This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Nwbie needs some help with zorin 5

carlynn

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:55:59 pm

If anyone has any suggestions for the problems I am having I would greatly appreciate it. I am new to Linux and want to get away from Windows.

First when I am typing the letters, there is a long delay before you see the letters. I checked the mouse and keyboard settings and can not see what I could change. It really bothers me to type as I am a fairly fast typist and when you can not see the letters appearing it is hard to use. I am typing this on Windows 7 mail and I do not have that problem here.

The second thing is I have it set to look like Windows 7. When you go to Windows 7 in the start menu and right click on send to desktop shortcut you get an icon that looks like the program with an curved arrow on it that you are sending to the desktop.

On zorin you get to choose send to desktop and you see the icon on the desktop but no curved arrow. If you pick send to desktop shortcut you just get a little piece of white paper with the bottom corner turned up on the desktop.

Now I am not sure if it is good to send the program there because that looks like what you would be doing when it does not say shortcut, but it is nice to have the icon for the program on the desktop instead of the white piece of paper, it does say what program it is on the white paper.

Hope I have described this so it is not to hard to understand.

carlynn

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19:54 am

Thank you for the help. My machine is a Compaq presario desktop SR 5010NX. I put Zorin on this machine first to see how I was going to like it before putting it on my new machine. I have run in to the typing thing before but it always went away and I never knew why it was doing that.

Can you tell me if you have ever had any experience with using crossover to run windows programs on the linux? I want to be able to run paint shop pro and HTML Kit which is an html editor. I have done research and found out that wine and also play on linux will not work for those 2 programs. I know I can use Gimp but I spend so much time learning paint shop pro I really don't want to learn another program. Also the same with Kompozer I already know Kit so well I want to stick with it.

I have no idea how to install a program on Linux yet if I buy this crossover. They show a bunch of different ways to do it on different versions but I don't see anywhere how to do it on zoirn 5.

Carlynn

Wolfman

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:11:34 pm

The little white paper on the desktop just needs your permission, double click on it and mark as trusted, then double click again to open it!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

Linx

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18:50 am

also what version of Zorin do you have installed ?

it everything seems to lag, try using a 32 bit version or a lighter version of Zorin ...