This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to uninstall pre-installed (and post-install) apps?

AvgWinNoob

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:33:24 am

Before we go any further.. I am the Win2Lin noob!

I want to tidy up my menus by removing things I won't use.
I also want to practice installing and re-installing a few programs.. this will help me get my head around using Zorin and how the procedure works.

Let's say for example I have no need for some programs that come pre-installed... *eg: Pitivi (video editor), GIMP (equiv of Photoshop), Geary (whatever that is for?)

How do I uninstall:
i) Programs that come pre-installed
ii) Programs that I have downloaded and installed myself

*note: GIMP will deffo be going back on, that's one I recognise!

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:07:01 pm

Hi,

The easiest way is to use Software Channel, but it is by no means perfect. The fact that you mentioned Geary, suggest you are using Zorin 12 - that is one App I would definitely remove - reminds me too much of Outlook 365! Yuk! Neither Zorin 12 or 15 come with Synaptic Package Manager - this is my preferred method of installing and uninstalling applications. So go to Software (Channel) and install Synaptic. When you launch you will be asked for your login password. Next search for the app you want to remove - it should return with a square to the left of it in solid green. Right-click the square and mark for removal. If you have any emails that installed with Geary, don't select 'Complete removal' as that will also likely remove any data created in hidden folders (identified as '.' dot folders/files) which you view by pressing Ctrl+ H to view/hide. After you have selected the App for removal, click on Apply on the menu bar. Then to reinstall, search for the app in Synaptic, mark the square for installation, then click on Apply.

Job/s done. ;) :D

AvgWinNoob

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:37:39 pm

Yep.. using Zorin Lite (12)
Had a mess about last night.. borked the install... re-installed and ran the software updates this time... lol
Thanks for reply... am getting a much better idea of things..

Am really liking this... so simple.... is fantastic for someone leaving Windows and getting onboard with Linux! :-)

Aravisian

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:26:54 pm

AvgWinNoob wrote:Yep.. using Zorin Lite (12)
Had a mess about last night.. borked the install... re-installed and ran the software updates this time... lol
Thanks for reply... am getting a much better idea of things..

Am really liking this... so simple.... is fantastic for someone leaving Windows and getting onboard with Linux! :-)

When uninstalling, please be sure to check what it is taking with it before running the uninstall!
For example, if you try to uninstall Thunar from 12.4 Lite, it will try to take the entire Zorin Lite Desktop Environment with it.
Generally, I just use the terminal with
Code:
sudo apt-get remove <program-name>

or
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge <program-name>
if you want to remove the configuration files, as well.
Using Synaptic as Swarfendor suggested is, of course, a great way to go.

Zorin 12.4 Lite uses the XFCE Desktop Environment. For the XFCE4-panel Menu, you can use either Alacarte or Menulibre (Menulibre comes with it) to edit the menu.
Personally, I think Alacarte works better. You can install it with
Code:
sudo apt-get install alacarte

On Zorin, you will need to run alacarte either from the Application Finder (pressing alt+F or selecting it from the menu) or from terminal simply by typing in "alacarte."
Once it is running, you need to examine it and get a feel for it but it is pretty easy. Select the catagory that the item is in, then select the item and select "Delete." You must then "Save" that action.

AvgWinNoob

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:36:41 am

When I say uninstall I really mean uninstall.. as in re-format the disk.. :-D
This way I get to learn more each time... with Windows I have found it is quicker to nuke the disk and start again rather than chase problems around the system (and even then you're not sure about stability)
It only takes about 20mins anyway.. (1 cup of tea and 2 ciggies) to get a new Zorin install up and running from scratch...

As always, thanks for reply.... all info/tips are being noted in my personal 'How To...'

In comparison to getting Win98/XP to work with a modem (those were the days.. aaarghhh!!)... this is easy! :-D

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:58:02 pm

AvgWinNoob wrote:When I say uninstall I really mean uninstall.. as in re-format the disk.. :-D
This way I get to learn more each time... with Windows I have found it is quicker to nuke the disk and start again rather than chase problems around the system (and even then you're not sure about stability)
It only takes about 20mins anyway.. (1 cup of tea and 2 ciggies) to get a new Zorin install up and running from scratch...

As always, thanks for reply.... all info/tips are being noted in my personal 'How To...'

In comparison to getting Win98/XP to work with a modem (those were the days.. aaarghhh!!)... this is easy! :-D

That was not in your original post and is technically need of a separate thread. My advice is to download the unofficial manual I wrote here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13891 - still some work to do on it.

And also see my post here - which would be quicker than 20 minutes (hopefully) - I would advise that when you do install that you use the something else method. My only other comments are that I would now revise the size of '/' to be 50 Gb as I had an issue with FerenOS recently when 30 Gb was running out of space - I made some space by deleting Wine and any Windows apps that may have been installed.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14472#p63840

The only other point to mention is that you would need to setup your email accounts again and also drivers for peripheral devices such as printer/scanner driver. I always use Canon as they have GNU/Linux drivers for their hardware.

For the quickest method of reinstall use 'redobackup' to create an image of your entire system once you have it how you like and then boot off the redobackup CD and restore your image - simples!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/redobackup/files/ :D

AvgWinNoob

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:18:01 am

^^misunderstanding....
All my important stuff is on a separate disk...
This way if anything goes wrong with O/S... I just nuke it and reinstall from scratch. Lessons learned from using Windows and numerous data-recovery exercises for friends and family.... :lol:

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:42:33 pm

That being the case, like I said, just use redobackup - it is SOOOO easy! :D