has noted. Your problems started when Zorin arrived...

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:57:42 am

Because of issues I had with old graphics card I bought a new one but I don't use nvidia proprietary drivers period - I find I have a much better experience with Nouveau so when installing I don't check the box about installing drivers. If you need a card that meets minimum requirements for the latest nvidia drivers I got help on another forum that stated that nvidia 730 cards were the minimum spec supported. I opted for an nvidia 1030 model for semi-future-proofing.
;) :D