This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] rolling release

houndhen

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:52:24 pm

I have been searching the internet but can't find the definitive answer.

Is Zorin 5 32 bit a rolling release or not?

I have installed it thinking that it was a rolling release and really like it.

Thanks,
Harold

Obsidian1723

Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:53:01 am

If you seek a true (and somewhat stable) rolling release, look into CentOS.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:13:12 am

PCLinuxOS is a very good rolling release.

I hope that Ubuntu finally get rid of their twice yearly update and opt for a rolling release OS, I for one am fed up re-installing every six months!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

houndhen

Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18:23 pm

Obsidian1723 wrote:If you seek a true (and somewhat stable) rolling release, look into CentOS.
Don't you have to compile everything in CentOS?
I am like a lot of Linux users (IMO) that had much rather use the gui than the CL. I can't remember the commands or get much out of man pages. I use the CL a little but at the same time I realize that it wields a lot of power. I just like a distro that works without having to tweak it from the CL. Ubuntu and its many derivatives do that most of the time. I too, don't like the 6 month release cycle of Ubuntu. To me it would be much better for Linux in general to get the bugs worked out of a release and then build on that. Just my 2 cents.

Harold

houndhen

Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:23:50 pm

Wolfman wrote:PCLinuxOS is a very good rolling release. Regards Wolfman:)
PCLOS 2007 was the first Linux distro that I installed to a HD. Lately, it seems that the repositories change too often to suit me and I have to go digging in the PCLOS web sites to find the correct sources.list. How much trouble would it be to code into an update to re-do the sources.list? Again, my 2 cnts.

Harold