This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

mounting network drives

cheetah

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55:04 pm

Hello all,

I bought Zorin OS the ultimate edition and i love it, :D the only thing is i know how to mount the network drives through the mnt folder using samba but is there a way to take the folders i mount in mnt folder in the files system and make them appear when you click on computer with out mounting the drive every time the pc re-starts? i don't care if i don't have a desktop icon for the folder like you get when mounting a network folder since i like to keep the desktop with as little icons as i can.

thanks for your help and reading my post
Cheetah 8-)

Wolfman

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:08:26 am

Maybe this is what you are after:

http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesambacifs.html

Please don't write in red, it is blinding and should only be used to highlight something, thanks!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

cheetah

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:04:48 pm

Code:
#you need to instsll smbfs
sudo apt-get install smbfs

#need to make the directory
sudo mkdir /mnt/<folder>

#edit the fstab at the end add a line like
sudo gedit /etc/fstab

#mount <folder>
//<server>/<folder> /mnt/<folder>/ cifs  guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode  0  0

#then run the comand
sudo mount -a

this is what I use to mount network drives and i knowin ubuntu I can go into the files and make a book mark to it or in zorin I can drag the folder to the side bar and have it show under personal but I was wondering if there was a way to also move it under computer like the cd/dvd drive, floppy drive, or file system is located like you can under windows where mounting a network drive appears under my cmputer. the reason i ask is because we are trying to move people from windows xp to zorin and trying to make the move as seemless as possible.