This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

it's very dark when run Zorin live DVD ???

goldenfish

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53:48 pm

Hi all, i'm come from Viet Nam.
I was download zorin OS version 64 bit from this http://zorin-os.com/free.html

when i boot from dvd, i can see the menu boot very ok, then i chose the first line (live cd ??)

the screen was flash once then it's become to dark :o and continue to boot

i was try to look at screen and can see the taskbar, menu right click... but very hard to see (no backlight)

my laptop is acer aspire 5732Z

CPU: Dual core T4400 2.2 GHz
RAM: DDR3 4GB
HDD: 250 GB
VGA: mobile intel (r) 4 series express chipset family

Please help me :(

rscott4581

Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:10:32 pm

This is a problem with the Intel chipset and the newer kernel I'm afraid I have the Acer 5734Z and mine does the same thing.. but this does work! ( I originally found this in the Ubuntu Forums and decided to keep a copy just in case )

If not installed:
Boot from the CD, purple screen is displayed press any key to enter startup options. In the boot options choose the language and press F6. Press ESC and write at the end of the line that says Startup Options:
acpi_osi = Linux
Press ENTER to start the LiveCD. When loading up press the brightness keys.

If it is already installed:
In the grub you press B to edit the kernel line. Add at the end of the line acpi_osi = Linux kernel. Press the brightness up key while starting.
When you start editing the /etc/rc.local and add before exit 0:
setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00
Edit /etc/default/grub, edit the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash acpi_osi = Linux"
Update grub with:
sudo update-grub2

goldenfish

Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:55:47 pm

rscott4581

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:05:26 pm

If you was not turning up the brightness as it was booting it will just go blank, after hitting enter press and hold the fn key and turn up brightness with your right arrow key while doing it also when you input this not sure if it even matters but I left out the spaces like this acpi_osi=Linux The only difference between the 2 laptops we have is that I have the T4500 CPU, but otherwise they are identical...

goldenfish

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:27:54 pm

oh, it's was working yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14 ... hotyy.png/

thanks in advance :D

rscott4581

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:37:05 pm

Sweet!

jcinpv

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:49:45 pm

For my T4300 I had to do the following:
1. Insert Live Boot CD
2. When the initial menu came up, press the TAB key.
3. Add "acpi_osi=Linux" to the boot parameters.
4. Press ENTER and Immediately press the Fn key and the right arrow. The screen brightness changed slightly.

I was then able to see the display as the Live Boot installed. I then proceed to install to the hard drive.

After the install to the hard drive was done, the display was normal and a restart was required.

During the restart, when grub started, I pressed 'e' to edit the boot parameters as given in the instructions above.

However, BEFORE pressing ENTER I pressed the Fn key and the right arrow. The screen brightness changed slightly.

I then edited /etc/rc.local and /etc/default/grub per the above instructions followed by executing sudo update-grub2.

After the next restart, the system came up normally.